Thread: First Qantas Wallabies Training Squad named

vCash

First Qantas Wallabies Training Squad named

The return of the previously injured Test wingers Drew Mitchell & Lachie Turner, and the inclusion of Western Force winger Nick Cummins, Melbourne Rebels midfield back Mitch Inman and the NSW Waratahs prop Paddy Ryan are notable features of the Qantas Wallabies train on squad for the upcoming Castrol EDGE Rugby Championship which has been named at the 2012 Bledisloe Cup Festival launch in Sydney this morning.

Twenty-seven players have been named in a provisional group which will assemble in Sydney for a three-day camp between July 24-26.

The training group will be supplemented by three players – an outside backs and two loose forwards – from within the ranks of the national Rugby Academy programme.

Their presence allows for fully opposed training sessions, while also introducing the younger players to the standards of preparation required within the senior national team framework.

No Queensland Reds players have been considered due to their on-going FxPro Super Rugby playoffs commitments and the uncertainty that places over their availability.

Western Force lock Nathan Sharpe has also been rested from the camp.

The return of Mitchell and Turner, neither of whom were considered fit enough for selection in June as they continued their respective returns from injury, was flagged when the pair trained with the Wallabies in the lead-up to last month’s 20-19 win in the final Test of The Castrol EDGE Wales Tour in Sydney.

Kurtley Beale, who made his Test return for the year in that match, has been included today, but his Melbourne Rebels team-mate James O’Connor remains on the sideline as he continues rehabilitation from a hamstring strain.

The upcoming training camp is the first of two that will be held before the Qantas Wallabies squad for the inaugural Castrol EDGE Rugby Championship assembles in Sydney on August 7 to prepare for the opening Bledisloe Cup Test in the city.

The second camp is in Sydney on August 1-3, with the 30-man squad for The Championship to be finalised following that gathering.

Consistent with the approach in previous seasons, the involvement of a wider group of players in preparation allows a greater number to be exposed to Wallaby methods and trainings, so the base knowledge is there when injuries or form loss requires personnel changes.

This takes on an even greater importance this year looking ahead to the Spring Tour which, unlike in previous seasons, follows hard on the heels of the domestic Test programme, with the touring party departing just 10 days after the third Bledisloe Cup Test against New Zealand in Brisbane on October 20.

“The camps provide us with an important opportunity for training background,” Qantas Wallabies coach Robbie Deans says.

“It gives us the chance to bring the whole group together and familiarise them with the method: ‘tune’ them in to Wallaby content if you like, coming as they are, out of the conclusion of their different state programmes from FxPro Super Rugby.”

Deans is not fazed by the unavailability of Queensland Reds players for the opening camp.

“It’s a win-win,” he says.

“If they advance to the semi-final and beyond, we have players gaining exposure to the highest level and, more importantly, the highest intensity of provincial rugby you can get. That’s great background for what’s coming in The Castrol EDGE Rugby Championship.”

The first Qantas Wallabies training squad ahead of the inaugural Castrol EDGE Rugby Championship is: Kurtley Beale (Melbourne Rebels), Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW Waratahs), Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs), Lachie Turner (NSW Waratahs), Nick Cummins (Western Force), Cooper Vuna (Melbourne Rebels), Rob Horne (NSW Waratahs), Mitch Inman (Melbourne Rebels), Pat McCabe (Brumbies), Bernard Foley (NSW Waratahs), Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs), Nick Phipps (Melbourne Rebels), Nic White (Brumbies), Ben Mowen (Brumbies), David Pocock (Western Force), Michael Hooper (Brumbies), Dave Dennis (NSW Waratahs), Kane Douglas (NSW Waratahs), Cadeyrn Neville (Melbourne Rebels), Hugh Pyle (Melbourne Rebels), Sitaleki Timani (NSW Waratahs), Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs), Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs), Ben Alexander (Brumbies), Paddy Ryan (NSW Waratahs), Stephen Moore (Brumbies), Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW Waratahs).

http://www.rugby.com.au/wallabies/Ne...1/Default.aspx

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    happy for Cumming Well deserved!!!!!

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Really pleased that Mitch Inman has been recognied as well.

I rated him when with the . Not so much when he left (only 'cos he left), but he's still done some very good things on the park.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    No Cheesy??

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    No Cheesy??
    looks likt they are running 2 whole teams. with no reds players named so expect to see Saia get the nod when the reds season comes to an end.

vCash
    Well done to the badger!...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Shame they wasted a spot on Vuna.

Well done the Honey Badger

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Really pleased for the HB - well deserved call up! He now has the opportunity to demonstrate first hand that he is a better option than Vuna.

On the downside, I am really miffed that "my boy" Nathan Charles has been overlooked yet again. I think he has done more than enough this season to show he is worthy of a call up to the initial training group at least.

I've been lobbying for the HB and Charles all season and was told by an ARU person on Twitter today that "one out of two isn't bad". What rubbish!!

Personally, I think it would be more accurate if the Qantas Wallabies were re-named the Qantas Waratahs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Personally, I think it would be more accurate if the Qantas Wallabies were re-named the Qantas Waratahs.
    Quite. Here's a breakdown of number of Super Rugby wins by each team this year, and number of palyers in the Wallaby training squad:

Brumbies: 10 wins, 6 players
    Tahs: 4 wins, 13 players
    Rebels: 4 wins, 6 players
    Force: 3 wins, 2 players

I'd say the Brumbies and Force were underrepresented and the Rebels and Tahs overrepresented

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Really pleased for the HB - well deserved call up! He now has the opportunity to demonstrate first hand that he is a better option than Vuna.

On the downside, I am really miffed that "my boy" Nathan Charles has been overlooked yet again. I think he has done more than enough this season to show he is worthy of a call up to the initial training group at least.

I've been lobbying for the HB and Charles all season and was told by an ARU person on Twitter today that "one out of two isn't bad". What rubbish!!

if that's lobbying, what happens when you are really emphatically demanding?

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Hurray to the honey badger but where's the cheese!

coz Stone Cold says so

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I thought they specifically asked Sharpie to hang around for this...?

Rookie
    vCash
    David Hookes was right when he described NSW cricket that when given the 'Baggy Blue' cap they were issued the 'Baggy Green' at the same time in a brown paper parcel. Not much different between the two sports.

There are not many Brumbies that missed out. Injured trio. Tomane, Lilo and Palmer. I would have liked to have seen Fotu given a go, but whats the point of being there when they will be discarded at the first opportunity.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I thought they specifically asked Sharpie to hang around for this...?
    He's effectively in the Squad Andy, just being rested from the training camp because he is an old bugger. Probably want him to get to the bottom of the back issue too.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.