Thread: New signing - Ben Seymour

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

New signing - Ben Seymour

Manly's season-ending loss to University is not all bad news for the club

MANLY’S disappointment at being eliminated from the rugby premiership by Sydney University a game short of the grand final came with confirmation that two of their stars have picked up Super Rugby contracts for next season.

Prop Eddie Aholelei has signed with the Melbourne Rebels, while utility back Ben Seymour is joining the Western Force.

And rising second-rower Cadeyrn Neville is also waiting to hear if he will be joining the Rebels for 2012.

The news is recognition of the good season Manly enjoyed and the way players developed under the guidance of coach Tim Lane.

Aholelei has been one of the most impressive front-rowers in the Shute Shield and has signed a one-year deal with an option for a second season in Melbourne.

And he has paid tribute to the role the Marlins have played in securing the deal he has worked so hard for over several seasons.

“Manly got me to where I am now and it is thanks to them,” Aholelei said.

“I am excited and there is still room for me to learn especially at that level.”

Seymour has signed a two-year contract and has to be in Perth by the end of October to commence pre-season training.

“It happened so fast, I’m absolutely stoked,” he said.

It means Sunday’s loss to University at TG Millner Field was possibly the last game Aholelei and Seymour played for the Marlins until at least July next year.

“We are going to have to really look at rebuilding for next year. Super 15 is going to be longer,” Lane said.

“It’s great for them but we are really going to have to plan about who is here next year and go from there.”

Manly showed plenty of spirit against a team who are club rugby’s equivalent of Spanish soccer giants, Real Madrid.

“We were in it and very competitive but I suppose Uni’s experience told in the end,” Lane said.

“We weren’t far away really, if we had taken two or three opportunities down the right side both halves it could have been a different ball game.

“Uni are a good team and strong in their set piece. A couple of tries from mauls was the difference really. They didn’t create much.”

Lane said while the final score line didn’t flatter the Marlins, it didn’t reflect the effort and the tightness of the contest.

As Aholelei said:

“The boys are tired because we put the effort in.”

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au...-for-the-club/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Welcome aboard Ben.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Interesting.

As far as I can work out he will be 21 next year. Fly-half is probably our weakest area so hopefully he is good value.

Anyone know any further details?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Funnily enough - seems Ben comes to us after being displaced from teh Marlines by Willie Ripia! See here: http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=29219

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Backup flyhalf/fullback is a good fit. Looks like the squad is now sorted.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force add final piece of puzzle (Official )

By RugbyWA Media
    The Emirates Western Force has finalised their 30 man core playing squad for the 2012 season with the signature of Manly Marlins utility back Ben Seymour.

The 21 year old has been a strong performer in the NSW 1st Grade competition for the past three seasons and has also been part of the Waratahs Academy programme, stepping up in 2011 to train with the Tahs Super Rugby squad full time in pre-season.

Primarily a flyhalf, Seymour proved his versatility by shifting to fullback after the arrival of Emirates Western Force pivot Willie Ripia at Manly following the Super Rugby season. The combination worked well for the Marlins who reached the Preliminary Finals of the Shute Shield competition.

“I’m very much looking forward to heading to Perth, it really is a great opportunity and I can’t wait to join the boys there and work hard for the team,” Seymour said.

“I’ve enjoyed having the chance to play in different positions this season and adding other elements to my game.

“Training and playing with Willie, who has some excellent experience in Super Rugby, has been great and I’m sure that will help in my quick transition into the Emirates Western Force squad.”

Seymour will also link up again with Phil Blake, the former Manly Coach, who is now in WA as the Emirates Western Force Defence & Skills Coach, and said the decision to head west was an easy one given the track record of players able to prove themselves within the Perth rugby environment.

Last year Patrick Dellit was plucked from the Shute Shield competition by Emirates Western Force Coach Richard Graham and enjoyed a wonderful debut season in which he earned 12 Super Rugby caps and the 2011 Emirates Western Force Rising Star award.

Graham said he is pleased to have rounded out his main playing squad with Seymour and believed the hard working back will provide plenty of upside for the WA outfit.

“To create completion we’ve added depth across the squad and I think that is evident in the backs we’ve already announced. In Ben’s case he’ll challenge Willie and James Stannard to be at their best playing at 10,” Graham said.

“I was also pleased to see Ben’s performances at fullback for Manly in the latter stages of the Shute Shield. He handled the move well and that will add flexibility to our backline.

“He is a solid passer with either hand and his speed is a definite feature. Ben is a driven young man and will benefit by being in a full-time professional programme.”

Ben Seymour
    DOB: 1/9/1990
    Position: Flyhalf/Fullback
    Height: 181cm
    Weight: 88kg
    Previous Club: Manly Marlins (NSW 1st Grade) 2009-11
    High School: The Scots College, Sydney – First XV (graduated 2008)

http://www.westernforce.com.au/NewsE...8/Default.aspx

vCash
    Whern does pre-season start?

vCash
    So looks as thought Benny will have to step up after what has transpired in the last 24 hours.

Dont know much about this kid but hopefully he can stand up the same way as a couple of other boys have from the sheild.

Question is do we need a backup flyhalf or a half back to cover stannard now becoming a 10( you would think this is way would happen)

Can Seymor and Goodwin do the job?

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.