Thread: Play Rogers at inside centre, says Horan

vCash

Play Rogers at inside centre, says Horan

Play Rogers at inside centre, says Horan

Wallaby great Tim Horan says Mat Rogers should replace the injured Matt Giteau at inside centre for Sunday's rugby Test against England in Sydney.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I disagree entirely with Horan. Rogers might be good on attack but he is an absolute powderpuff on defence - and he can't take a hit (which he's going get a fair bit of in that position particularly with his history). Wasn't it Lewsey who wiped him out in a head on tackle a few years ago to the extent that he was jittery for a few games thereafter? At 12 there is no place to hide when your opponents are running at you!

Player
    vCash
    Play Staniforth at Inside Centre, says felixnelson

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Listen to felixnelson, says Burgs

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    i don't envy knuckles for having to make the call hey. Whoever he choses it can either go really well or really badly for him. Talk about being spoilt for choice though!

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Stanners is the answer, Will Connoly see this is the question...

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    Tuqiri played good last year when he was put at 13.
    What about:

10.Larkham
    11.Shepperd/Rathbone
    12.Mortlock
    13.Tuqiri
    14. Gerrard
    15. Latham

Tuqiri at 13 could be something to look at in the future, as Rogers, Larkharm, and Mortlock are aging. Then Giteau can possibly move to 10/12. Bring in Barnes and Norton-Knight.

Go NuTz

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Personally I didn't really rate Tuqiri's performances at #13 very highly at all.
    He lacks the passing finesse required and is often caught with the ball trying to bust through, either turning over possesion or giving away vital penalties.
    In my view Tuqiri and Mortlock are arguably the best in the world (or at least top three) in their respective positions and it would be a major risk doing a double change.
    It was hinted at as a possability on Inside Rugby on Thursday night however, if anyone was to "come in", I would bring Gerrard into #12.
    He is a very gifted player who has the ability to play in any position from #12 out.
    Giteau will be the long term #12 in my opinion (once he stops injuring himself!) and will form the lynchpin of a formidable backline with Gerrard, Tuqiri, Shepherd etal post France '07.
    In the immediate future, with Gits injured, I imagine that Knuckles will persist with the injury prone and inferior Rogers at the expense of the positionally experienced Staniforth, Fairbanks and Norton-Knight.
    With Fairbanks and Norton-Knight, I'm not sure why you would pick two experienced inside backs in your squad if you are not going to use them before "blooding" an older outside back first?
    Rogers is a magnificent rugby player and his skills are best used when he has room to be creative, to use him at #12 (or even worse #10!) is to waste his best assets.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Player
    vCash
    I would think that Rogers would be about the best bench player in world rugby if he sat there. Imagine having the availability of a quality flyhalf, fullback or winger ready to make an impact in the game when he is needed. I like Rogers, but i dont like him at 12. I could see Tuqiri and Gerrard around the ground at the end of the match but they should start where they are best and belong, on the wing. I'd also like to see Cordingly get another start.... The time he spent on the field in that Ireland game Australia has 25% of the possession. Give him another go i reckon. How about this?

Team when the game starts:
    9 Cordingly
    10 Larkham
    11 Tuqiri
    12 Staniforth
    13 Mortlock
    14 Gerrard
    15 Latham
    20 Gregan
    21 Rogers
    22 Shepherd

When the game ends:
    9 Gregan
    10 Rogers
    11 Shepherd
    12 Mortlock
    13 Tuqiri
    14 Gerrard
    15 Latham
    Benched
    Cordingly
    Staniforth
    Larkham

I acknowledge that this happens in a perfect world with no injuries and i know it is dependant on how the players perform on the night but i thought it give some players the start they deserve and give players some game time in their better or different positions. Its a little to risky against the All Blacks....I just wish we had another $hitkicker game against England where all you have to do is show up to win and you can do whatever the hell you want with your players haha. If nothing us this line up is a debating point.
    cheers,
    Felix

vCash
    I like the lineup when the game ends. Tuqiri can do some damage in the midfield when the defences are tired. The Waratahs combination with Rogers will also help.

Go NuTz