Thread: Brumbies fear Pocock free-for-all

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Brumbies fear Pocock free-for-all

BY: BRET HARRIS From: The Australian February 20, 2012 12:00AM

THE Brumbies may have reason to be nervous about the policing of the breakdown in their Super Rugby opener against the Western Force in Canberra on Friday night.

The game is to be controlled by the referee who allowed Wallabies openside flanker David Pocock to "get away with murder" at the World Cup in New Zealand last year.

New Zealand referee Bryce Lawrence will oversee the Brumbies-Force game after fellow Kiwi Garratt Williamson withdrew with a hamstring injury.

Last time Lawrence was in charge of a game involving Pocock it was the Wallabies' 11-9 win over South Africa in the World Cup quarter-final in Auckland.

Lawrence was vilified for his handling of the game by South Africans who accused him of allowing the breakdown to become a free-for-all.

The Brumbies refused to comment on Lawrence yesterday, but it would be surprising if coach Jake White did not raise the issue with the referee. One of the things that Lawrence's critics overlooked was that Pocock was almost unchallenged at the breakdown in the World Cup quarter-final after Springboks openside flanker Heinrich Brussow left the field with an injury.

Whether Michael Hooper or Ita Vaea starts at openside flanker for the Brumbies, they will have their hands full with Pocock, who may be the best No 7 in the world.

Pocock is expected to dominate the breakdown, but the Force will be concerned about its set-piece if secondrower Sam Wykes is ruled out with a hamstring injury.

Brumbies hooker Stephen Moore will play against the Force despite a sore shoulder, but utility back Pat McCabe is not expected to return until round three after shoulder surgery.

Meanwhile, NSW Waratahs coach Michael Foley has expressed full confidence in rookie wingers Tom Kingston and Brackin Karauria-Henry in the absence of injured Wallabies Drew Mitchell and Lachie Turner.

The latter has been ruled out for the season with a hamstring injury, while Mitchell could miss half the season with an inflamed achilles tendon.

The Waratahs had hoped Mitchell would be available for the season opener against Queensland Reds in Sydney on Saturday night, but he is likely to be sidelined for at least seven weeks.

Mitchell will wear a moon boot on his injured foot for four weeks and will probably need about three weeks conditioning afterwards.

"We have confidence in Tom and Brackin," Foley said. "They both have good skills. It's just a matter of them knowing how we want to play and then getting the job done.

"Young guys should look at other young guys who have had an opportunity. You don't have to fill anyone's shoes, just play the game you are good at."

Foley confirmed that former Wallabies and Waratahs fullback Matt Burke was no longer the NSW team's kicking coach. Burke was brought in by former Waratahs head coach Chris Hickey.

Foley said the appointment of backs coach Alan Gaffney meant Burke's services were not required. "Between Alan Gaffney and Scott Bowen we've got it well covered."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226275205017

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    So we get stuck with Bryce so he can get his honour back and ping pocock for getting out of bed what a joke!

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    much ado about nothing

vCash
    Looking for excuses already?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Beh.

If anything happens, it will be Lawrence penalising the s**t out of Pocock. They need to come up with a back-up plan in case/when that happens i.e. swap Pocock and Hodgson around.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Was pocock offside in that game? Or
    Are the saffers just complaining?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Does it matter?

From the game Lawrence probably got an internal dressing down from the referee managers. He definitely got stick from Andre Watson and the rest of the South African public. Right or wrong with his decisions in that quarter final, he will find it very hard not to let that game and that feedback influence his decision making. There is a perception that Lawrence can't manage a break down (accurate in my opinion) and that not managing a break down equals Pocock winning turn-overs. So therefore Pocock must be penalised in order to manage the breakdown.

Last edited by James; 20-02-12 at 13:58.

vCash
    I actually thought that, that game was one of his better games at the breakdown. The saffers IMO got all up in arms
    About it, because A) brussow didn't get to really go against pocock, and B) they were just monstered at the breakdown by our forwards. Which for is hugely embarrassing because we dont regularly do that. And physicality is a huge part of the springbok game plan.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    When you say his better games, do you mean Pocock or Lawrence?

vCash
    As mentioned in a different thread, the #7's were allowed to get away with waaaaaaay too much at the RWC after week 1.

Everyone did it, with the exception of Junior and one or two others. So Bryce would certainly have been, um, coached, after his last performance at that tournament, but he would (should) have been in a class room full of high-ranked refs.

He'd be better off reffing the tackle and post-tackle according to the law and then concentrating on the scrum. If he guessed less at scrum time then all of the teams would know where they stood with him.

Having said all that, I'm sure Bryce has learned quite a lot from his RWC performances and I am expecting that he will have a very good game and his decision-making will not be the deciding factor in this game.

From what I've read, what WILL be a deciding factor in this game is whether the 10 plays like a roo in the headlights or can control the play and whether the backs can (a) catch the ball, and (b) do something constructive with it once caught.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    From what I've read, what WILL be a deciding factor in this game is whether the 10 plays like a roo in the headlights or can control the play and whether the backs can (a) catch the ball, and (b) do something constructive with it once caught.
    That'll certainly help

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    When you say his better games, do you mean Pocock or Lawrence?
    Sorry, Lawrence.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    He was consistent throughout. You have to give him credit on that. It's more than can be said of Joubert in the final.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    He was consistent throughout. You have to give him credit on that. It's more than can be said of Joubert in the final.
    Joubert was flawlessly consistent in the final, if he blew the whistle he pointed to the AllBlacks.

He also flawlessly ignored the AllBlacks lining up a meter offside whilst flawlessly pinging the frogs for being anywhere near the last foot.

I could go on if you like?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    As mentioned in a different thread, the #7's were allowed to get away with waaaaaaay too much at the RWC after week 1.

Everyone did it, with the exception of Junior and one or two others. So Bryce would certainly have been, um, coached, after his last performance at that tournament, but he would (should) have been in a class room full of high-ranked refs.

He'd be better off reffing the tackle and post-tackle according to the law and then concentrating on the scrum. If he guessed less at scrum time then all of the teams would know where they stood with him.

Having said all that, I'm sure Bryce has learned quite a lot from his RWC performances and I am expecting that he will have a very good game and his decision-making will not be the deciding factor in this game.

Bryce will be his typical inept self. Every penalty will be a mystery. He will blow the pea out of it. Players from both sides will become confused and frustrated. The commentators will be bewiildered. The fans will be bored sh1tless.

Bryce is a goose.

The game will hinge on a ridiculous decision.

I've checked my watch. It's time for a ref to destroy our sport.

let the season begin

Controversy corner