Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Worse team of the day

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Was saying the same today to a mate WRF.
    There has been a considerable lift in standard across the board in 4 years for sure.
    Who knows, perhaps in another three or four tournaments they will consider 24 teams.
    Yeah and that's been the best thing so far in this World Cup, how well the 'minnows' have played. It's usually a foregone conclusion when the likes of Ireland, Scotland etc play teams like Romania and USA, so it's fantastic to see, genuine competitive games.

Possible upsets in the pools:

Argentina over Scotland
    Samoa over SA
    Italy over Ireland

3 days without rugby though, getting withdrawal symptoms already!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    Yeah and that's been the best thing so far in this World Cup, how well the 'minnows' have played. It's usually a foregone conclusion when the likes of Ireland, Scotland etc play teams like Romania and USA, so it's fantastic to see, genuine competitive games.

Possible upsets in the pools:

Argentina over Scotland
    Samoa over SA
    Italy over Ireland

3 days without rugby though, getting withdrawal symptoms already!
    I wouldnt say Argentina over Scotland would be an upset, they will probably be favourites.

Wales were outstanding, deserved a win I thought. Wallabies might have to play them in the quarters but by then they would have played Fiji and Samoa so will be battered if they make it.

vCash
    Saffa's were pretty pathetic. Barnes was the deciding factor again.... Got to love the minnows games though.. Romania are beasts. Looking forward to Wednesday with the introduction of Samoa and Russia.

vCash
    We seem to be forgetting that most first round matches in most rwc tournaments don't show the calibre of the sides and that the alleged "minnows" have a lot of enthusiasm and no injuries to their first team players in the first match.

To dismiss England would be foolish - Argentina are always tough opposition. It was only England that showed any likelyhood of scoring a try during the match but their forwards struggled to secure good ball. On the few occasions the backs received some decent ball they ran with it and looked impressive. Argentina are a good defensive team and have been for some years.

The greatest dis-service some of these posts propogate is that South Africa played badly. It's was a very good Welsh performance. Wales dominated significant periods of the match and a better team would have scored a lot more points from the chances that were created. Overall the stats showed that Wales had some 60% of the possession and territory. Before dismissing South Africa let's not forget the old adage that "you're only as good as you are allowed to be ........". I still back South Africa to make the final (along with the wobblies).

On another note, Fraser is still alive and well ..... well alive anyway. Heart rate has slowed since the Rumanian debacle and he may not return given the bets he's taken on Scotland to beat England.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackswan View Post

On another note, Fraser is still alive and well ..... well alive anyway. Heart rate has slowed since the Rumanian debacle and he may not return given the bets he's taken on Scotland to beat England.
    What about his wife and kids, are they still in tow??

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Probably towing him

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    An observation of the first weekend, despite the vast improvement in the 2nd and 3rd Tier Nations, until they have the courage to back themselves for the try they won't get upset wins over the Tier 1 Nations with any sort of regularity.
    They fight so damn hard to get in a try scoring position, get a penalty and then are back on halfway for a 22 restart or their own 22 with a measly 3 points and having to start all over again.
    Unless they are blessed with an incredible super boot, they would be better served keeping the pressure on in attack, either from a scrum or, if further out, the lineout.
    This "take the points on offer" mentality is well and good (no, actually I hate it...) for Tier 1 Tests which are super close, but when a team needs to produce an upset then there aren't going to be enough 3 point opportunities in 80 minutes to do it. Keep the ball in hand and fight on for the 7 pointer.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Unless they are blessed with an incredible super boot
    Like that No10 for Namibia, what a boot, three drop goals plus a long range penalty all in 5-10 minutes.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    And still they didn't win

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post

The rest of the world is closing in on the top 10 as well.
    That's easily been the most pleasing aspect for me. I think we are seeing the benefits of the game going professional. With so many contracts available for PI players, Romanians, etc, the players are coming into the tournament in peak condition. The Olympic 7's will add to that impetus. All that is needed is a coaching staff who can manufacture a game plan that suits the strengths of their respective squads, and upset results are quite on the cards.

For me the team that most typified that was Romania. Played completely to their abilities and did the simple things spot on. One for the purists I admit, but I really enjoyed that match. Bet there were a few TWFers breathing sighs of relief after that narrowest of escapes.

Worst team - England by miles.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Unless they are blessed with an incredible super boot
    beware the curse of the super boot

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post

For me the team that most typified that was Romania. Played completely to their abilities and did the simple things spot on. One for the purists I admit, but I really enjoyed that match.
    I almost didn't watch it, turned it on and was transfixed! Excellent game! Early days, but probably one of the best World Cups so far. I'm looking forward to Georgia vs Scotland, Samoa vs SA, Fiji vs Wales, France vs Tonga and Italy vs Ireland.

Last edited by zed; 13-09-11 at 08:42.

vCash
    Worst team - England by miles. Hear! Hear!

+1 for the Poms...awful...and Jonny OH! Jonny!!
    +1 South Africa....I was even trying to scream in Welsh at the screen , which obviously didn't help..I still say Hook's penalty was in...IMHO! !!

vCash
    It's Wednesday, another opprtunity for worst team of the day!

C'mon the

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm putting my money on Scotland

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast