Thread: Stadium plans 'hijacked by lobbyists'

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Stadium plans 'hijacked by lobbyists'

AMANDA BANKS, The West Australian
    March 29, 2012, 6:37 pm

ED: Is this the same Ron Alexander that screwed RWA so royally over the use of Subi? And didnt want us to even move to NIB?

Department of Sport and Recreation chief Ron Alexander complained that Liberal Party lobbyists had hijacked negotiations over the redevelopment of NIB stadium and stymied efforts to ensure the $95 million taxpayer investment in the project was spent wisely, Freedom of Information documents released by the Opposition have revealed.

Shadow treasurer Ben Wyatt said the documents revealed that lobbyists had interfered to protect the interests of venue manager Allia and Mr Alexander’s advice that the management contract should be renegotiated on the back of the $95 million Government investment had been ignored.

Mr Wyatt said the failure to renegotiate the contract meant that opportunities to give the State access to revenue sharing arrangements, influence ongoing subsidies and promote the interests of stadium users had been foregone.

“This has been a huge missed opportunity to ensure that the taxpayers of WA got a significant benefit from their $100 million investment in NIB stadium and just as important, better access to that facility for sporting codes,” Mr Wyatt said.

“It has squandered a massive opportunity.”

The documents released under FOI include an email sent from Mr Alexander to the office of the Sports and Recreation Minister Terry Waldron on April 28 last year which complained that the department had been left in an “invidious position” because Allia had employed Liberal Party lobbyists to “work on the Government for them.”

“Trying to ensure that we develop a strong negotiating position has been difficult with (Allia) and (former Vincent mayor) Nick Catania dealing directly with the Premier’s office and our Minister’s office at will,” Mr Alexander said in the email.

“We never have been given the authority to get on and ensure the communities’ $90m + is wisely spent.

Every time one of them doesn’t like something they run off to higher office and we have to deal remotely with third hand information, hearsay and rightly or wrongly, the feeling of not being heard or supported on occasions.”

In a statement today, Mr Alexander said his job was to ensure the public were well represented in the deal. He said he had been aware the GRA Everingham had represented Allia and there was always hearsay in the community about interest groups.

“These were early days in the negotiation; the ensuing negotiations have seen a better deal,” Mr Alexander said.

“We have now greatly improved infrastructure in place at NIB stadium, which allayed my earlier concerns.”

Confronted in State Parliament yesterday over the documents, Premier Colin Barnett said his office had taken over responsibility for the commercial renegotiation of the heads of agreement for the project, which was a difficult process, and noted Allia had a contract for the management of the venue until 2024.

Mr Barnett said Mr Alexander had confirmed that to the best of his knowledge, there had been no involvement of any lobbyist in any negotiations in which he was involved.

He said Paul Everingham had made some telephone calls about the project which were of a generic nature and before negotiations over the agreement.

“There was no contact between myself, my office, or the director general with any lobbyist during the process of negotiating the heads of agreement,” Mr Barnett said.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...-by-lobbyists/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Just get on with the rebuild.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Questions raised over Perth Oval management deal

The State Opposition has questioned the role lobbyists played in the re-negotiation of a contract for the redevelopment of the Perth Oval.

Documents obtained under Freedom of Information show the director general of the Department of Sport and Recreation, Ron Alexander, warned against the deal struck by the government.

In a series of emails and briefing notes, Mr Alexander said the agreement would not result in any significant government revenue and was not in the best interests of sporting codes.

Shadow treasurer Ben Wyatt says the documents also reveal Mr Alexander felt stymied by Liberal party lobbyists working on behalf of the chosen management company.

Mr Wyatt says the government has serious questions to answer.

"This has been a huge missed opportunity to ensure that the tax payers of Western Australia got a significant benefit from their $100 million dollar investment in NIB stadium and just as important, better access to that facility for sporting codes," he said.

"The minister and the Premier have serious questions to raise as to why Liberal party lobbyists were allowed access to the Premier, why they overruled the director general of Department of Sport and Recreation, and exactly what else surrounds the deal regarding NIB Stadium," he said.

However, the Premier Colin Barnett has told parliament lobbyists had nothing to do with the re-negotiation.

"The Director General has informed me that to the best of his knowledge there was no involvement or role from any lobbyist in any negotiation in which he was involved," he said.
    "No involvement, no, no involvement."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-2...h-oval/3921480

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Yet in Christchurch they can renovate a stadium in 100 days...and that's on shaky ground!!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Champion
    vCash
    Anyone who's got "the west" on wednesday would of seen in the government section that there are 2 tenders out currently for "stage 2 of the East Perth Rectangular stadium upgrade, applications close on the 12 & 14th of April"...

When I used to contract to Dept of Sports & Rec. I had day2day regular meetings with Ron & management, and at the end of 1 of the meetings, I was talking to him personally (having a general chat) and he's comments were "Subiaco Oval is my priority, as soon as this has the suitable outcome for all Western Australian's then the minor projects will be looked into in due course"..... This is what we are up against...

vCash
    It's hard to blame him for that Benny, everyone in DSR is pretty much a WAFL bum-boy

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    The only issue I have is okay Scubiaco oval does need an upgrade but what gets played there (fumbles and the occasional concert that needs to hold more than 20,000 people)

Where East Perth Oval has got Rugby League - Rugby - Football - Concerts and the occasional family day. More Revenue for little money put into upgrade the infrastructure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    It's hard to blame him for that Benny, everyone in DSR is pretty much a WAFL bum-boy
    Given that Perth is a relatively small city that was probably inevitable. During the times that the initial stadium debate was raging and "We Need Corners" was active, it became obvious that the WA Football fraternity was well represented in most levels of Government. Jobs for the boys and who got them just depended on who was occupying the right-hand benches at the time. Whatever happened, all I care about is that someone somehow has thwarted any attempt by the AFL's stooges to stymie the development in order to push their agenda. I have no doubt that that was to gain management rights to whatever stadium the Force were to play at. The fact that the redevelopment is going ahead will also add impetus to having a Rugby League team in town as well. Gotta love that.

As an aside to that; the new ARL commission seems to be doing some great stuff lately. The pressure on Channel 9 to put live coverage into all states on GEM will be fantastic for them. I'd predict ratings will rise exponentially now that the games can be seen in reasonable viewing times. Just one more area where Super Rugby is getting the shaft.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    As an aside to that; the new ARL commission seems to be doing some great stuff lately. The pressure on Channel 9 to put live coverage into all states on GEM will be fantastic for them. I'd predict ratings will rise exponentially now that the games can be seen in reasonable viewing times. Just one more area where Super Rugby is getting the shaft.
    Filthy Mungo....

vCash
    I resemble that remark.

Pot, kettle, black :-)
    Posted via Mobile Device