Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How to grow more home grown stars?

Prospect
    vCash
    I am pretty familiar with the academy structure and while some of the boys have been doing very well, I still believe the the overall player being produced from the academies is not up to the standard of the eastern states.

Last year it was fantastic to have 11 players involved in the Australian Schools Program over the 2 teams that display will be a one off though unless things change, which is unfortunate.

I agree that the 16's coming through look strong and powerful, at home and in the regional trials the test will be at the national championships.

As has been previously stated education is the key, there is no reason that RugbyWA can't run strength and conditioning workshops/camps in conjunction with the skills camps that already run. Lets educate them in the fantastic new state of the art facility that we have there.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by oddz87; 22-08-12 at 14:44.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    First - Very Good job coaching State SB last year oddz87. - and Correct me if I’m wrong, our 2011 SB representation in the Australia and Aust 'A' teams was our best effort to date. One in Aust side and Five in the 'A' side. However 2012 was possibly our worst SB performance in recent times.

Why was this? 1) You weren't at the helm? 2) Due to our small player base, we will be inconsistent on a national level? 3) Is the Academy intake is too small? Or 4) We need a 2nd tier S&C program.

As you mention oddz87, the boys are not prepared to compete on a national level, you might have a handful of Academy boys who have been doing pretty good S&C for a while and the others have been chucking around an Olympic bar with very little guidance; at best. I really think the Clubs need to, Pull Finger and take a bigger responsibility when it comes to S&C for our U16s and 18s and not solely rely on the Academy when it comes to the 2nd Tier lads.

Who knows.......? In regards to the Academy; there are 15 level 2s & 3s and 18 level 1s. That’s a total of 33 WA Academy Squad Members, and of those 15 in level 2 & 3; 9 of them are in the “National Gold Squad”, which is the Wallabies Academy for talented 16 to 18 year olds.

You know, it's not all doom & gloom up there at the Academy, some of the boys are doing really well. Adjusting and tinkering is always worthwhile if done right, and systems can always be improved.

You keep an eye on this years Under 16's squad for SBs next year, they have they size, power and speed across the board, they are a special bunch, and will be one of WA's best sides to date.

http://www.westernforce.com.au/Team/...GoldSquad.aspx
    Very well said Pacman. The clubs do need to more and a couple are. To rely on rugbywa to develop your players is not going to happen. The strain that having to travel to the academy 4 times a week from October through to April is a huge ask on anyone especially as most of these kids live in the outer suburbs. They are getting into year 11 and 12 as well which also adds to the burden.

It will take a dedicated few who will get it going in some clubs hopefully it will lead the way for other clubs to follow. Southern Lions are in the process of getting an academy setup going starting in October. This will include Gym equipment, and professional sports physioligist, and trainers. Programs developed for u/14's through to u/18's aimed soley at strength and conditioning.

The other benefit is that you will also have a better chance at keeping these kids involed with the game and connected to your club. Win Win

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    I'd still pit Horan and Little against Nonu and SBW any day, look at the skills of the springbok back 3, besides Habana, I doubt the others are even close to 90Kgs.

I think we focus a bit too much on bulk and IMHO not enough on brain....
    Case in point - Hurricane's/AB Conrad Smith. Height 1.86 m (6 ft 1 in) Weight 95 kg (14 st 13 lb) Not the bulkiest player, but one of smartest readers of the game - damn him! What we'd give to have that in the Force/Wallabies back line.

vCash
    Shane Williams did alright for one of the world’s premier Wings at 1.70m 80kg & IRB Int' Player of the Year 2008.

It is nice though, for one of your Centres and Wingers to have the stature of a Flanker to shift bodies off the ball in Defence and draw a little xtra attention on Attack.

I would actually love to see a bloke with his ticker, energy and character within the Force setup. I think someone like him would tell, the likes of Snap-Back-Boy to, Put his needle & tread down, pick up a rugby ball and hit the odd tackle bag just a little more often.

Rookie
    vCash
    Pound for pound, you'd struggle to match the output and attitude of Grant Batty, all black winger in the 70's.

"Grant Bernard Batty (born 31 August 1951 in Greytown, New Zealand) is a former rugby union footballer. A diminutive but effective wing for the All Blacks, he has also coached Yamaha Jubilo, a team in Japan's Top League. His son Sam Batty played halfback for the Gold Coast Breakers, However is now playing for Port Douglas, in the Cairns and district rugby union competition. Batty won the New Zealand Superstars competition three years running, 1977–1979."

"Pound for pound, Batty might just edge Cullen as the strongest All Black of all time. Despite standing only 1.65m, the livewire wing never backed down to anyone, including the likes of former Bok captain Morné du Plessis (1.96m)."

Different era now but always good reminiscing.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    played against grant Batty at schoolboy level,he was a half back until he left school
    shit,he was quick!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    played against grant Batty at schoolboy level,he was a half back until he left school
    shit,he was quick!
    Read ; "Played against Grant Batty in All Black trials"

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Read ; "Played against Grant Batty in All Black trials"
    I believe the NZRU lost my telephone number,otherwise you would have been correct TIF

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    I believe the NZRU lost my telephone number,otherwise you would have been correct TIF
    They didn't lose it, someone from Neddies called looking for it

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    They didn't lose it, someone from Neddies called looking for it
    Not him again

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    "Southern Lions are in the process of getting an academy setup going starting in October. This will include Gym equipment, and professional sports physioligist, and trainers. Programs developed for u/14's through to u/18's aimed soley at strength and conditioning."

Training them up ready for Wests to pounce on them!

Go Neddies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    "Southern Lions are in the process of getting an academy setup going starting in October. This will include Gym equipment, and professional sports physioligist, and trainers. Programs developed for u/14's through to u/18's aimed soley at strength and conditioning."

Go Neddies.
    I was talking actually to someone down at Wests the other day about a couple of issues here, the success rate of the Aranmore connection - how many players it really produces, and we came to the conclusion that the straight out poaching option has been a cheaper, and more successful go for Wests.

On the academy - there seem to be number of academies around the place, I'm not sure what it is all about. One club that boasts an academy, touted the fact that one team started training in November. There was no perceivable difference this year. I suppose it has to be run correctly, and the correct people need to be in charge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post

Go Neddies.
    Or Paly.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

Champion
    vCash
    Personally I am yet to be convinced an "academy" per se is a good idea.

Guys have just played 20 plus weeks of Rugby - give them a break. I have seen so many talented young players just get burnt out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    Personally I am yet to be convinced an "academy" per se is a good idea.

Guys have just played 20 plus weeks of Rugby - give them a break. I have seen so many talented young players just get burnt out.
    You're right to a certain degree, but I think the term Academy is taken out of context, I'd suggest look at it as more of an Off-season Strength n Conditioning Program with variety and running second to there summer sport or whatever.

On the amount of games played Hansie, the average rugby playing 15yr old in Perth plays 14 round robin games and then finals if they're lucky. chuck in a couple of forfeits and also being sick/injuried and some kids don't taste double figures.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast