Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Perth's New Super Stadium

Rookie Contributor spankytheking's Avatar
    vCash
    They can build it in my backyard

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A cautionary tale from Greg Growden (SMH) regarding Concord and the risks of investing outside of logic:

Not that long ago big-talking rugby administrators proclaimed that Concord Oval would be the southern hemisphere's equivalent of Cardiff Arms Park.

This was going to be NSW rugby's mecca. Admittedly Concord had its moments, including staging in 1987 what is still regarded as among international rugby's top-five matches - the world cup semi-final between France and Australia.

But now Concord Oval is a sad place, and a brutal reminder of how rugby officials can get it wrong.

The NSW Rugby Union, after Concord contributed to pushing it towards the poorhouse, has long left the premises, and the West Tigers league team has moved in.

There are still vivid reminders of a better era. Underneath the main grandstand, down from the Tigers gymnasium, are a series of large posters that show off past Waratahs marvels. Nick Farr-Jones is dashing down the field. Mark Ella is dancing. John Thornett is on the charge. Simon Poidevin is causing trouble. Ken Catchpole is firing up a back line. Greg Davis is about to run through someone.

Not that long ago, hundreds would mill under these posters. On Saturday afternoon, where Concord was the venue for the West Harbour-Penrith grade match, there were only a few.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Until that changes (or Perth booms enough to support two such venues) the Perth-Fremantle corridor will remain the physical and "spiritual" centre of our State.
    ok but in the same spiritual way the WACA is the home of WA cricket, there seems to be enough people calling for that ground to be scrapped - can't have it both ways.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think the arguments regarding the WACA tend to be more about it's suitability to be used for Rugby rather than scrapping it as a venue Happy?
    Certainly I have no desire to see the WACA scrapped as a Cricket Ground.
    Only a couple of games a year allows you to overlook it's short-comings in terms of access etc because as a facility it suits its patronage and its sport.
    That is different to the full fixture list of WA Winter sports.
    The only official line I have seen for scrapping the WACA has been to move the Cricketing Calender to Subiaco, still in the "spiritual" corridor of the centre of WA.
    Cockburn is thirty years away from being anything but the "Concord" of WA sports. So, consider it in thirty years when the population may (or may not) warrant it.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    yeah .. i still see two arguements coming from people though Burgs, one hand you say to overlook shortcomings, the other to stay in the perth to fremantle region... I think in the long rung if we build a 60,000 square pitch anywhere on the freeway AND railway WA as a whole will benefit!

Now obviously moving out of the city and this coridoor you note will allow for larger space and cheaper land.

Perth is too congested, subi has shite parking, east parth won't have much more, which means people will tend to travel via public transport - and it is that which I base my push to move out of this "tradition" viewpoint and dont keep it central.

When you can move people quickly and cheaply enough it won't be an issue where the ground is located - if, as a compromise, you provide quality facilities. Read - build a ground the likes of SunCorp Stadium!

Right now we can afford to.

vCash
    Lets look at the VFL/AFL

They built Waverly out in the burbs....

No one went there.

They sold it for housing and built a new stadium in the City (Docklands).

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    good point Mambo!

maybe we could reclaim 4 acres of the swan river in between the narrows and canning bridge - nice and flat, next to train and freeway!!

vCash
    Is that a bit of sarcasm Happy?

But I don't think that the East Perth solution is any good at all.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    nah mate I was serious ... if having things miles away from the city is no good, then I threw something else in .. thinking outside the square!

Apprentice Contributor Sweetooth1's Avatar
    vCash
    keeep workin on it lads, youv'e got the whole winter to choose a place.
    Me --------- i think we should build over the road from
    Knock the lot down around it

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mambo No. 5
    But I don't think that the East Perth solution is any good at all.
    Every option has it's ups and downs but what is the down side to the East Perth option?

I reckon the Happy option of relcaiming land would be an amazing solution. Can't see it happening, but it would be an amazing centre piece for a city, which is clearly dedicated to it's sport.

Just happy to be here

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    the downside to east perth from what I see will be the opposition by local tennants, they are rich people - probably with a lot of sway with the East perth Redevelopment council or board or whatever it is...

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer
    Every option has it's ups and downs but what is the down side to the East Perth option?
    The biggest UP side for East Perth is that it is not Cock Burn

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer

I reckon the Happy option of relcaiming land would be an amazing solution. Can't see it happening, but it would be an amazing centre piece for a city, which is clearly dedicated to it's sport.
    Nothing concrete but I see that it really only has one way to get there, via the GF freeway. At least with Subi there are many roads out: Wellington, Murray, Hay, Loftus, Thomas, Cambridge that are all pretty good roads to get out. Whereas the East Perth is just GF freeway and East Pde which only taks you north east..... Plus there is only one train station close whereas subi has one and each end of the ground.... and to a lesser extent Leederville for the northern line.

Then there is the pubs...... but that can take forever to list....

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mambo No. 5
    Then there is the pubs...... but that can take forever to list....
    Around Subi there's only one pub you need to know

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast