Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Tablets etc

vCash
    I think I'll stick to my Filofax for most of my work stuff, with a biro....very reliable! And also confidential...no one can read my writing..fits into a small handbag, can be read and used in bright sunlight!...my 'tablet' thingey okay on a Sunday morning sitting up in bed checking TWF..and offering MHOs!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    I have been thinking about getting one of these for my 10 year old daughter the Zoe Monster.

Would appreciate any opinions.
    Here's an opinion hot off the interweb

vCash
    Google's Nexus 7 could loosen iPad's grip

APPLE has held off all comers in the tablet market but that dominance may wobble with the launch of Google's cheap, quick and nicely executed Nexus 7.

It's hard to argue with the price of the Nexus 7, which hits local store shelves this week at $319 for the 16GB version. You can buy the Nexus 7 online a bit cheaper and there's also an 8GB version online for $249.

The 16GB Nexus 7, which is WiFi only, sells for at least $120 less than the cheapest Apple tablet, the $429 16GB WiFi-only iPad 2.

Why so cheap? First up, the Nexus 7 has a small, seven-inch screen, whereas full-size tablets like the iPad come with 10.4-inch screens.

The advantages of a small screen include light weight, the Nexus 7 comes in at just 340g, and being able to comfortably wield the device with one hand -- which is convenient for bedtime e-book sessions. Also, it fitted in my jacket pocket. Try that with an iPad.

While the Nexus 7 may have a small screen, Google and Nexus 7 manufacturer Asus have not skimped on tablet essentials.

The device sports a speedy, 1.2GHz, quad core Nvidia Tegra 3 processor mated to 1GB of system memory and runs the latest Jelly Bean 4.1 version of the Android operating system.

The snappy hardware and slick Jelly Bean OS are coupled to a quality 7 inch, 1280 by 800 pixel Gorilla glass screen.

I found the screen very good for eyeballing all forms of digital media from movies to e-books and web pages. The multi-touch piece of the screen is also a class act. Unlike many cheap Android tablets, the Nexus 7 was slick, quick and pleasing to drive.

I also liked the soft and grippy back cover on the Nexus 7 - here's one tablet where you don't have to buy a cover so that it doesn't slide out of your paws and smash at the first opportunity.

Battery life appears very good. Playing a movie with the screen brightness cranked up to full, the speaker volume maxed and Bluetooth and WiFi on, saw the 4325mAh battery deliver about nine hours of juice.

To keep the price down, the new Google tablet deletes a number of features that Android tablet buyers may have come to expect.

There's no SD slot for augmenting the gadget's memory so you are stuck with either 8GB or 16GB for the life of the device.

There's no back-mounted camera, just a fairly mediocre 1.2 megapixel resolution front-mounted camera for video-conferencing and Google does not offer a Nexus 7 with cellular connectivity so if you want to use the gadget online away from WiFi, you will need to pair it up with 3G/4G phone over Bluetooth.

It's fussy about power supply and comes with a warning that using a charger other than the one in the box could damage the gadget. I tried using an Apple iPhone charger with the Nexus 7 and it didn't work.

First-in buyers score a couple of bonuses in the form of a $25 voucher to spend in Google's Play online media store and a free copy of a Transformers movie.

Google is no doubt very keen for Nexus 7 buyers to get on to Google Play and spend up on e-books, movies and songs.

It comes liberally populated with apps that push you towards Google Play and the tablet's cheap price indicates Google's tablet strategy is similar to Amazon's and it's Kindle Fire tablet where the hardware is a stalking horse for selling online wares.

That said, you are free with the Nexus 7 to go and buy stuff in other Android-friendly ecosystems such as Amazon.

Will it sell in large numbers? That remains to be seen. I doubt whether it will convert many iPad punters, especially those who have already spent up on Apple apps and accessories, although in households where there is only one iPad, the cheap but seemingly robust Nexus 7 may become the second, third and fourth family tablet.

In the Android world, we've seen models such as the first Samsung Galaxy Tab and the Dell Streak fail to make much of a dent in the market. There's been a string of cheap Chinese-made small tablets but all are characterised by unresponsive hardware.

The oddball BlackBerry Playbook has a decent touch screen and internals but suffers from slow operating system development from its maker, RIM.

But Google's tablet breaks new ground in the tablet bang for buck stakes and has every chance of carving out some serious market share for team.

PRICE: from $249
    RATING: 9/10

vCash
    If you haven't bought one yet Ex, this is the one I'd recommend (in the price point you wanted) As long as you don't mind a wifi only device.

vCash
    That does look like a cool little toy for a kid.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    That does look like a cool little toy for a kid.
    Well Considering this is a possible present for my Zoe Monster. That is exactly the type of toy I am looking for

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I know ex..that's why I said it.

They are flying off the shelves here..for $199 or $249. It's like a hot toy at Christmas you're lucky if you can find a place that has one.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Larry I would be interested in your thoughts on this.

Nexus 7 8GIG Price - US - 199
    Nexus 7 8GIG Price - AUS - 249

on a side note -

Itunes songs US - 0.99
    Itunes songs Aus - 1.19- 2.19

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash

on a side note -

Itunes songs US - 0.99
    Itunes songs Aus - 1.19- 2.19

everything is cheaper in the states.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Just set up a US iTunes account

Problem solved
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Just set up a US iTunes account

Problem solved
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Nah you can't do that. That loophole was closed a loooong time ago.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Have fun getting the Nexus 7 out of the box.

[youtube]32DD4DF7Qpo[/youtube]

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    Nah you can't do that. That loophole was closed a loooong time ago.
    yep it's pretty shit

ex. utorrent and isohunt.com or piratebay.com

you need an older version of utorrent though because it installs like a million stupid f**king toolbars on your computer...

if you want i can find the lnk for an old version

vCash

Do you have to pay sales tax on top of the $249? I don't so I could buy it and ship it. Shipping would probably be about $20 I'd guess. So it may save you a few bucks. Not sure what happens with your customs when the package arrives.

Although I believe they are on back order for several weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    This is true but we work longer hours for less money.

vCash
    exactly. the cost of living is must cheaper over there. however, like you have said, the wages are a lot less.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast