Thread: Change in tax to fit footy codes

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Change in tax to fit footy codes

AUSTRALIA'S football codes are bracing themselves for the impact of changes to the living away from home tax allowance that kick in next month.

The dramatic narrowing of the allowance will make transfers to interstate and overseas clubs financially less attractive both to players and coaches.

The change is expected to have the biggest impact on Super Rugby clubs such as the Western Force - on the opposite side of the country to rugby's heartland - and young players who move interstate to join the squads of NRL and AFL teams.

The living away from home allowance is a government benefit offered to Australian citizens who have to move interstate or overseas for their work, as well as to overseas employees who come to Australia for their jobs and hold a 457 temporary work visa. In effect, the allowance reduces the taxable incomes of those eligible to receive it.

But as part of a fringe benefit tax reform expected to provide savings of nearly $700 million, the federal government from July 1 will limit the tax exemption to only those who can demonstrate that they are maintaining a residence for their personal use in Australia and that they are living away from for work purposes.

Anyone claiming the allowance will also be required to substantiate their expenditure on accommodation and food.

So concerned is the NRL at the impact of the tax changes on young footballers moving away from their family homes to play for interstate clubs or the NZ Warriors that it wrote last month to the Assistant Treasurer David Bradbury and the Minister for Youth Peter Garrett asking that players under the age of 25 be exempted.

Even if the allowance is not directly factored into players' salary packages, it undoubtedly is weighed up by players contemplating a change of clubs.

Potentially the football code most affected would be Australian football, although the AFL to date has taken no direct action over the changes.

"We're still assessing the potential impact on AFL players and AFL staff required to move interstate," an AFL spokesman said last night.

In the case of the Western Force, the impact of the changes could be to make the already difficult task of luring players from the east coast to Perth nigh on impossible.

"We have 19 players out of our squad of 35 players, as well as a number of the coaching staff who are currently in the LAFHA system," Force chief executive Vern Reid said yesterday.

"I know in one case the overall benefit is approximately $30,000 a year, while for an extended playing squad player making $40,000 a year, $4200 of that comes from the allowance."
    At present, players and coaches are allowed to claim the allowance for two years, after which they are considered by the Australian Taxation Office to have effectively moved home.

"Clearly we believe we already are at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting and this is going to add to our difficulties. Agents will factor in what a player would have received under the allowance and then suggest that someone is going to need to make up that shortfall," Reid said.
    Rugby Union Players Association boss Greg Harris said the allowance changes fed into the bigger picture of the inequitable economic basis on which Australia's Super Rugby franchises operated, with Queensland and NSW not having the same difficulties facing the Force, the Melbourne Rebels and the ACT Brumbies.

"RUPA is looking into the problem but unfortunately that's a cost of business consideration for the WA club and the Australian Rugby Union needs to take that into account in making its grant allocations to the franchises," Harris said.

Rebels chief executive Steve Boland said the club was sufficiently concerned by the allowance changes that it had made a presentation to its players yesterday, explaining how it would affect them.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226399197679

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I didn't know that was applicable. I don't think it should be. At least not without the person claimimg the allowance needing to show the he/she is still maintaining a permanent residence elsewhere. A case in point would be where Donut played here for two seasons whilst maintaining a house in Sydney for his wife and children.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I didn't know that was applicable. I don't think it should be. At least not without theerson claimimg the allowance needing to show the he/she is still maintain a permanent residence elsewhere, a case in point would be where Donut played here for two seasons whilst maintaining a house in Sydney for his wife and children.
    You don't need to maintain a residence elsewhere to be able to claim LAFHA, you just need to prove you were require to relocate for work, the company usually has a form you sign to state where you normally reside, and where you are now living for the pourpses of work.

It's generally $420/$440 per week tax free as well for those wondering. So it can actually be used to make profit if you do it right, which is why I assume the govt is changing it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    which is why I assume the govt is changing it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Exactly. A rort.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    A rort is only a rort if your not involved

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Exactly. A rort.
    Yeah it's a load of shit to do ANYTHING possible to get the surplus. Same with means testing the private health care rebate.

The government is fucking useless. And the alternative is just as bad
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Jono - our next independent politician....!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I'm not looking forward to finding out how it'll effect me if I go back on site
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Yeah it's a load of shit to do ANYTHING possible to get the surplus. Same with means testing the private health care rebate.

Posted via Mobile Device

It's cost me personally a LARGE amount of money. But I'm trying to look at things from a wider perspective. Interesting to see whether the pollies limit themselves to 2 years.

vCash
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I believe I'll vote for a 3rd party candidate.....

vCash
    It's cost me personally a LARGE amount of money. But I'm trying to look at things from a wider perspective. Interesting to see whether the pollies limit themselves to 2 years.
    i'm looking into how much it's going to cost me at the moment.

vCash
    I didn't mean the LAHA. I meant the 2012 budget cuts already announced. Specifically the superannuation indian giving.

Trying not to get too about them, but it's not easy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    ive had a look and im sure most of these guys will not be affected by the reforms.
    1) they have to provide receipts of expenditure over "to be determined ammount" per day while living away (im sure they can do this)
    2) if they return home on a regular basis then the 12 month rule will not apply.

the ones that might be affected in a big way will be the temporary residents such as Sias Ebersohn, the east coast folks will continue to benefit from it, with possibly a small change in how they go about substantiating their expenditure thats all.