Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ben Tapuai ponders move to Force

vCash

Ben Tapuai ponders move to Force

QUEENSLAND Reds' Wallabies centre Ben Tapuai has been in Perth negotiating a possible move to the Western Force.
    Tapuai, who has missed the second half of the Super Rugby season after breaking his collarbone in the Reds home match against the Stormers, had been linked to the Rebels, although the Melbourne franchise was quick to squash those rumours.

But a move to WA could be on the cards for the talented centre after he made a flying one-day visit to Perth for meetings with Force officials. Tapuai does not have a manager and handles his own negotiations.

Reds coach Ewen McKenzie, however, is unperturbed by Tapuai's visit and indeed held a one-on-one meeting with Tapuai in Brisbane this morning.

"I actually tell players to get out there and see what they're worth in the big, wide world," said McKenzie.

..."I don't see anything sinister in him talking with the Force. We're not here to rip players off. We want them to be happy and we're offering them a good program. Different players have different motivations, of course, but I think his motivation is pretty genuine.

"We've been talking since January and we're still talking. Up to the point where he was injured, he was arguably our best player."

Reds centres Mike and Anthony Fain’gaa are current in the Wallabies squad and competition is fierce for starting berths.

While the Force might have missed out on recruiting the Wallabies' man of the moment, Will Genia, they could well have a Genia on their books next year after the Reds' interim captain's younger brother Nigel, a halfback with Wests in Brisbane Premier Rugby, made the move to Perth to join Associates club in what is being seen as a bid for a Force contract.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226392836053

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    I hope the Reds do not scuttle another one of our potential signings as he could be huge for us. I also hope Tim Horan keeps his nose out of this one, we do not need a baised media playing us off again for their own ends.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    I really wish the media would stay out of the player’s contract negotiations. All they do is create unnecessary gossip and speculation and its really starting to give me the s**ts.

Go back only a month ago and apparently he was signing with the Rebels, then he was staying at the Reds and now is in discussions with the Force.... The ARU as an organisation really need to start addressing this process it’s starting to become an embarrassment.

vCash
    I failed to mention in my rant above that I hope he signs with the Force.

vCash
    I know bugger all how the salary cap thingy works, but my basic understanding was that the clubs players cannot exceed 4 million right? So surely after resigning Cooper & Genia for a combined total of almost 1 million, surely they don't have enough left in the coffers to look after other top players like Ioane, Faiinga & Tapuai?

Rookie
    vCash
    I believe both Tapuai and mike Harris are off contract and there would not be too much cash to splash around for both. mike harris can kick so he may be the one they want to keep. In saying that you would hope the Force would open the purse strings to get Tapuai.

vCash
    Nothing wrong with the media speculating on player movements.. There is nothing the ARU can do to stop that either, it happens in every sport and buisness.

If rumors are correct, cooper and Genia were signed for a combined $800'000/year...pretty good for both parties.. QLD may not offer as much for players to remain, but it definetly helps by having players like Genia, Cooper and Ioane signed for a few more years. Players will accept lower wages for the chance to play alongside these guys.

If Taps goes then good or him, he has the opportunity to grasp a leadership role in the Force backline and increase the quality of the team . It will be a loss for the Reds but can't keep everyone.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    . It will be a loss for the Reds but can't keep everyone.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    We proved that in 2005/06

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Really hope he does. This would tie up nicely with InnForcer's teasing on Genia's little brothers thread.

If it is true, the backline is really starting to take shape for next year. Won't believe anything until the ink's dry though.

Really hope we don't get burned again! Stay away QRU!!!!!!!! & Horan you little Machiavellian weasel!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    "We proved that in 2005/06 "

oh dear!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDS View Post
    ... Horan you little Machiavellian weasel!
    LOL! Onya made my day

Exactly the player we need a passing 12, and not the marquee either. This guy needs to be numero uno, hes a wobbly in the making and cannot be in the ruck with Lucas, Harris, Faingaa, F'Sautia

BTW although Id like him we don't need Harris we have Ebersohn, with Seymour and Godwin as back ups. Lets put the effort and filthy lucre into what we DO need.

Last edited by sittingbison; 12-06-12 at 17:29.
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    I know bugger all how the salary cap thingy works, but my basic understanding was that the clubs players cannot exceed 4 million right? So surely after resigning Cooper & Genia for a combined total of almost 1 million, surely they don't have enough left in the coffers to look after other top players like Ioane, Faiinga & Tapuai?
    Zed, I think the ARU has recently upped the cap to 4.8 million (or thereabouts). Clubs had been expecting it to go to about 4.25 I think.

vCash
    I beleive the cap has been raised to 4.5 mil

vCash
    ...cooper and Genia were signed for a combined $800'000/year...
    Gee TOCC thats a couple of hundred at least shy of the mark. Genia is a minimum $450k and Cooper was demanding $600k last I heard. And he isn't doing it for the love of the red jersey, its all me me me.

Quote Originally Posted by Quade Cooper View Post
    "...a possible switch to rugby league had been something that was very much in the frame. I was quite interested in it and likewise my management, but I felt that staying with the Reds was the right thing for me to do at this point in time..."

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    If Taps goes then good or him, he has the opportunity to grasp a leadership role in the Force backline and increase the quality of the team . It will be a loss for the Reds but can't keep everyone.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    You would replace him pretty quickly. I don't think Anthony Faingaa's long term future is at 13 and you've obviously got Mike Harris too. Chris F'Sautia would be a good option at 13 once he's got some experience under his belt on the wings.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast