Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Force Downed by Hurricanes

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post

Tackle practice monday morning 7am as well.
    The only real thing that went abismally was our broken play defence, and falling off tackles/not sghutting them down which allows the hand off.

Otherwise, and improvement, but the hammering came from turnover trys.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    and falling off tackles
    So were making the same point?

There were so many missed tackles, it was scary.

Pocock can hold the class, he's a master of the tackle. Force's star player, again!!

vCash
    One reason is we are too high and flat in both attack and defence. 10 has only one option, we are flat footed, receive the pass behind, and get immediately crunched. They played with depth, giving several options to 10, hitting the pass with pace, and a moment to align the gaps.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    It takes me about 8 seconds to grab another cold beer during the game - about the same time it takes Jacob Peyper to set a scum!
    And almost enough time for the Hurricanes to score 2 tries!!!

Senior Player
    vCash
    All that possession. All that territory. The hard work by the forwards. In the red zone for ages. Can't convert.

There is a lack of invention at the base of the ruck. Telegraphed, ponderous, one out plays. No one running angles, or coming from depth. And when a set play is tried, the execution by the backs is shite.

What happened to first phase defence that RG said he'd work on?

It's ok to rush up in defence but you have to do it in a line - there were more gaps in the staggered defensive line than in Madonna's front teeth!

vCash
    I miss John Mitchell. He had his moments, but he never made me feel physically sick reading his post match interviews. One of the 6 tries was a bad bounce of the ball, which happened right in front of my seats and frankly from where I sat, I don't think it was the bounce's fault. What about the other 5 tries they scored where we just fell apart, looking disorganised and childish. Mitchell would have shredded them.

I'm bloody sick of kicking. Play some rugby, I'll be stoked if they lose playing something bearable to watch.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post

I'm bloody sick of kicking. Play some rugby, I'll be stoked if they lose playing something bearable to watch.
    amen

Kangaroo Court is in session..........all rise

Rookie
    vCash
    I just watched the first half again , of the first 9 0r 10 turnovers by the Force Forwards were to blame , Sheps was one with his chip and the other back escapes me . Early on 3 occaisions we were in scoring position only to botch it with a poor lineout play , shepherd and knock on. This disjointed the attack and stopped momentum . Combine this with poor defence and result will always go against us. Of course I could be wrong and the Flyhalf missing 2 kicks and sticking to the teams gameplan could be the reason we're losing ..god help the next 10 for the Force he may not get away with just being booed ..good luck

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    can't recall Chucky being booed

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I don't think it was chucky so much as the decision to kick for goal rather than push on for a try. Bear in mind the number of kiwi's following the cane we have at games, more likely to be them ...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    I despair of our unimaginative on-field decisions.

During the 2nd half, when we're two tries down, the Hurricanes were giving away penalty after penalty in their own half, knowing that we'd kick for points. We had a driving scrum which the Canes had to collapse just shy of the line, giving away a penalty, and we kick it! Why? Take another scrum, drive again; if they collapse it again it's either a card or another penalty. Why do we relieve the pressure with kicking?

I thought that changing the captain might result in some more imaginative decisions, but either it seems Poey has learnt from Sharpe, or it's a direction from the coach.

I'm a little surprised at the yellow for Shep after the match, though. I wondered whether the ref had left his cards at home, the way the Canes were committing multiple fouls with immunity; how many times can the ref tell the Canes hooker not to retreat from his mark, or can the Canes centres be pinged for offside without a card? And what about the clothesline tackle on Shep that lead to the Cane's try before half-time?

vCash
    TWF could do no worse than watch a few of the other matches from the weekend.
    At least two matches featured teams breaking the line, making good yards, with very flat, close passing just prior to contact, rather than using telegraphed one out passes, and the ensuing messy ruck/mauls.

The difference between the weekend's abysmal effort and some close, character building wins is through tweaking, rather than all out massacres of the player/coaching list.
    It's obvious there is work needed around 10, 12, 13 - it's something they need to work on in a structured/gradual way - there are certainly enough coaches/assistants there.

vCash
    Friday night was tough. It was tough to put my kids through that, particularly for them to have to sit through almost 80 minutes of their dad directing his ranting and raving at the Force. The last thing I want to be is vocal, I'd much prefer to quietly sit in the stands watching the rugby, but it is pretty tough to sit quietly in frustration.

As a consequence of this (and the inability of the Force to get the kids excited), I despair that the little KQs will in the very near future revolt against attending Force home games and worse, shift their energy, support and time to the Eagles. This will no doubt undermine years of careful planning and indoctrination all geared towards ensuring rugby particularly in WA and Australia could bank on decades of continued support from the KQ household. It will also break their dad's heart.

I can only hope that Wests Subiaco has a fantastic year..

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think Homer Simpson's you don't win friends with salad song applies here. You don't win fans with penalties. It just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

It's time for the Force to channel their inner Phil Mooney and become the entertainers of Super 15 rugby. You have to give credit to Phil, he built the raw product that McKenzie fashioned into a champion side.

It was clear last year that other teams had found us out. We aren't able to construct too many try scoring opportunities so if one comes up opposition teams know to take the penalty. We don't have a goal kicker as accurate as O'Connor any more so that becomes an even better option. Where the Hurricanes were scoring a try for every penalty we kicked, it would be better to have them in a position where they'd prefer to kick than to counter attack.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Senior Player
    vCash
    I thought Hodgson was outstanding.

also, although Shepherd is constantly injured and his chip kick led to a try I still feel like he is the only one in the team that is capable of creating something from nothing, he is the only one with any class. These guys sidey, dellit just crash it up, they are not line breakers, but I guess there are no other options.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast