Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: State of the union: dire and not getting better

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

State of the union: dire and not getting better

BY: WAYNE SMITH From: The Australian June 14, 2012 12:00AM

DAYS after ARU chief executive John O'Neill ridiculed criticism from former Wallabies coach John Connolly about the state of our game, Australia crashed to its second straight shock defeat at the under-20 World Cup.

O'Neill, who returned to the helm of the ARU midway through 2007, had labelled Connolly's criticism that the past four years had been the worst in the history of professional rugby in Australia as absurd and not based on fact.

But barely had he uttered those words than the David Nucifora-coached Australia slumped to a 31-7 defeat to France in South Africa.

Also losing to Argentina, Australia has missed the semi-finals for only the second time. Indeed, it must now meet France again at Newlands on Sunday in a playoff for fifth, a loss ensuring Australia would have its worst finish in the history of the tournament, having placed third last year, second in 2010, fourth in 2009 and fifth in 2008.

"Until this year, the country's best under-20 players would train on a daily basis with and against senior players in the five Australian Super Rugby teams," Connolly said. "Now they only train with players who are around their own age. They're not getting that daily exposure to training with the top professional squads."

The franchises opposed the ARU consolidation plan, but to no avail.

Connolly also claimed that while Nucifora has monopolised the Australian under-20 coaching position, New Zealand had furthered the development of its brightest young coaches by each year appointing three to handle the NZ side that has won every title.

"Each year, one of the coaches from the previous year drops out and a new coach is brought into his place, so NZ has basically a production line of coaches getting international experience," Connolly said.

"By contrast, Australia each year has Nucifora handling the team, assisted by Anthony Eddy. How is that helping the emergence of the next generation of coaches?"

Connolly said his call for a full review of Australian rugby should the Wallabies lose the three-Test series against Wales was not directed against coach Robbie Deans. "It's about bringing consistency and professionalism to Australian rugby. The players are busting a gut but they are not getting the support they need."

The former Wallabies coach also queried why the ARU would allow O'Neill to take on the role of acting chairman of Echo Entertainment.

O'Neill, who last week took over as Echo chairman at a time when a battle is looming for control of the company, has a clause in his ARU contract that enables him to accept external directorships.

"At a moment when Australian rugby needs the full attention of its CEO, it's curious the ARU has no problem with him devoting much of his time to Echo," Connolly said.

"It's now time for the ARU to find someone with vision to run the game."

Meanwhile, the Queensland Reds have left Quade Cooper out of their side to play the Hurricanes tomorrow night in an exhibition match to make certain he is fully recovered from his hamstring problem when Super Rugby resumes on June 29.

Ben Daly, Beau Robinson and Van Humphries have also been rested.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226394872934

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Are you sure quade being dropped isn't because he's been a naughty boy???

vCash
    Bloody hell I agree with both Wayne smith and John Connolly, Satan must need an overcoat

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Are you sure quade being dropped isn't because he's been a naughty boy???
    It's bizarre. I thought he was meant to be getting match fit? Wasn't that why he was dropped from wobbly squad? To play more games?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Knuckles 2 d JO'N 0

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Super Rugby is apparently receiving record ratings... And I think people are forgetting the team which RD inherited, we didn't have a halves combination or a front row...

We just beat the 6 Nations champions twice minus the Wallaby Captain and JOC, Beale, Mitchell and QC

Not sure things are as dire as suggested
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Super Rugby is apparently receiving record ratings... And I think people are forgetting the team which RD inherited, we didn't have a halves combination or a front row...

We just beat the 6 Nations champions twice minus the Wallaby Captain and JOC, Beale, Mitchell and QC

Posted via Mobile Device
    So you really want to wait two months before admitting that the wallabies aren't up to it at the top level?

Against the best game Ireland could have ever put together, the AllBlacks still looked confident and clinical, putting it away at the death when required. The Bok (last I looked) were slaughtering the Pom. I think we're a lot better at this point than I expected......we might beat the pumas!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
    The ARU needs to find a model for a national second tier competition. The young players won't develop as they should be unless They are exposed to proper competition.

The scrapping of the academies was also a dick move on their behalf.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    So you really want to wait two months before admitting that the wallabies aren't up to it at the top level?

Against the best game Ireland could have ever put together, the AllBlacks still looked confident and clinical, putting it away at the death when required. The Bok (last I looked) were slaughtering the Pom. I think we're a lot better at this point than I expected......we might beat the pumas!
    We always look a lot worse than we actually are. We have this habit of playing to the level of the opposition- good or bad. That's why we always lose to teams like Scotland or Samoa. We'll lift a few notches against NZ and SA.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Rookie
    vCash
    Knukkles is right.Played in a provincial u-18 comp about 40 years ago.Most of our team were still playing secondary school against each other.When we came up against teams like Waikato who had a couple of backs who played senior grade, the difference was incredible.It happened then so it shouldn't be any different now.We should have our own academy and they should have total contact with the senior playing group.Else you'll always get mummies little boys verses young men.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    The Wallabies used to be regarded as one of the major challenges for the Northern Hemisphere sides but they have lost that auror. They do not have the cohesion and talent that used to be. Whether that can be built again I'm not sure but I would say a review of how rugby is being developed in Australia compared to other nations would make sense. There will hopefully be a model that can work for us. NZ is not a bad place to start!

Just happy to be here

vCash

Please explain to me how the 6 Nations Champions aren't at top level?

You need to learn to take articles like this with a grain of salt, personal differences and political agenda's are generally the underlying issue...

The facts are Australia just beat the 6Nations Champions... New Zealand was almost beaten by a team who were not the 6 Nations Champions..
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I wasn't even talking about the article. I was talking about the games as I saw them.

The AllBlacks had an off game, but there was never any hint that they were in trouble. In contrast, the wallabies looked about to lose it for the entire second half. The Irish played out of their skins and wales were approaching their potential. I reckon wales will win next week, so much so that I'll be betting my vhouse on it!

AllBlacks will slaughter Ireland because they have something to

C'mon the

vCash
    I reckon wales will win next week, so much so that I'll be betting my vhouse on it!
    The Wallabies will win agai, I reckon. Being totally honest, hypothetically, would you be convinced enough to put real money on that result. A decent amount?

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    State of the union: dire? No

Wales are a top side. They won the 6 nations. We beat them twice this year so far and have won the series without a bunch of our "stars". Admittedly we got beaten by Scotland but with the conditions and the lead up that's understandable (although very annoying).

We are the current Tri-nations champions and came third in the world cup last year.

Not getting better? Probably true
    No decent second tier rugby.
    No decent acadamy system. Two acadamies wtf?
    International Sevens traditional recruiting ground may well dry up as guys forge a career in just that format.

coz Stone Cold says so

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast