Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Unheard Influence on Force Games.

vCash
    I remember once when the Force were close to the try line, the ref calling offside white twice, and asking the AR for a number, and the AR not being able to provide one. The ref then stated something along the lines that it would be good if the AR could try harder to provide numbers, and if he did have a number, the player would have been in the bin.

Such a shame that the AR couldn't see the number on the Tah's back.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I sat seething most of last nights game, and it was nothing to do with how our guys were playing.

What pissed me off was the comments and advice that were coming from the Assistant Referees to the referee Glen Jackson.

The last few home games I have turned off the commentary on my Sports Ears and just listed to the referee channel. There, unlike the TV you can hear the calls from the AR's clear as a bell.

You would expect a game like last night which was so close that the calls about infringements called from the touchline would be about even, but NO.

Just about all the calls from the touch line to the ref were about pointing out Force errors or penalties.

The only calls in favor of the Force were in the 62-72 minutes where an AR called "White Offside" and one said "I didn't see the grounding but the ball was definitely over the line" when Sheehan scored his try.

( I actually at this point went racing for the program to see who the TMO was and was aghast to see the name George Ayoub, but was pleasantly surprised to hear the try awarded as George has NEVER ruled in favour of the Force while a TMO. I found out later it was someone else and the program was wrong)

A couple of minutes later when it was called "white offside" but when the ref asked for a number with the intention to sinbin another Tah the couldn't tell him the number. It was at this point that Ref Jackson said something along the lines of "thanks guys but I need a number next time".

One AR intervention was the calling of Longbottoms "high tackle" on Pretorious when Kbum was going in as low as possible and Pretorious was falling in the tackle and Kbum collided with his chest and then rode up over his head. Three points to the Tahs.

The real big pissoff for me was the comments 3 times from and AR of "good decision" when ref Jackson awarded a penalty against the Force and 1 time with the encouragement of 'good decision - keep going".

When Jackson asked the AR's in the 32-40th minutes about the scrum, the only input was "Blue bind dropping off" when Mafu was eventually sin binned but no comment about Ben Robinson twisting in the engagement to put Mafu on the ground.

Last night was not an isolated occurrence with AR's calling against the Force. A few weeks ago one AR's was giving the advice to the ref that "Brown is doing ....." or "Brown is doing...." and the ref had to ask "which number".

Maybe SANZAR are doing their best to get the best refs on the park but it leaves a lot to be desired to be putting the also rans on the touchlines.

The program last night listed the AR's as Ian Smith and Julian Pritchard.

Where are they from? NSW of course.
    gerry is it possible to post that broadcast just to prove to people how biased the refs are? Would be good to make it all really public and embarrass the Rugby Board into doing something?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Any techno wizards know how to record from sports ears?

I was thunking the same thing last night.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Yeah, it'd be pretty easy. Just have a device that takes the headphone out into a line in - really wouldn't be an issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    gerry is it possible to post that broadcast just to prove to people how biased the refs are? Would be good to make it all really public and embarrass the Rugby Board into doing something?
    I heard it as well through my sorts ears and could not believe the AR could not provide a number. I believe there is some bias against the Force from some refs and not to mention the Fox commentary team.

vCash
    I don't know about you guys, but I sat seething most of last nights game, and it was nothing to do with how our guys were playing.

What pissed me off was the comments and advice that were coming from the Assistant Referees to the referee Glen Jackson.

The last few home games I have turned off the commentary on my Sports Ears and just listed to the referee channel. There, unlike the TV you can hear the calls from the AR's clear as a bell.

You would expect a game like last night which was so close that the calls about infringements called from the touchline would be about even, but NO.

Just about all the calls from the touch line to the ref were about pointing out Force errors or penalties.

The only calls in favor of the Force were in the 62-72 minutes where an AR called "White Offside" and one said "I didn't see the grounding but the ball was definitely over the line" when Sheehan scored his try.

( I actually at this point went racing for the program to see who the TMO was and was aghast to see the name George Ayoub, but was pleasantly surprised to hear the try awarded as George has NEVER ruled in favour of the Force while a TMO. I found out later it was someone else and the program was wrong)

A couple of minutes later when it was called "white offside" but when the ref asked for a number with the intention to sinbin another Tah the couldn't tell him the number. It was at this point that Ref Jackson said something along the lines of "thanks guys but I need a number next time".

One AR intervention was the calling of Longbottoms "high tackle" on Pretorious when Kbum was going in as low as possible and Pretorious was falling in the tackle and Kbum collided with his chest and then rode up over his head. Three points to the Tahs.

The real big pissoff for me was the comments 3 times from and AR of "good decision" when ref Jackson awarded a penalty against the Force and 1 time with the encouragement of 'good decision - keep going".

When Jackson asked the AR's in the 32-40th minutes about the scrum, the only input was "Blue bind dropping off" when Mafu was eventually sin binned but no comment about Ben Robinson twisting in the engagement to put Mafu on the ground.

Last night was not an isolated occurrence with AR's calling against the Force. A few weeks ago one AR's was giving the advice to the ref that "Brown is doing ....." or "Brown is doing...." and the ref had to ask "which number".

Maybe SANZAR are doing their best to get the best refs on the park but it leaves a lot to be desired to be putting the also rans on the touchlines.

The program last night listed the AR's as Ian Smith and Julian Pritchard.

Where are they from? NSW of course.
    Hi All
    Who ever gives the Force programme the offical for our games likes to mix it up so we just dont know as it was quoted as Last week steve ??? was the TMO and it ended up being GA and this week was suppose to be GA and it was Steve and also is the TMO located in perth or the east as George A Called 2 games back to back last week

You all on the right track and I do think that a commentator has no right to tell officals to penilise a team more typical eastern states mentality

vCash
    You see Glen Jackson, you can award a team yellow card and send someone off for the team being offside all the time. You don't need a number. Watch the reffing in Brumbies v Rebels and get some tips from a real ref!
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    PS It was you stalking me :-)
    No - I meant you internet stalking Jules (J Pritchard), not me & Corey!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Is my memory getting away from me, or is it actually a Law that if the player cannot be identified then the Captain takes the card?

Don't worry Gerry, the match will be reviewed and the appropriate changes made...except to the scorecard...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player
    vCash
    One aspect that the Assistant Refs can police more is the post cleanout situation, where a player is held down for an extended period so that he is taken out of the next ruck or play. Poey is particularly targeted by opposition teams - I know everyone does it, but he is held down longer than most.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Is my memory getting away from me, or is it actually a Law that if the player cannot be identified then the Captain takes the card?
    Yes, that's correct.

Your memory IS getting away from you.

It is not in law that the captain takes one form the team. It is most certainly possible, however, that a ref could, when issuing the general team warning, tell the captain that, if the offender cannot be identified, that the captain will be the one to "take one for the team". The argument being that it is the captain's responsibility to pass on the general team warning to his players to stop them from continuingly infringing and he/she clearly failed if they do it again.

Rookie
    vCash
    Fox commentators are the worst ! They make Murray mexted look good
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2