Thread: KOLIAVU CLAIMS PG HAMPSHIRE AWARD

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

KOLIAVU CLAIMS PG HAMPSHIRE AWARD

Powerhouse No.8 Anare Koliavu has been rewarded for his standout season with Palmyra by being named the PG Hampshire Award recipient as the best player in the 2011 KWIK Premier Grade competition.

Koliavu was runner-up in 2010, just one vote behind eventual winner Dave Cloete, and backed up that fine effort with yet another consistently strong campaign for Paly where he superbly controlled the forwards from the back of the scrum.

“Getting so close last year but missing out was hard so I was gunning for it this season and it’s great to have my name on this special trophy,” Koliavu said.

“I don’t go into anything to finish second. I’m honoured to win the award and be amongst some great players who have held it over the years.

“The level of performance in the KWIK Premier Grade is getting better and better and with all the really good players in the competition the PG Hampshire Award is certainly not something you can just win by fluke. You need to have a consistent year and I’m glad the people voting on the award thought I was worthy enough to be added to the list of winners.”

“Next year I’ll be eligible to play for the Emirates Western Force having been in Australia for a number of years now. I’ll work hard to keep raising my game and set my sight on hopefully going back to back in this award, help Palmyra to a championship and also step up to Super Rugby as well,” said Koliavu.

While Palmyra missed the finals, the extremely close nature of this season’s KWIK Premier Grade competition was reflected in the voting with just three points separating the top five placegetters.

Koliavu finished with 14 votes, one ahead of tied second placed pair Nathan Roberts (Nedlands) and Chris Miles (Wests Subiaco). Despite missing a number of matches during the season Cloete made a storming run home to finish in third. The Cott flyhalf gaining eight votes in the last three rounds to finish on 12. The eye catching performances by Nedlands throughout 2011 saw another of their standout performers, Juan Pretorius, round out the top five (11 votes).

The Coach of the Year award went to UWA mentor Steve McFarland who guided his University side to second place after the regular season and into the playoffs for the first time in more than two decades. Despite a hiccup in the major semi Uni rebounded to win their preliminary final and will contest for the championship 34 years after their last attempt.

Cottesloe winger Nathan Hunt was again a tough man to stop in attack as he claimed Top Try Scorer for the second season in succession. The speedy outside back scored 14 tries in 2011 to better his output of 12 from last season.

Associates flyhalf Matt Dreyer earned the Top Points scorer gong as he scored 180 points throughout the season to help Soaks into the playoffs. Dreyer’s boot contributed 150 points whilst he also crossed for 6 tries.

Bankwest RugbyWA Academy prop Ollie Hoskins took out the Best Colt award for the most outstanding U20 player in the competition. Hoskins was a permanent fixture in the front row for the Cottesloe KWIK Premier Grade side after stepping up from schoolboys rugby. His performances not only impressed many locally, it also earned him a call-up to the Australian U19’s side that played against an England touring team in late August.

The most improved player went to the impressive JP Pretorious from Nedlands while Wanneroo’s Sharna Komene took out the Women’s Best & Fairest.

Cottesloe were awarded the 2011 Champion Club for their consistency across all of their senior grades while Palymra took home the Healthway Champion Club award which takes into consideration the performances of both the senior and junior grades.

Whistle blower Rob Kellham was rewarded for his consistency in 2011 with the Referee Award which is voted on jointly by RugbyWA and the Referee’s Association. Kellham will be an Assistant Referee in the KWIK Premier Grade Grand Final this weekend.

The KWIK Senior Competition Grand Finals will be played across a massive two days at McGillivray Oval with the showpiece KWIK Premier Grade decider to complete proceedings on Sunday afternoon, kick-off at 3.50pm.

2011 PG Hampshire Award

Player Club Votes
    Anare Koliavu Palmyra 14
    Nathan Roberts Nedlands 13
    Chris Miles Wests Subiaco 13
    David Cloete Cottesloe 12
    Juan Pretorius Nedlands 11

RugbyWA 2011 Awards

Award Recipient Club
    PG Hampshire Award Anare Koliavu Palmyra
    Coach Award Steve McFarland UWA
    Top Try Scorer Nathan Hunt Cottesloe
    Top Point Scorer Matt Dreyer Associates
    Most Improved Player JP Pretorious Nedlands
    Best Colt Player (U20) Ollie Hoskins Cottesloe
    Women’s Best & Fairest Sharna Komene Wanneroo
    Referee Award Rob Kellham
    Champion Club - Cottesloe
    Healthway Champion Club - Palmyra

KWIK Senior Grade Grand Final Fixtures
    Saturday, 3 September 2011
    Time Grade Teams
    8.30am Under 18s Div 2 Mandurah v Arks
    9.50am 4th Grade Blue Associates v Cottesloe
    11.20am 4th Grade Gold Joondalup v Nedlands
    12.50pm 4th Grade Black Nedlands v UWA
    2.20pm 3rd Grade Gold Joondalup v Curtin
    4.00pm 3rd Grade Black Nedlands v Southern Lions

Sunday, 4 September 2011
    Time Grade Teams
    9.30am Women's Perth Bayswater v Wanneroo
    11.00am Under 18s Div 1 UWA v Wests Subiaco
    12.20pm Under 20s Wanneroo v Associates
    2.00pm Reserve Palmyra v Nedlands
    3.50pm Premier Nedlands v UWA

About the PG Hampshire Award

Percy George Hampshire was a long time passionate promoter of rugby and served as an administrator and President of the WARU after moving to Western Australia from NSW in 1919.

He completed six terms as President (1946-51) and 23 years as Patron (1946-68).

The first PG Hampshire Award was presented in 1949.

Mr Hampshire was born on 3 June 1885 and died on 11 August 1968, aged 83.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well done to Old Scotch Collegian Ollie Hoskins

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He's a big unit.

Attached Images Attached Images