Thread: Match Preview: Western Force vs Crusaders

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Match Preview: Western Force vs Crusaders

Excluding the aberration of 2007, games between the Western Force and the Crusaders have been nothing short of epic. This is the big clash on our calendar. This is the one the fans are waiting for. The Crusaders are the benchmark of Super rugby and last year’s win would have to rate as one of the clubs finest and most thrilling. Can the Force do it again and bring back some much needed credibility to their season?

We can definitely expect another blockbuster in front of a bumper crowd. Last year’s match was a sell-out, the 2009 trial between the two teams was a sell-out (on a long weekend no less!) and both matches played at Subiaco Oval drew in crowds of over 27,000. Although perhaps not an entirely pro-Force crowd, it should be 16th man on the field on Saturday night and hopefully lift the team if we are still in the hunt at the 60th minute mark.

The long awaited return of David Pocock, along with watching the Crusaders limping off the plane at Perth airport, will have buoyed the Force in the lead up to the game. Pocock returns for just his 3rd game of the season and his timely return occurs coincidentally with the return of Richie McCaw from an injured foot, which has limited him to just 30 minutes of game time this season. Other Force players who will be available for selection after an injury lay off will be the quintessential grafter, Matt Hodgson, and backs Mitch Inman and David Smith.

The Crusaders meanwhile are not so fortunate with injured players coming back into the side. No less than five All Blacks have been left out of the side in Brad Thorn, Sam Whitelock, Kieran Read, Andy Ellis and Daniel Carter. The loss of the former three is devastating for the Crusaders line-out, while Carter and Ellis’ absence forces Blackadder to persist with a halves pairing that didn’t cut the mustard against the Highlanders last weekend. Several other players, including utility forward Joe Wheeler, are also unavailable.

Despite their injuries, the Crusaders are still a danger team right across the park and this undoubtedly starts with their front row. The undisputed form pigs in the competition have troubled better front rows than the Force’s. Pek Cowan, Nathan Charles and Matt Dunning will have their work cut out for them to gain parity, or at least minimize the damage, from and all All Black front row of Wyatt Crocket, Corey Flynn and Ben Franks. The luxury of having a prop of the calibre of Owen Franks on the bench is not afforded to many teams. It is going to be a tough night in the scrums.

The Force will, however, find some reprieve in the line-outs where Nathan Sharpe and Sam Wykes continue their excellent partnership. The Crusaders have struggled to cope with their injuries in the second row and have resorted to calling in ex-Crusader captain Reuben Thorne to take a place on the bench while Chris Jack, who is arguably over the hill, and Luke Romano, who is arguably a bit too green, take starting honours. There will be an opportunity here for Sharpe to do the same kind of damage he inflicted on the Brumbies two weeks ago and win the battle for territory.

The highlight of the match will, as usual, be the clash of the two back rows and the ensuing scrap-fest at the breakdown. Last weekend we were treated to a showdown between line-out kingpins Victor Matfield and Nathan Sharpe; this weekend will be a master class at the breakdown from David Pocock and Richie McCaw. Pocock is more than ably supported by form forwards, Richard Brown and Ben McCalman- both no doubt keen to impress Robbie Deans. McCaw is also not without strong support from young dynamos Matt Todd and George Whitelock. The Crusaders pair are not short on talent, however you can’t help but feel the Force will have the Crusader’s number here, particularly with Matt Hodgson ready to fire from the bench. You can bet your ass they will need to with the backline that the men in red are about to unleash.

Few sides in world rugby would turn away backs like Israel Dagg, Zac Guildford, $onny Bill-Williams, and Robbie Fruean. Between them there is enough x-factor and talent to make three seasons of a so named television show. There will be no hiding place in defence for the Force backs. James O’Connor in particular will have a tough assignment in neutralizing a rampaging $onny Bill-Williams. He needs to have to confidence in his team mates to be able to come in low and let them worry about the off-loads. The one big hope will be that ascendancy at the breakdown will make their lives a whole lot easier. The Force’s defensive effort against the Bulls was pretty pleasing while our attack has been coming along steadily in the past few weeks. Consistent selection and the return of Willie Ripia have helped a lot here.

Given the strengths and weaknesses of the Crusaders around the park, Richard Graham will no doubt be looking towards a game-plan somewhat similar to that employed against the Brumbies. The Crusaders can attack from anywhere but keeping them locked in their own territory will remove some of that freedom and give us time to scramble in defence if they do make a break. If the boys come out with the same intensity that they showed against the Bulls, we should win the battle between the two packs and wreck havoc on the breakdown as the game wears on. Interestingly, last year’s effort was won on the back of our pack with all three of our tries coming from our forwards. The same mentality and teamwork is a must.

The Prediction
    I say this every week, but this game is without a doubt a bookmaker’s conundrum. I don’t envy the vbookie this weekend. The Force have only won three in a row once in their history, while the Crusaders don’t often lose back to back, especially when their finals aspirations are on the line. Then again, the Force did win last year’s fixture and have recently been in a rich vein of form. An injury depleted Crusaders side is not the calibre of beast that we overcame last year. It’s hard not to see this one being close, if not breathtakingly so. Have your heart pills on standby guys. This one is too close to call- I’m going with 3 points in either direction.

The Teams
    Force:
    1. Pek Cowan
    2. Nathan Charles
    3. Matt Dunning
    4. Sam Wykes
    5. Nathan Sharpe (Captain)
    6. Richard Brown
    7. David Pocock
    8. Ben McCalman
    9. Brett Sheehan
    10. Willie Ripia
    11. David Smith
    12. James O'Connor
    13. Patrick Dellit
    14. Nick Cummins
    15. Cameron Shepherd
    Reserves
    16. Ben Whittaker
    17. Kieran Longbottom
    18. Matt Hodgson
    19. Tevita Metuisela
    20. James Stannard
    21. Rory Sidey
    22. Alfie Mafi

Crusaders:
    Wyatt Crockett, Corey Flynn, Ben Franks, Luke Romano, Chris Jack, George Whitelock, Matt Todd, Richie McCaw, Kahn Fotuali'i, Matt Berquist, Zac Guildford, Sonny Bill Williams, Robbie Fruean, Sean Maitland, Israel Dagg. Res: Quentin MacDonald, Owen Franks, Joe Wheeler/Reuben Thorne, Jonathan Poff, Willie Heinz, Tom Marshall, Adam Whitelock.

For the fans:
    Just to remind you what you have been missing out on these last 7 weeks....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Joc vs sbw. Cool
    Posted via Mobile Device

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Love the video poor Welsh 14 at the 3:26 - 3:28 mark gets more than he bargained for. It looks as though Pocock had a little to much water.

You can see the impacts he has even against the best of the best.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    This is one of those games you'd be tempted to tip them to draw again...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'll have my (real) money on a draw.

I love the counter ruck Pocock puts on the Saffas. Makes Schalk Burger hit the ground so hard that Burger tries to go for the eyes in retaliation. Mug.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Chris Jack is not as over the hill as I would have hoped. And the back rows are actually quite even. It will be close I fear. We need our defensive line tight, aggressive and rushing up. Playing for territory is probably the way to go, but we will have to chance our arm at some time if we are to win this one. The key is to make the right decisions in defense and attack, knowing when to be patient. Will be a real test of our maturity and where we have come thus far.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Jack isn't the threat that he was 3 or 4 years ago. Sharpie on the other hand has only got better with age.

I think you have to look at this as the collective- McCalman, Brown, Pocock and Hodgson will probably work better as a trio rather than necessarily being individually better than the Crusaders backrow. The stability of Sharpe and Wykes adding to that at the breakdown should help too.

vCash
    I'm with James here. front row, we will be up against it all night, they're much better than us.

Back five is a different story though, to potentially have Bam for eighty, but replace him with Hodgeo if he doesn't last along with the solidity of the combination we are putting on the park....my call is it more than makes up the difference, set piece will be pretty square, with scrums going to the saders and line outs going to the force, but we've got four of the best loose forwards in Australia, arguably the southern hemisphere here, the breakdown should be ours with the guys they have out..........at least I hope so!

C'mon the

vCash
    Must be the best Force line up this season... They always give the Crusaders a good run... really great to see Dave Pocock back on the field...

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Loosies will win the game. Control the breakdown and we are there. Best chance ever to nail them with their injuries. Our team looks good.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Damn right TLH. The Blues backs versus the Force in round 4 included Isaiah Toeava, Benson Stanley, Luke McAlister, Rene Ranger, Joe Rokocoko, Jared Payne. Plus Stephen Brett was on the bench. We nullified them by aggressive tackling around the fringes and dominance at the breakdown preventing them from getting momentum. No matter who the Crusaders have in their backline they will struggle without good quality ball. Owning the breakdown with our loose forwards will limit their usably ball to scrums and kick returns.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Today I've been going through this seasons games on Foxtel IQ attached to my DVD recorded to give a "written report" to our isolated member who doesn't see many games.....

So on that note, what do need to do this weekend is ---

DON'T GET A YELLOW OR RED CARD!!!!!

So far this year we have lost

Matt Hodgson 10 mins
    Rory Sidey 61 mins
    Nick Cummins 2 mins
    Jono Jenkins 4 mins
    James O'Connor 10 mins
    David Smith 6 mins
    James O'Connor 10 mins

103 minutes with less then 15 players!!!

And in that time we had 59 points scored against us and LOST 2, possibly 3 games because of the cards.

So from a team that for I think, 2 years??? hardly received a card, not good in 2011.

So guys.... discipline is required and we will win.

vCash
    How many counter attacking oppurtunities do we want to give the crusaders?!?!?!!

vCash
    Who is the worse defender: David Smith or Danny Cipriani?

Apprentice
    vCash
    Does anyone have a link to a streaming source? I'm in Singapore at the moment and there's no TV coverage!