Thread: Heard over a pie cart

vCash

Heard over a pie cart

Robbie Deans has signed an extension to his contract to coach the Wallabies.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Well, he might have his critics, but I for one think he's done his job, we're certainly looking competitive to win the World Cup. He only has limited control of how things go in September, but it'd be hard to say they're unprepared!

C'mon the

vCash
    Yeah good call, I think Deans has done a great job so far, hopefully the injury list will be kept to a minimum, The Wallabies should have sumo suits fitted as standard for the Tri Nations
    This is our year

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Deans handed the reins for two more years

Greg Growden
    May 2, 2011

Extension ... Wallabies coach Robbie Deans. Photo: Getty Images
    ROBBIE DEANS will remain the Wallabies coach until after the British and Irish Lions tour in 2013, with Australian Rugby Union officials eager to reappoint him for at least two more seasons.

An announcement is scheduled to be made after the Super Rugby season ends in July, and mean that Deans will have led the Wallabies for at least six seasons, after being appointed following the team's flawed 2007 World Cup campaign. There is also a strong possibility that Deans, whose contract expires at the end of the year, will be involved in a second Australian World Cup campaign, in 2015.

While Australian Rugby Union chief executive John O'Neill said in a radio interview yesterday he was interested in Deans remaining in the position, the Herald understands that O'Neill has support at ARU board level in offering the Wallabies coach a contract extension.

O'Neill told the Herald last night: ''Personally, I am a great Robbie Deans supporter, and the prospect of him extending his contract is something I am very much in favour of.''

O'Neill stressed there had been no formal discussions on the issue, including with Deans, the Wallabies' first foreign Wallabies coach. But it is well known that Deans is keen to stay within Australian rugby following the World Cup, and is certain to remain with the Wallabies if offered a contract extension. The Deans family have moved from Christchurch to Sydney, and enjoy their new home base on the north shore. The ARU-Deans deal is expected to be a two-year extension, with a two-year option.

The Herald revealed in February that Deans was likely to be reappointed Wallabies coach before the World Cup in September. This prompted complaints from within some Australian provinces, who believed that reappointing Deans before a World Cup was a dangerous move, especially if the Wallabies have a disastrous campaign in New Zealand. These officials argue that it would be embarrassing if the Wallabies disappointed at the tournament and the ARU was stuck with a national coach who had failed.

Some officials also believe it is time for Ewen McKenzie, who has transformed the Queensland Reds into one of the most invigorating teams in the Super Rugby competition, to be elevated to the head Wallabies coaching role.

The ARU hierarchy is well aware of these arguments. However, Deans has - aside from O'Neill - the support of several crucial ARU board members, who believe the highly successful former Crusaders coach has improved the Wallabies brand, taken the right option in encouraging youth, and transformed the team into a viable World Cup hope.

After a tough initiation, victories over South Africa in Bloemfontein, the All Blacks in Hong Kong and France in Paris last year have taken the pressure off Deans, who has a success rate of 55.8 per cent from 24 wins and a draw in 43 Tests.

Also, several Wallabies made it known during contract re-negotiations with the ARU that they were eager to continue working with Deans after the World Cup.

The fact that the bulk of Wallabies' key players have decided to stay in Australian rugby until at least after the Lions tour has worked strongly in Deans's favour. One even told the ARU he would head overseas if Deans were replaced.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...#ixzz1L9tm3Wlr

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...501-1e36v.html

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Onya Dingo

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Wonder if he's got a get out clause for when Grumpy falls on his sword after the quadrennial choke. Not really his style I would have thought. Hopefully.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    'It's all on track' to retaining Deans
    Bret Harris From: The Australian July 14, 2011 12:00AM

THE ARU is expected to announce the reappointment of Wallabies coach Robbie Deans in the next two weeks.

ARU chief executive John O'Neill has already indicated the union's intention to keep Deans on for another two years at least.

It is understood the ARU and Deans have reached an agreement, but a contract will not be signed until after the Tests against Samoa and South Africa.

"There are no insurmountable problems. It's all on track," O'Neill said.

Meanwhile, the NSW Waratahs are expected to approach Stade Francais coach Michael Cheika and Ireland's backs coach Alan Gaffney to take over next year.

It is understood NSW has decided against reappointing Chris Hickey, who guided the team to the playoffs twice in three years, and that forwards coach Michael Foley will not be taking over.

Cheika and Gaffney, a former Wallabies backs coach, led Leinster to its maiden Heineken Cup victory in 2009.

The appointment of Cheika would almost certainly guarantee the return of Rocky Elsom to the Waratahs. Elsom was the spearhead of Leinster's Heineken Cup triumph.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226094199290

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Im a fan of Aussie Rob.More than happy for a bit of stability in runing the show, after many years of arse wrenching.The glass is half full i reckon.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Australian Rugby Union reappoints Deans for a further two years

ShareThis
    8/16/2011
    By ARU Media Unit

Australian Rugby Union has today announced the extension of Robbie Deans’ contract as Qantas Wallabies coach for a further two years.

The ARU Board recently instructed Managing Director and CEO John O’Neill to open negotiations with Deans to continue his tenure and the terms of that deal have now been finalised.

Deans was initially installed in the role for a four-year term from 2008 to the end of 2011, and under his new deal will remain as Head Coach until 2013.

“The Board is confident Robbie Deans remains the best man for the job, based on the seamless way he has reshaped the personnel and team culture of the Qantas Wallabies,” said ARU Chairman Peter McGrath.

“We are second in the IRB world rankings, up from five when Robbie took over, and we have a young team playing an exciting brand of Rugby and moving in the right direction.”

Mr O’Neill said the Qantas Wallabies under Deans had produced some breakthrough results in recent seasons, including a win at altitude in South Africa for the first time in 47 years and a record breaking win over France.

“The away record has certainly improved under Robbie and that was emphasised again on the weekend with a wonderful win over the Springboks despite the rigours of travel and a one week turnaround after playing the All Blacks in Auckland,” Mr O’Neill said.

“We are still working towards where we want to be in terms of overall winning percentages and the collection of major silverware.

“However, the win on the weekend keeps us in the hunt at this stage for the Tri Nations title this season and the game’s ultimate prize will be decided in New Zealand over September-October.

“There is no doubt Robbie has earmarked and brought through a new generation of Wallabies stars and we have certainly not stood still over the three and a half years he has been in charge of the national team.

“I look forward to him making an even more lasting impression on Australian Rugby over the next two seasons.”

Deans said he was looking forward to continuing with the Qantas Wallabies beyond 2011 but was currently focussed on the immediate and exciting challenges ahead of the national team.

“I’m pleased to have gained the backing of the Board,” he said. “A large number of players have re-committed to Australian Rugby this year, I’m pleased to be joining them.

“My priority remains, as it has always been, on the preparations both for the final Castrol Edge Tri Nations Series Test against the All Blacks in Brisbane, and then for the Rugby World Cup that follows in New Zealand.”

http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsArt...2/Default.aspx

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Can you hear that?
    It's the sound of 5 million Kiwi hearts breaking....

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Can you hear that?
    It's the sound of 5 million Kiwi hearts breaking....
    Didn't realise there were 5 million in the South Island. Unless you count the ones living among us.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Was counting the sheep too

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Is there a break clause in the contract that if he royally stuffs up the RWC it doesn't cost the ARU a fortune to sack him?

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Is there a break clause in the contract that if he royally stuffs up the RWC it doesn't cost the ARU a fortune to sack him?
    I hope so, we have been too hot and cold for my liking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Was counting the sheep too

They are all freezing to death at the moment though