Thread: Learning curve steeper for Manu

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

Learning curve steeper for Manu

Young Force tighthead prop Salesi Manu has had the toughest of initiations to the dark arts of the front row.

Two weeks ago he made his run-on Super Rugby debut against Wallaby Ben Alexander with 63 Tests to his name.

Last Saturday he went eye to eye with Tony Woodcock, a veteran of 86 All Black appearances, and it won't get any easier today when he packs down against Ben Franks, the Crusader pushing Woodcock for that Test spot.

Pretty daunting for any prop but the uncompromising 21-year-old has not taken a step back in a front row that has been one of the highlights of an otherwise poor Force season.

"It's been an excellent experience to come up against world-class props that I've grown up watching on television," he said.

"It shows me where I stand and what I've got to aim at.

"Being the young bloke they tried to get at me and there was a bit of niggle but that's all part of being in the front row. I was expecting it but I was just focusing on my game and I'm ugly enough to cop all the whacks."

The Force have a strong group of front-rowers including Wallabies Salesi Ma'afu and Pek Cowan, Kieran Longbottom and Tetera Faulkner.

"To be honest I thought I might be lucky to get a couple of games off the bench with the guys in front of me. I never imagined this," Manu said.

He has a big future - literally. He already weighs 122kg and bench presses 200kg yet is surprisingly mobile and his work rate and ball carrying is exceptional.

"It doesn't come naturally. I've had to put in a lot of hard work," he said.

Force forwards coach Nick Stiles has been impressed with Manu's work since he signed to the extended playing squad.

"He's diligent and he's worked hard from the first day," Stiles said.

"What I like about him is that he knows the challenges he faces and how he's been working hard to improve. He has natural strength and now he's learning how to transfer that to scrummaging."

Today's game is the biggest of the season for the Crusaders, the seven-times Super Rugby champions.

They must win to qualify for the play-offs and get a home final, and coach Todd Blackadder has moved All Blacks captain Richie McCaw to No.8 to have a back row stacked with experience.

Robbie Fruean will be out to celebrate his 24th birthday with a win but may have to do it from the bench after starting 38 consecutive Super matches for the Crusaders.

Blackadder has given Fruean, who had open heart surgery to repair a life-threatening condition a few years ago, time to freshen-up.
    It doesn't come naturally. I've had to put in a lot of hard work. " *Salesi Manu *

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    i like his work in and around the rucks. Always gets ous over the advantage line going forward. imo he's a keeper. his scrummaging will improve with experience.

vCash
    I really liked his mobility. He seemed to threaten to crack the line almost every time he got the pill.

Veteran
    vCash
    i would love to have a chat and see what it was like packing down against some great props. the ones you watch (almost) as a kid,

vCash
    Considering his experience I'd have to say I'm happiest with his scrummaging. He's packed down against some of the best in world rugby in the last couple of weeks and certainly not been embarrassed. He definitely shows signs of a great future.

Add that to some mobility and power in the loose and he'll be better than Benny A in a short amount of time.

Woodcock might take a little longer!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Bench press 200kg???
    Could have a lucrative career as a car jack!!!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    When he was a lad he held down a part time job as a forklift.

Gave it away because he said the driver was always on his back.

C'mon the

vCash
    Oh snap
    Posted via Mobile Device