Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ACT Stun the Reds 22-14

vCash

ACT Stun the Reds 22-14

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/su...-1226069349123

Mighty effort from the brumbies. Still a bit rough in execution but the effort in defense and at the breakdown was huge.
    Phibbs was a revelation. Goes to show running with Valentine for so long was bad.....bad.......bad. Giteau also played well. No surprise due to playing behind a dominant pack. I also thought he showed some good leadership qualities when the reds were hitting back and to settle the troops.....apparantly gits told Moore to shut the F%$K up when he stepped up to take the penalty in the end. Personally I thought gits made the right decision. Dont give the queenslanders anything.

Pretty much a blueprint to how the EWF should play the Reds. Pretty much what we did the first time we played them. Disruption at the breakdown and pressure on Genia. Genia was getting very frustrated and Quade Cooper sat a lot deeper and rarely got quick ball on the front foot. I think theres an oppurtunity for our improved scrum to embarrass the reds pack as well.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Hoolly Doolly; 04-06-11 at 22:16.

vCash
    You can hardly get pissy with Giteau for taking the points, this is professional rugby and if they don't wear your Super 14 strip they're your enemy and you take as much from them as you can. Internationals start in June and not a moment before. Remember how pissy everyone got last year when the 14-rookies-and-a-winger-Bulls team got smashed by the Stormers conveniently having both finals played in SA. Kicking for touch rather than the gift 3 points would have sent the Kiwis and the Saffas into cardiac arrest.

I'm not sure about Tim Horan's comment about Giteau being 'dead cert for the world cup' but he's reminded everyone what he can do when he's got some decent go forward ball from his pack. A.Faingaa got so crazy predictable, 2 defenders would rush out of the line to pounce on him, and shut it all down. I've missed the recent Reds games but he didn't seem like all the fuss Marto was making over him 'vying for Wallabies starting positions'. But his pack was being showed up, so maybe it was just tonight.

Rugby union, the game of forwards.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    Rugby union, the game of forwards.
    Truer words were never spoken.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    You can hardly get pissy with Giteau for taking the points.
    You are correct I will not get pissy, but considering the bulk of the wallabies are going to come from the reds we will see how they feel about it at the first contact training session. Moore and Giteau have very little respect for one another after their spat here in perth as well as last nights game that is very evident.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    After the Brumbies effort against the Reds, I'm wondering if the ARU don't hand down a directive that JO'C and Shepherd aren't to be rushed back, and don't we think Pocock, Sharpie, Bennie Mac, etc need a week off after all the effort they've put in recently.

vCash
    Yep - Giteau told Moore to F#@& Off! I'm the captain! Nice one Matt.

I also believe that the Reds didn't even deserve a bonus point, but Gitaeu just proved, by taking the kick, that he plays only for himself. It was HIS opportunity to gloat.

There would have been no shame in kicking it into touch - in fact, that would be the percentage play, but he opted to assume some risk (slight though it was), to enjoy some perverse personal retribution.

I'm sure that this may weigh on the minds of Wallaby selectors.

vCash
    That was a pretty brutal encounter and the Reds have more than a couple of injury concerns. So much for schoolboy rugby. There is a long injury list in the run up to a much needed home final. Mike Harris, Peter Hynes, Rod Davies, Beau Robinson and now Lucas and Ioane. Things are gonna get even tougher when they face a similarly relentless defence at NIB next week. They will have their destiny very much in their own hands as there's no way the Force will lay down to help them on their way.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I would have to watch it again but I'm pretty sure they called for the shot at goal then moore came over said his 2 cents and giteau told the ref they will put the ball into touch but the ref said you said shot so now you have take the kick. Not sure about telling Moore to f*** off or anything ...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Moore said something..the Gits was heard to say via the refs mic

" Fuck off...I'm the captain"

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Would have loved to have seen a miss kick bounce off the posts for a length of the field under the dot...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Kicking for touch rather than the gift 3 points would have sent the Kiwis and the Saffas into cardiac arrest.
    Maybe it would have been acceptable just for the sake of that.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Moore and Giteau kiss and make up

Standout hooker Stephen Moore and Brumbies skipper Matt Giteau both apologised for a post-hooter spat which took some attention away from a rare and spirited victory on Saturday night.

For the second time in three weeks, Giteau and Moore engaged in a heated exchange about the captain's choice of play from a penalty after time had run out.

Leading 19-14 over the table-topping Queensland Reds, Moore urged his Wallabies teammate to knock the ball into touch rather than kick for goal.

Giteau told the hooker to "shut the f... up, I'm the captain" before duly slotting his sixth goal of the match to deny the Reds a bonus point.

Brumbies coach Tony Rea backed Giteau's decision and said Moore took no time to say sorry in the dressing room.

"He's the captain and it's his call and I watched Stephen apologise to him in the sheds after so that's accepted," Rea said.

Giteau also apologised on his Twitter account, saying: "For anyone that heard swearing at the end of the game, I'm sorry! Should not b part of game so sorry lil kids/ladies that were offended."

Moore, who is tipped to take over the Brumbies captaincy next season when Giteau leaves for French club Toulon, also raised Giteau's ire against the Force a fortnight ago when he wanted to play on from within his quarter at the death in their 13-all draw.

Giteau said the hooker was so exhausted that he feared the consequences of a missed kick at goal with the Reds still within striking distance.

"He was out on his feet so he didn't want to take any chances," Giteau said in the post-match press conference.

"But these local derbies, if you have an opportunity from my point of view not to give the opposition any points I'm going to take it.

"I felt I was striking the ball well and it was pretty sweet to kick it over."

A Queensland product and former Reds player, Moore denied he wanted to allow the home side a bonus point and help their standings.

"Not really mate. I just wanted to win the game at that stage," he said.

While the incident took some gloss off the Brumbies' third win of the year, it was nowhere near as bad as a season-ending knee injury to lock Mark Chisholm, which ends his 102-match career for the ACT team.

The eight-point loss ended a 12-match winning streak by Queensland at Suncorp Stadium dating back to round one last year when NSW No.8 Wycliff Palu stole a 30-28 win with a last-minute try.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8257457

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    After the Brumbies effort against the Reds, I'm wondering if the ARU don't hand down a directive that JO'C and Shepherd aren't to be rushed back, and don't we think Pocock, Sharpie, Bennie Mac, etc need a week off after all the effort they've put in recently.
    Stuff that. Put the queenslanders to the sword. Smash em!! Kill EM!!!! DIE QUEENSLAND DIE!!! he he he jokes :p As mentioned earlier by Robyn, if we or the brumbies were seen to be giving the reds any favours Australia would lose credibilty. Save all the dodgy stuff for formula 1 and rugby league.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Forget the fact they were playing the Reds. They had a choice between a 100% chance of winning a game (kicking for touch) of rugby versus a 99% chance of winning a game of rugby (kicking for goal). You don't even put it in doubt. Anyone remember the Cheetahs game in 2008 they missed a shot at goal after the siren when they could've kicked for touch? Drew Mitchell ran it back and we won it with a penalty of our own. How stupid can you be to put a guaranteed result to risk? It's not about doing the Reds any favours its about winning a game.

I'm with Moore- also he had a great game from what I saw of it.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So, if I was offended then I wasn't apologised to?
    You are such a twat Gits.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast