Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Forlorn Force wait on Foley

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Forlorn Force wait on Foley

Nick Taylor,

The West AustralianJuly 23, 2012, 8:39 am

A desperate Western Force want Waratahs coach Michael Foley to accept a deal to lead the club for the next three years.

The former Wallabies hooker, who is still under contract with NSW, was made an offer after Heineken Cup-winning coach Michael Cheika decided against moving to Perth.

Cheika flew to Perth from Paris, where he had been coaching Stade Francais, for an interview.

The latest move puts Foley, who has a six-month "get-out" clause on his Tahs contract, in a particularly strong bargaining position.

However, he has a young family and the security of a solid three-year deal with the Force would be more attractive to him than the 12 months the Waratahs have on offer.

Foley, 45, a former Wallabies assistant coach, would not talk about the deal, worth around $300,000 a year, when contacted yesterday and the Force maintained their stand of not commenting until a signature was secured.

Foley's job at the Waratahs was on the line but a presentation to the club board three weeks ago secured his short-term future.

He initially ended discussions with the Force after talks with club chief executive Vern Reid some weeks ago in Sydney and an electronic link-up conference with members of the coaching selection panel.

Several senior players, including retired former captain Nathan Sharpe, are said to favour Foley, a meticulous coach who players say can gather a strong group around him.

The Force will be hoping that his reputation will keep star Wallabies flanker and captain David Pocock at the Force. His current contract ends in December and he has refused to commit to the club long-term despite having ample opportunity to do so.

The Force need a decision to end months of uncertainty and provide an indication they are on the right track after another horrible year.

They have been without a head coach for 16 weeks since Richard Graham threw the club into turmoil after he left for the Queens-land Reds.

If Foley accepts the offer, the Force will then need to look for a backs coach. They have re-signed forwards coach Nick Stiles.

Foley, who has led the Waratahs through a torrid season, played 50 Tests for Australia and made 111 appearances for Queensland.
    After retiring in 2001, he became forwards coach at UK club Bath, where he worked with Graham, went to the Wallabies and then became an assistant coach for the Waratahs under Chris Hickey before replacing him last year.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...wait-on-foley/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    If Foley accepts the offer I will be wearing my gold force away jersey next year in protest.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    WTF..... if its not bad enough having the eastern states wankers making a meal of this we now have read it from our own. If it were the Eagles the WA press would be putting a positive spin on it.

FFS Nick get a grip!!!!!!!

Just happy to be here

vCash
    You have to ask yourself why no one seems to want the Force coaches position. I seems a bit like the poisoned Chalice that no one wants.

Pros

1)WA is a fantastic place and has a great lifestyle.

2)The makings of a great team.

3)There is a passionate supporter base.

4)Plenty of up and coming talent (if you look).

5)The chance to make a name for yourself by taking us from the bottom of the Au conference to the top in your 3 year stint.

Cons

I don't know unless it RWA

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    If it were the Eagles the eastern states journos would be involving the 'drug culture' as to why we're still without a coach, and yes a few of them still do bring it up.

SNOB is spot on but the 3 reasons we can't attract a top coach are;

1) Player power - no one wants to coach a team when they can't be the coach
    2) RWA seem to be as competent as the Nazis in Hogans Heroes
    3) ARU are as competent as RWA

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    It is not a poisoned chalice - by definition that is something that looks appealing, but is actually lethal.
    The Force position appears instead to be a Siberian posting - something that those without options have to take (or are sent to when they have underperformed elsewhere....?)

vCash
    Just grab him while we got the chance, lets face it no other f**&^* wants the job !

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    ^^^^ sad but true

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    to be honest we could do a lot worse than foles.
    i wouldnt be upset if he signs

vCash
    FFS JUST SIGN LOUDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Just sign him....really??? So despite how many weeks of whatever process they've been going through, in the end you are cool that they somehow circumvent the whole thing yet again and offer the job to a bloke that didn't interview, never featured at any point in the exercise AND will almost certainly be replaced by our first choice. No suspicion anywhere that it all looks a little bit...can't decide on the word...directed, contrived, predetermined, maybe even fixed, certainly convenient (for some)...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    They could at least sell us on an exciting backs coach the Foley would bring with him.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Taylor View Post
    ...Foley...would not talk about the deal...and the Force maintained their stand of not commenting until a signature was secured. The Force need a decision to end months of uncertainty and provide an indication they are on the right track after another horrible year...Foley, who has led the Waratahs through a torrid season...he became forwards coach at UK club Bath, where he worked with Graham, went to the Wallabies and then became an assistant coach for the Waratahs under Chris Hickey
    Man oh man, WTF is going on. He was NEVER mentioned in dispatches as a possible coach despite every man and his dog printing some drivel.

So prey tell how is it an "indication the Force are on the right track after another horrible year" if they sign a bloke who just led the Tahrds to their worst ever season including worst ever consecutive losses with worst ever game plan that had their own fans booing DESPITE having a team choc full of wobblies?

And this guy has been a head coach for only this single annus horribilis. Note who he was under in previous two jobs. Brain Dead Dick Graham, the dumb ass foisted on us by JON in an effort to destabilise EWF (his only cunning plan that ever worked), and the universally reviled Chris Hickey - yes the "winning ugly" Hickey who was sacked by Tahrds.

For months this site has been swamped with threads and posts by informed and passionate supporters (and a few others like me hehe) offering 2c worth on just what type of coach it was IMPERATIVE to get. A coach who could inspire the troops, get the best out of them. With an attacking and attractive "WA inspired" game plan to lure the support back. Who could attract the best young talent with his credentials. Who had the maturity and experience to develop RWA, local rubgy and junior rugby to the point of supplying future players. Have I missed something? Guess what, the exact opposite to Foley!!

Whatever, Foley and his tenure at the Tahrds has been an even bigger farce than the Force this year with RGGate, GeniaGate and playing without a coach.

Ladies and gentlemen, its been an honour and a privilege sharing your passion and enthusiasm from First Day Out at Subi, to being and inaugural member, to not missing a single game in the #SeaOfBlue over seven seasons 2006-2012. I fully understand your "stick with them no matter what" mentality, its what makes you so truly unique and special. Unfortunately if the EWFHQ has truly made this offer to Foley, it shatters me to say that I will no longer be able to maintain that level of support.

Au revoir mes frères...Au revoir mes sœurs...Au revoir mes amis

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    at this point in time bison, i'd take winning ugly.

seeing as winning ugly is still winning

vCash
    bisson I just hope it doesn't come to that.
    We still need people like you that have the passion.
    IF we do get Foley I think a lot of us will be disappointed but it's starting to sound as though we will have to take who ever's available now.
    If it was down to me I would be going to Mitch, cap in hand and ask him to come back as the coach we need.

May the FORCE be with you!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast