Thread: Queenslander Angus Cottrell looks certain to be in Western Force line-up for their Su

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Queenslander Angus Cottrell looks certain to be in Western Force line-up for their Su

by: Jim Tucker From: The Courier-Mail February 28, 2012 12:00am

Angus Cottrell at Western Force training.
    Source: The Courier-Mail

THE grandson of Australia's oldest living Wallaby captain was screaming for the Reds on his last visit to Suncorp Stadium, now he has dreams of gatecrashing the party on Saturday night.

Spotters for the Western Force spied flanker Angus Cottrell playing for Wests in Brisbane club rugby last year and signed him as a project player to groom behind their all-Wallaby backrow.

Rugby educations have a crazy knack for being put on fast forward.

Rookie Cottrell, 22, made his Super Rugby debut for the final two minutes of last Friday night's clash against ACT Brumbies and seems certain of a bench spot against his old state Queensland this weekend.

"I never thought the chance would come this early," Cottrell said yesterday.

"It's all exciting. You can't help but learn and work hard with the Wallaby guys that the Force have around the backrow (Dave Pocock, Matt Hodgson, Ben McCalman and Richard Brown).

He is the twinkle in the proud eye of 84-year-old grandfather Nev "Notchy" Cottrell, a hooker who captained the Wallabies for two Tests against the British and Irish Lions in 1950.

The family genes are strong because father Nev Jr also played halfback for Queensland in the late 1970s when he fed a five-eighth named Paul McLean.

The prospect of the Brisbane Boys' College product now taking on the Reds in front of a 30,000-strong crowd is still a little hard for young Cottrell to get his head around.

"Last year I was a mad Reds supporter at Suncorp cheering hard for them on the night they won the final," Cottrell admitted.

"It would be strange running out against them if I get the chance but I'd be out there to beat 'em. We've got to use that anger at losing to the Brumbies (19-17) and have a real good crack at the Reds."

Force coach Richard Graham likes the 108kg Cottrell package: "Raw toughness and fantastic attitude."

Visits to his grandfather's home always left an impression.

"I was probably around 10 when I realised how impressive his achievements were," Cottrell said.

"I'd see his Queensland Team of the Century honour cap framed on the wall with the old Queensland team photos and ties every time I visited.

"He told me it was tough footy back in the day and he tries to get the toughness out of me.

"Dad played for Queensland as well so there's always been something for me to aspire to in rugby."

"Notchy" is still smiling over his grandson's debut.

"I keep saying a lot of rugby is in the head. Nobody is better than you on the field. Grab your chance," Cottrell said.

"I played at 12 stone six pound in my day. Angus is six foot four and all muscle so he's got the build now the door has quietly opened for him."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1226283280069

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Nice article, Matt Hodgson also had huge wraps on him as well in one of his blogs last week.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”