Thread: Fans savage 'fragile, mediocre' Waratahs

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Fans savage 'fragile, mediocre' Waratahs

Fans savage 'fragile, mediocre' Waratahs

Jamie Pandaram, May 20, 2011

ANGRY Waratahs supporters questioned the team's culture and the players' self-belief during a largely accusatory encounter with players and coaching staff.

In the first of a planned series of question and answer sessions between the team and supporters at the Sydney Football Stadium, a panel of coach Chris Hickey, assistants Michael Foley and Scott Bowen, skipper Phil Waugh, leadership group member Drew Mitchell and team manager Chris Webb wore blunt criticism of their performances and style.

Many of the questioners were expressed exasperation at the Waratahs' style of play, a couple rubbished the use of statistics to counter the argument they are not an attacking team, and there was bellowing over the top of chief executive Jason Allen, who was moderating the event.

The most cutting comments were aimed at the club's culture and the mental strength of the players.

At one point NSWRU chairman Edwin Zemancheff, sitting in the auditorium with the members, declared: ''If we have to change the culture, we will change the culture.''

One man said: ''The culture at this club is fragile. When it comes to that point where champion teams say, 'I'm still going to run the ball, I'm still going to play that attacking rugby,' this team doesn't. When it gets into a bit of trouble it goes back into its shell. That's why we see such little attacking rugby, because fundamentally, this group does not truly believe.''

Another, who said he stopped attending Waratahs games eight years ago, added: ''There seems to be to be a sense of mediocrity, that mediocrity is acceptable … there is an absence of accountability … and I don't see any evidence of pride.

''You guys are in the entertainment business, you've got a responsibility to entertain people, so when it comes to accountability, who are you accountable to? It's certainly not the people here.

''[Supporters] have been dished up mediocrity week after week, and they're supposed to accept that and remain loyal, I find that very, very arrogant. I feel sorry that that culture, as I see it, is so entrenched in this particular team.''

When Hickey presented PowerPoint statistics showing the Waratahs were equal fourth among the try-scoring sides in the Super Rugby competition, and pointed to the high injury rate of his team, a disgruntled fan said: ''I am disappointed to hear, Chris, that you're hanging your hat on statistics, when really the only statistic that counts at the moment is that you guys are haemorrhaging fans to the point where it's unsustainable.

''The chasm between you guys and the fans in the biggest I've ever seen, and I've been playing the game since I was a toddler.

''There seems to be no cohesion and no trust between the backs and the forwards. I think that's predominantly why the backs are kicking. They're not convinced the forwards are going to retain the football.''

Waugh rejected suggestions the team has a soft underbelly, pointing to the form of recent seasons.

''If you go through the squad and in a lot of ways, in 2008 and 2009, we overperformed,'' he said afterwards. ''The reality is we came third last year, and if you looked at other teams in the competition, the rosters they had and the players they had on the field in comparison to the teams we had out on the field, with international experience, I think we achieved a lot more than what people take on.

''That is important to recognise, when there's questions about culture I think that being able to do that is a pretty good indication that our culture's in the right spot. I think we've won a lot of games, just, on the back of culture and belief.

''You can look at the Force at the moment, they've got many Wallabies in their team, and they don't know how to win. Whether that's a passion or cultural thing … it's a bit rich to throw that out.''

The supporters intensified their questions of accountability, and when Allen explained that the organisation had drawn an additional 20 per cent in sponsorship money this year, one man cut him off to ask if the sponsors were happy. As Allen continued with his explanation, the man burst out: ''Are the sponsors happy? Answer the question! Yes or no?''

Allen retorted: ''The answer is yes. That's why our sponsorship is growing.''

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    ''You can look at the Force at the moment, they've got many Wallabies in their team, and they don't know how to win. Whether that's a passion or cultural thing … it's a bit rich to throw that out.''
    Let the bears pay the bear tax

Focus on your own problems Phil while I hope we focus on ours

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Phil is a dick. The sooner he is out of Australian Rugby the better. Although knowing the Waratahs, he will probably be attack coach for the team the year after his retirement.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Sounds like he is spiteful of our Wallabies most of which are backrowers which stops him getting into the Wallabies.

Oh and by the way the Force have never been Booed of the pitch by their fans.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Champion
    vCash
    Dear Muppet Man.

Due to your injuries and boring sh1tty rugby you and the re-tah'ds play you are down in the pecking order, just to get something in your head this is where you stand.

1) - Pocock
    2) - Hodgson
    3) - Robinson (QLD)
    4) - Saffy
    5) - Brown
    6) - Palu
    7) - Higginbothom
    8) - Ben Mac
    9) - I'll be generous and put you at #9 on the list.

yours sincerely

Robbie Deans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    he will probably be attack coach for the team the year after his retirement.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Although knowing the Waratahs, he will probably be attack coach for the team the year after his first retirement.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Dear Muppet Man.

Due to your injuries and boring sh1tty rugby you and the re-tah'ds play you are down in the pecking order, just to get something in your head this is where you stand.

1) - Pocock
    2) - Hodgson
    3) - Robinson (QLD)
    4) - Saffy
    5) - Brown
    6) - Palu
    7) - Higginbothom
    8) - Ben Mac
    9) - I'll be generous and put you at #9 on the list.

yours sincerely

Robbie Deans.
    Be fair, Saffy, brown, hooters, pall and Ben aren't really #7s. But Colby Faingaa, Michael Hooper and Jono Jenkins are, the only reason the Rebels aren't represented is Micheal Lipman being a pom

C'mon the

vCash
    Great to see the Tah fans ripping their team a new @sshole. I applaud the initiative. It shows an open mindedness in the management of the Tahs that is new and refreshing. It's also great for the players to hear what the punters want.

To be fair, it's a pretty hard way to make a living.

It is important for the game and the turnstyles that the franchise produces a product that will make the punters come back again.

With the depth in NSW rugby, it is a mystery that they are so poorly performed. It has to be a cultural problem. I think the organisation has some major shortcomings in their recruitment system.

Change is in the winds.

The Force supporters are of course just so grateful to be able to go and view professional rugby, that we'll put up with substandard performances and negative rugby.

Despite pumpkin heads arrogant comments regarding the Force, if you think about it........he has a legitimate point. Our team is littered with wallabies and we come up short far too often.

We are proud of our lads because they always have a dig. Effort and committment has never been the limiting factor at the Force. I think that is the difference that pumpkin head has overlooked.

Waugh himself never gives anything less that 100% to be fair. The team however is an enigma, wrapped in a riddle.

viva la Force

Controversy corner

vCash
    "The Force supporters are of course just so grateful to be able to go and view professional rugby, that we'll put up with substandard performances and negative rugby"

No we wont! How about the Force undertaking the same forum to enable us to quiz RG on why he continues to use JM's play book?

vCash
    An excellent piece old feller. But very disappointing to see you writing in Yank. Or is it Gen Y? You'll be getting your hair streaked next.

Tah fans ripping their team a new @sshole.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I see your comprehension of gen y keyboard etiquette is tip top
    Glass houses

Dead set, turn it up it's a gee up

Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfiep View Post
    "The Force supporters are of course just so grateful to be able to go and view professional rugby, that we'll put up with substandard performances and negative rugby"

No we wont! How about the Force undertaking the same forum to enable us to quiz RG on why he continues to use JM's play book?
    Agreed

RG is a belter of massive proportions.

There was an interesting point raised in the rugby club regarding the Force attacking style.

They all sweep to one side of the field and run sideways, offer no changes in attack and run their backs into the sideline before hoofing it aimlessly.

At least the deadsh1t isn't at the helm of the wallabies anymore

Controversy corner

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Further evidence that Phil Waugh is a dick-

Current Waratah Wallabies*:
    Kurtley Beale, Drew Mitchell, Lachie Turner, Rob Horne, Berrick Barnes, Luke Burgess, Wycliff Palu, Dean Mumm, Benn Robinson, Sekope Kepu, Tatafu Polota-Nau. That's practically a full first XV

Current Force Wallabies*:
    Nathan Sharpe, David Pocock, Richard Brown, Matt Hodgson, Ben McCalman, James O'Connor. And four of those guys are playing for three spots.

*Played Wallabies games in 2010 or games in 2009 and would've been selected in 2010 if not injured.

Sure Horne has been injured (Waratahs shouldn't bloody play him until he is 100% fit) but the Waratahs have pretty much a Wallaby standard backline.

Just feeds into the arrogance that is Phil Waugh. Forget actually looking at yourself and listening to the fans; just make more excuses instead. How do go from the ruthless style of play in the first two rounds against the Rebels and Reds to losing at home to the Cheetahs? Explain that one away Phil. The Force may have plenty of problems but that doesn't mean a thing to the Waratahs situation.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue