Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Western Force vs Crusaders: Match Report

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93 View Post
    Saying he is old and a has-been refutes absolutely nothing i said. If you think 40-50 year olds can't be fit enough to ref rugby games, go and watch this years Busselton Ironman and check out the 40+ age groups, they are just about the fastest age group. (39-45). Not to mention how much these guys (the refs) actually train, it is a huge insult to say he doesn't do enough to keep up with games.

And if Julian reffed that game i'm sure everyone would have come out and said "why are we getting unexperienced refs", and blaming him for the loss...

His age is pretty much irrelevant, but maybe you should send the IRB a letter informing them he may be too old to keep up with games at the world cup.
    Ok, maybe it's not his age, maybe he chooses to trot around the field slowly.....the age comment was (I think) more related to him learning......if he's 40 odd, he's probably pretty set in his ways, I know I am!, Vinny Munro hasn't learned a whole lot from the first game I saw him, ignored the tackler not releasing, players coming from the side and only pinged the saders for sealing off because it seems there's been a SANZAR directive based upon the games I've seen this weekend!

Positives, Georgie Ayoub actually awarded us a try (IIRC that's a first!)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    At the start of the game JOC's leg was strapped, but after half time it wasn't, and it seemed he wasn't as keen to kick, any thoughts?

vCash
    JOC took some heavy head knocks and that was why he wasnt kicking.. he was not so crash hot in the second half... dunno why they didnt sub him.

vCash
    While I didn't see the entire match , what i did see i thought the Force lads played some smart and very solid rugby. I did get to see Sheps try which was fantastic passage of play by both teams. One of the best I've seen this year, and great to see an aussie team on the rewarding end. It was a moment of play when all the Force players knew where to be and they got the points... I'm looking forward to their next match.

vCash
    Firstly, great game, very exciting from start to finish. Hugely impressed by Kieran, again, he's coming on great guns.

The two gripes I have are:

1) Travel - we got to Perth Central at 7.30 just in time to see two trains head off for Midland and Armadale. But the next train heading out that way was at 7.52. No special trains, and a train arrived from Freo and was taken out of service, so trundled down to Claisebrook anyway. Poor planning by TransPerth, and why no specials?

2) Killing teams off - from when Richie saw yellow until about 10 to go (about 25 minutes!) we were the better side and looked far more likely to score than the Crusaders did. Even their fans had shut-up! But rather than go for the jugular and close the match out we started kicking aimlessly again, inviting them to run and letting them back into the match. Not the first time we've lost points through our inability to be ruthless when playing the better rugby.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    But rather than go for the jugular and close the match out we started kicking aimlessly again, inviting them to run and letting them back into the match. Not the first time we've lost points through our inability to be ruthless when playing the better rugby.
    Yea, i'd like to see an improvement on the kicking game. Ripia is getting better every week, but it is taking a while for him to find his feet. Sometimes anything is better than those box kicks, i'd like to see Ripia involved more.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It wouldn't have been as big a deal if it wasn't the Crusaders on the receiving end. They make a bad kick look abominable. There is almost no other team in the competition who comes near them for counterattacking.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Yea, i'd like to see an improvement on the kicking game. Ripia is getting better every week, but it is taking a while for him to find his feet. Sometimes anything is better than those box kicks, i'd like to see Ripia involved more.
    I agree the kicking needs to improve but with that we need to get chasers to follow up It is no use we kick but we allow the opposition to run it back without any pressure on them

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    the chasers have to be put onside by the kicker,then all come up in a line to prevent a gap,a difficult proposition often

vCash
    Ripia just needs time... plenty of talent in that lad... he'll get a lot better...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Ok, maybe it's not his age, maybe he chooses to trot around the field slowly.....the age comment was (I think) more related to him learning......if he's 40 odd, he's probably pretty set in his ways, I know I am!, Vinny Munro hasn't learned a whole lot from the first game I saw him, ignored the tackler not releasing, players coming from the side and only pinged the saders for sealing off because it seems there's been a SANZAR directive based upon the games I've seen this weekend!

Positives, Georgie Ayoub actually awarded us a try (IIRC that's a first!)
    Listening through the ears he was puffed within minutes. He made several comments to the TMO/helpers that he couldn't chat as he was out of breathe.

At the end of the day consistency sir. One of the guys said that they can't have been held to be able to get up. So then Cummings must also not have been held.

I think the TMO could have stepped in for these, otherwise, what good is he for?

Otherwise great game and once again, "if only" for those games earlier in the year we should have won and we would be gunning for finals.

Champion
    vCash
    Is Ripia here next year???????? The backs just are not quiet ticking.... I think JOC got the backline going forward more personally I know he cant play everywhere but we a full list of players now I would like to see Gene come into 12 again.... but I guess JOC will tell Graham where he wants to play....

vCash
    Ripia is a development player, therefore ostensibly committed to playing in Oz for three years, however only has a two year deal with the force. I think he's doing fine, without him, Shep wouldn't have scored last week, rabbit wasn't anywhere near that one, rabbit is also feeding off the kick/pass that ripia gives. The attack was better, you're never going to put fifty on the saders, it wasn't bad to score two! I look forward to the tahs!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theforceguy View Post
    I agree the kicking needs to improve but with that we need to get chasers to follow up It is no use we kick but we allow the opposition to run it back without any pressure on them
    Yes - it seems like we either kick too deep or the kicker (or someone behind him) doesn't put in the effort to get there. It doesn't seem to be lack of ability - eg Cullet was in a position to do so but didn't.

Can anyone suggest a tactical reason why we would not be chasing - particularly after Dagg had carved us up on the counter the first (and second) time?

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    The better question might be why, when we kick early and get punished, then kick less and climb back into the game, the inevitable response to being in front is to go defensive and start kicking again...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast