Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Western Force adamant they won't finish last in 2012

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Western Force adamant they won't finish last in 2012

WESTERN Force forwards coach Nick Stiles says punters will be foolish if they put their money on the Perth-based franchise to finish last this Super Rugby season.

The Force have been installed favourites by at least two Australian bookmakers to win the wooden spoon in 2012. The Brumbies, Lions and Cheetahs are also tipped to struggle.

But it is the Force, who lost star Wallaby James O'Connor and first-choice five-eighth Willie Ripia over the off-season, that many expect will prop up the table.

The Force's pre-season form, in which they copped hidings at the hands of the Brumbies and Reds, certainly haven't changed wider opinions.

But Stiles said betting on the Force to finish last would be as good as flushing money down the toilet.

"You'd be wasting your money I reckon,'' Stiles said.

"So keep your hard earned in your pocket or put us to finish a bit higher than that.''

Former Brumbies prop Salesi Ma'afu, who switched to the Force over the summer, was also surprised how quickly everyone was writing off the Force.

"It makes me feel good if all those people are going to put their money on it and lose their money,'' Ma'afu said.

"I think we've got a good team.''

Ma'afu will temporarily put friendships on hold on Friday night when the Force takes on the Brumbies in Canberra.

The 28-year-old notched 52 games at the Brumbies, but felt the time was right to switch to the Force.

"I'd been there six years and things seem to get pretty dull,'' said Ma'afu, who has tallied 14 Test caps since making his Wallabies debut in 2010.

"That's the way life is. I needed a change. I'm happier now with my rugby and my life and enjoying it.''

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/rug...-1226276297566

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    What an aspiration before the first whistle of the season is blown - not to finish last.

Why don't we all just go home and hide under a blanket.

Last edited by fulvio sammut; 20-02-12 at 19:44. Reason: spelling error

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I bet yours is damp ...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Under, not on.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    a wet blanket none-the-less

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Pfft, I've been called worse.

But what a demoralised, defeatist attitude for a club official to adopt before the first game is even played.

Whats wrong with the "we'll whoop their sorry asses" approach?

vCash
    It should galvanise the lads before the road trip to the nations capital. The Rudd inspired factional dissension is the perfect smoke screen for the Force to slip into town. The "wooden spoon" goes on the line round one. The only good thing about the trials are we gave them nothing. Scoring points will be the sides achilles heel this year. Nothing like an ex wallabies "attack coach" to make a backline ineffective. RG must have been inspired by the Eggy Jones crash ball game plan.

Controversy corner

vCash
    At least our expectations are not being raised!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    14th and better is good in the vbookies eyes

Player
    vCash
    Hopefully its just a ploy to be understated and they king hit the ponies in round 1.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    You'd like to think so, but if so that is the biggest bushel I've ever seen a light stuck under.

There is no way it is not possible that this team could matter - at the end of the day they are still 30 of the top 180 best rugby players in the country. But at the same time, there is no question that there is maybe a little less spark of genius than other teams. Not that that can't be overcome, but what you'd expect that to look like is an utter ruthlessness in both attitude and execution. Think Crusaders without their stars - the team still goes out there and does what it has to with much the same polish, winning far more than they lose to put themselves in the mix at the end of the year. Everyone lifts their game, steps up and it gets done.

Frankly I have never seen that sort of determination from the Force; not ever. I can't think of a single instance where the game has been close at the end and I've felt a scrap of confidence...in fact, probably least of all when we've been leading. If this team is going to go anywhere this year they are going to have to find their inner pitbull and refuse to step back or stop attacking. But that will only get them so far - the Waratahs were always good at the dogged thing and it only gets you so far. What it must be backed up with is ruthless execution and that is where I start worrying. Doing some good things occasionally won't cut it, it has to be relentless and the team just doesn't seem to be able to do that. I think back over the last few years and it is a mental collage of dropped ball, spilled passes, poor kicks, unchased ball, soft turnovers and bad passes. That basic lack of refinement in the skills has kept opposition teams in games that should have been over at half time, as often as not costing us the match in the end. You just can't do that and hope to matter.

As a last thought too, it is not all on the coach. He has some responsibility for selections and tactics, but those options are shrinking in these days of limited squads - everyone basically has one first team and not much else. The team that can strike the best balance, find some flexibility and develop the right attitude will succeed, but it has to come from the players. I just don't get that feeling from Australian teams, up to and including the Wallabies. They just don't seem afraid to lose, or willing to start with the basics to ensure it doesn't happen.

Those basics should be a second nature as breathing, yet it always seem so laboured...maybe why it is so hard to tell from choking.

vCash
    "Frankly I have never seen that sort of determination from the Force; not ever. "....

I think you have forgotten at least one game our first home win against the 'Canes..Tana Umaga was actually shown on the big screen patting his boys on the back for the "win"...then Sheps in the dying seconds went over for a try...and we needed that conversion to win...and we did...that was the most gritty performance I have ever seen....

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    That second half performance by our forwards to beat the Crusaders in 2010 was another good example.But Andy's point is right. It doesn't happen nearly as much as it should.

The Tahs operate like the Russians in World War 2. With Phil Waugh behind you it takes a brave person not to press on.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Positive headline prior to round one... Whats with the west media... no love for the forced.... I thought it was very kind of Eales to speak up for the Force today...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast