Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GODWIN RECOMMITS TO EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

GODWIN RECOMMITS TO EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE

EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
    Tuesday, 14 August 2012

The Emirates Western Force has re-signed rising playmaker Kyle Godwin for the 2013 and 2014 FxPro Super Rugby seasons.

Godwin is the first player to be recruited or re-signed since Michael Foley was appointed to head the rugby program for 2013.

The local Aquinas College product made his FxPro Super Rugby debut against the Reds in Perth this season before holding down the starting flyhalf role for the Australian Under 20 side at the IRB Junior World Championship in South Africa.

The 20-year-old returned to record a second FxPro Super Rugby cap off the bench against the Crusaders in the final week of the competition, scoring his maiden provincial try in a polished performance in the playmaking role.

Zimbabwe-born Godwin says he’s looking forward to continuing his rugby development with the Emirates Western Force.

“Being home-grown and having been part of the Force for the past few years, I wanted to stay and continue going forward with them,” the former Australian Schoolboy said.

“I really enjoyed my first taste of Super Rugby this year. I was very grateful for having the opportunity and I’m keen to keep training hard, keep learning, and trying to develop my game to get some more game time next year.

“Michael [Foley] said he’s very keen to help me develop my game and help me become the best player I can possibly be, and hopefully with that will come some more opportunities.

“Michael’s already shown he’s looking to make a few changes and freshen things up and I think it’ll be very good for the team.”

Foley says Godwin’s re-signing represents the future direction of the Emirates Western Force.

“I’m extremely pleased to have Kyle recommit with the Emirates Western Force,” he said. “He showed great promise this year, both with the Australian Under 20 side and with his opportunities at Super Rugby level.

“Our priority is to sign young and exciting talent – and Kyle certainly fits that mould. If we’re serious about relaunching the side, we need to be identifying and recruiting the best young talent and looking to develop them over the next few years.

“Kyle was sought after by other provinces and it’s a great endorsement for us that’s he keen to stay; and with his skill and dedication over the next two years there’s no doubt he’ll be looking to become a regular fixture at the provincial level.

“While he’s a young up-and-coming player, this is a significant signing in that it reflects our desire to continue working with the entire WA rugby family and it’s testament to the potential that exists for young players in our local community.”

Name: Kyle Godwin
    Born: 30/07/1992
    Position: Flyhalf
    Height: 187cm
    Weight: 87kg
    Representative Rugby: 2012 Australian Under 20, 2009 Australian Schoolboys

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Rookie
    vCash
    Hell yeah!
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Not totally unexpected, however, most importantly a good local young one being signed to the cause.

Welcome on board Kyle, look forward to watching you grow as aplayer over the next few years and hopefully beyond.

With Ebersohn and Godwin we have two young playmakers to start creating a decent back line around. (gee Harvey looks an absolute waste now for next year, but looking at our past three 10's may not be a bad thing, insurance wise that is)

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Good stuff Kyle! Can't wait to see you playing in the Blue again next season!! I think we may just see a star being born.

vCash
    Good News!
    Just what we need. A local lad with style and talent. Lets hope he can go all the way.
    Good Luck Kyle.

May the FORCE be with you!

Senior Player Contributor DarthMoose's Avatar
    vCash
    Great news.

vCash
    A good signing. He needs to work on his kicking - both distance and accuracy. Some work on when to kick and when not to would also be highly recommended.

vCash
    Fantastic news

Champion
    vCash

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Great news! I hope he can step up and put his potential on the park consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Harvey looks an absolute waste now for next year, but looking at our past three 10's may not be a bad thing, insurance wise that is)
    Insurance around the playmaker position is vital as has been seen year after year from the oz teams.

Incidentally I had a good chat to Harvey at the force awards night and he is really nice fella. He said he is just happy to be playing rugby. I'd had a few at the time so can't recall too many details about what we spoke about though...I for one am happy he signed on - I feel we have sufficient cover at 10 (for the first time since year one).

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    Great news and good "vision" from the new regime

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    gee Harvey looks an absolute waste now for next year, but looking at our past three 10's may not be a bad thing, insurance wise that is
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold View Post
    Insurance around the playmaker position is vital as has been seen year after year from the oz teams.

Incidentally I had a good chat to Harvey at the force awards night and he is really nice fella. He said he is just happy to be playing rugby. I'd had a few at the time so can't recall too many details about what we spoke about though...I for one am happy he signed on - I feel we have sufficient cover at 10 (for the first time since year one).
    Agree with Stone Cold on this - Harvey seems a bright lad and hopefully will be looking for his career after rugby (even if he's only 30) - he's a decent kicker and if he can pass some of what he's learned on, plus provide an experienced head to turn to and extra cover for 10/15 he's a decent player to have in the 30.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Onya Kyle.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Personally I don't think Harveys a super rugby standard player and with Godwin, Ebersohn, Seymour and Two dads all ahead of him he does look excess to requirements. What we need is a 9 (hopefully Matthewson or Sarel Pretorious who if we get needs the NSW shackles removed) a lock and some seriously fast wingers. All other positions looked covered.
    Congrats Kyle.

vCash
    Personally I don't think Harveys a super rugby standard player and with Godwin, Ebersohn, Seymour and Two dads all ahead of him he does look excess to requirements. What we need is a 9 (hopefully Matthewson or Sarel Pretorious who if we get needs the NSW shackles removed) a lock and some seriously fast wingers. All other positions looked covered.
    Congrats Kyle.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast