Thread: Hoiles finishes his time with the Brumbies

vCash

Wink Hoiles finishes his time with the Brumbies

Stephen Hoiles has been released from the final year of his contract with the Brumbies.
    The Brumbies have released Stephen Hoiles from the final year of his contract.

After six years with the Brumbies – including the 2009 and 2010 seasons as Captain – Hoiles and the club came to a rugby-based decision to part ways on Wednesday.

Hoiles has battled an Achilles problem for the last 18 months and only played the opening game of the 2011 season.

Although Hoiles has made significant progress on his recovery, recent tests showed he was not going to be fit for the opening rounds of the 2012 Super Rugby season.

“I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Brumbies and it was a privilege to play and also Captain a team that has such a strong connection with its community,” Hoiles said.

“I want to thank all of the players, coaches, staff, and Brumbies fans and members for all of their support over the past six years.

“Because of my injury this past year has been a difficult one for the club and for me but we have had a good discussion and I feel very comfortable with the decision we have mutually agreed on.

“My rehab is coming along well and it’s my intention to return to the playing field in the not too distant future. Where exactly that will be is something that will unravel in the months ahead.

“I wish the Brumbies all the best for the future and I am confident that it will once again be a highly successful club.”

The Brumbies coaching staff were complimentary about the way Hoiles handled the matter.

“I have been impressed with the way that Stephen has handled this situation and how he has been able to put the Brumbies first. I commend him for his approach,” Head Coach Jake White said.

“Stephen has been an outstanding member of the Brumbies for a long time and it is sad to see him move on.

“On behalf of the Brumbies I’d like to wish him all the best and we look forward to seeing him return to rugby in the near future.”

Stephen Hoiles
    POS: No 8
    H/W: 1.9m, 100kg
    DOB: 13/10/81
    SR Caps: 78 (26 Waratahs)
    SR Pts: 40 (8t)
    Tests: 16
    Test Pts: 15 (3t)

http://www.brumbies.com.au/News/Arti...0/Default.aspx

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Hoiles confident White is man to rebuild Brumbies

Departing ACT Brumbies captain Stephen Hoiles has backed Jake White to resurrect the club as a Super Rugby contender.
    But the veteran forward warned the players and fans to be patient as the Brumbies usher in a new generation of untested talent in an inexperienced squad.

Hoiles will not be there to help White rebuild after reaching an agreement with the Brumbies to end his contract a year earlier than expected because of an ongoing Achilles tendon problem.

He was officially released by the Brumbies yesterday, meaning he will train by himself with the hope of rebuilding his career with another Australian franchise or an overseas club.

Even if Hoiles had still been in the Brumbies' 30-man squad, White's team would still be severely lacking senior players.

Stephen Moore and Ben Hand are the only two players with more than 50 Super Rugby caps each and the majority of the squad is yet to get a significant taste of first XV action.

However, Hoiles was confident the Brumbies could erase the horror results of last season and move forward into the future.

''The club can rebuild, but it might not be next season,'' Hoiles said.

''It's going to take time. You have to be patient because you only have to look at the age and inexperience there is to see how young the team will be.

''Having said that, [inexperience can be good for them] because they're starting from scratch.''

Despite prematurely ending his career at the Brumbies, Hoiles is keen to prove he is still worthy of a Super Rugby contract.

However, after playing just 20 minutes last season before the Achilles tendon problem crippled his campaign, Hoiles's No1 priority is to get fit again.

He has been unable to train with the full squad since February and with no clear timeframe on his recovery, the Brumbies were worried they would be a man down next season.

Although Hoiles would add valuable international and Super Rugby experience to the squad, White did not want to risk having 29 fit players at his disposal and Hoiles and the Brumbies agreed to part ways.

It ends a five-year career with the Brumbies, of which he was captain for three seasons.

''I'm still going to try to play Super Rugby next season, but I'm going to take my time and look at my options with the possibility of going overseas,'' Hoiles said.

''I haven't made a phone call [to any clubs], I was just trying to sort things out with the Brumbies, but I am keen to play as soon as possible.

''It was a bizarre feeling leaving [Brumbies HQ] for the last time and I'll miss it when they run out at Canberra Stadium next year.

''But you can't get emotionally attached to these decisions and, to be honest, I know it's the best decision.''

Hoiles's time with the Brumbies was filled with good and bad memories.

He joined the club in 2007 as a rising star playing with greats George Gregan, Stephen Larkham and Jeremy Paul.

The 30-year-old took over the captaincy reins from Stirling Mortlock in 2009 and guided the team through one of its hardest periods.

But while he watched the team struggle through its worst season, was there when Andy Friend got sacked and failed to make the finals in his time in Canberra, there's one moment which stands above all. Shawn Mackay's death.

Mackay died after being hit by a car in Durban in 2009.

Hoiles and Mackay were schoolmates from primary school right through until graduating from Sydney's Waverley College and playing at Randwick together.

''Having to say goodbye to Shawn Mackay was without doubt the hardest thing. Everything else gets put in perspective when you think about that,'' Hoiles said.

''It's one of the hardest things you have to go through in life, losing a very close friend at a young age.

''But it's when things aren't going well that you learn more about yourself and the game.''

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...px?storypage=0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!