Thread: Taranaki retain shield in high scoring hitout

vCash

Taranaki retain shield in high scoring hitout

Champagne provisional rugby on display while the ARU continues to grope around in the dark. Here's the light switch ARU, its called the ARC. But you knew that already, right?

Published: 9:43PM Saturday September 01, 2012 Source: ONE Sport

Those that thought the key to retaining the Ranfurly Shield was staunch defence and a lack of flashy play were forced to think again tonight as Taranaki held off the challenge of Tasman in a remarkable 49-40 win in New Plymouth.

It was a shield challenge like no other as a total of 89 points and 10 tries were scored in a game that saw Tasman contest strongly right until the dying stages.

For those who missed it, recommended viewing..

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The possession of the log o' wood has been contested for more than 100 years. The conditions under which those contests have been fought have evolved over time and the underlying structures under which NZ Rugby has thrived have evolved alongside.

You can't just "invent" a similar structure no matter how much money you throw at it. IMO the ARC was an expensive busted arse. Australian Rugby needs to find it's own way forward - one that's sustainable.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Agreed that we won't have an move standard comp in 15 minutes Shasta, but sure as eggs, we will never get one if we don't make a start.

And I AM aware that it will run at a loss, possibly for many years, sack nucifora and use the existing hpu funding to cover it
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    The possession of the log o' wood has been contested for more than 100 years. The conditions under which those contests have been fought have evolved over time and the underlying structures under which NZ Rugby has thrived have evolved alongside.

You can't just "invent" a similar structure no matter how much money you throw at it. IMO the ARC was an expensive busted arse. Australian Rugby needs to find it's own way forward - one that's sustainable.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Hooley dooley Shasta..didn't take you to be one for such gobbledygook..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Why, because he disagreed with your opinion? I don't think anybody on TWF disagrees with the need for a genuine 3rd tier comp but the fact of the matter is they screwed it up with ARC - if they had got it right to begin with we might not be having this discussion now. Do I know what the best model is? No, I don't I don't think anyone on here does. I'm sure there are smarter people with more knowledge of all the issues involved that the ARU could utilise to come up with something or, failing that, do what soccer did and commission outside people to do it. Do I have faith in the current ARU administration to do that? Not really.

vCash
    Go the "Naki.
    Great game from both sides but glaring defence issues from both also.
    Your right Shasta, the Log 'o Wood has always generated great interest in NZ Rugby.
    I can remember the parades in town on the Shield Challenge days, and the large crowds at the matches.
    There have been many changes to competitions in NZ and all have worked fairly well, but the Ranfurly Shield is a constant, and still means so much to so many players and supporters.
    Maybe one day Oz will have the constant stream of quality players evolving from a strong national competition.
    But for now, I believe there is not the interest to have a national comp. from the clowns in the East, as they believe the Shute Shield is that competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Why, because he disagreed with your opinion? a
    Not really, like to think I'm not that sensitive. I simply don't understand the point being made.

Australia does need to find a model that works for it..agreed. Call it APC or otherwise, I believe it has to be a provisional competition that can effectively draw the talent from all corners and encourage grassroot participation country-wide.

That's my premise and any model that's not reflective of that very basic notion will be half baked. Happy to be proved wrong.

I'm not suggesting that Australia replicate what the Kiwis or Saffers have - I'm might be a tad naive but that's just insulting - I'm merely advocating for the ARU to show its hand sooner rather than later, you've got to start somewhere.

In the meantime, we shall continue to watch the exciting brand of rugby on show across the Tasman (and its not just for the Ranfurly Shield) and wallow in our neverending empty rhetoric.

vCash
    The first bit was a little "Sir Humphrey". In my defence, I'd just finished night shift.

Still the ARC was ill concieved. Nobody in NSW or Qld really connected with the teams - doomed.
    The way forward to involve the EPS/Academy players from the current Super franchises. But someone first needs to reign in Nucifora and re-establish the state based academies.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Champagne provisional rugby on display while the ARU continues to grope around in the dark. Here's the light switch ARU, its called the ARC. But you knew that already, right?

Published: 9:43PM Saturday September 01, 2012 Source: ONE Sport

Those that thought the key to retaining the Ranfurly Shield was staunch defence and a lack of flashy play were forced to think again tonight as Taranaki held off the challenge of Tasman in a remarkable 49-40 win in New Plymouth.

It was a shield challenge like no other as a total of 89 points and 10 tries were scored in a game that saw Tasman contest strongly right until the dying stages.

For those who missed it, recommended viewing..
    Watched that match and what entertaining rugby!

There's no easy answers for a "national" 3rd tier competition. The ARC financial model failed spectacularly but it also divided the rugby communities across the country. There was resentment that the state based teams undermined the strong Queensland and NSW club competitions and that mindset still exists today to a large degree. You've just got to read other forums/news media to see comments like this on Green and Gold Rugby:

“ ..the established premier grade competitions in Sydney and Brisbane are the recognised 3rd tier in Australian Rugby, and rightfully so as younger and established semi-pro players play against Super rugby professionals when the season finishes (and during the test windows)..”

This isn't anti Eastern States (Tic/Toc..) but while NSW and Qld drive the ARU, there's little incentive for them to do anything that would interfere with their very successful Premiership Comps, the current structures/funding/2 centralised Super Academies etc. We can watch with interest to see if the Rugby Union Players Association (RUPA) recommendation for a cricket-style review of the ARU's high performance program, but that's all down to the ARU's reaction to it, booting Nucifora out etc, but don't hold your breath..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Do I have faith in the current ARU administration to do that?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

vCash
    Waiting for the ARU to do anything is an exercise in frustration - particulalry in relation to a national competition. Nucifora's comments on the Rugby Club pretty much summed up the current position of the national body on the subject ie club rugby is just fine. It is pretty obvious that this isn't the case - even the 'mighty' Shute Shield in in trouble. They haven't had a sponsor in two years, the ABC is apparently not going to telecast games anymore and Randwick is in financial difficulty - if you can believe everything you read....

We desperately need a national competition - it is that simple. Decide on a structure, find the money and GET IT DONE.

Rookie
    vCash
    I'd like to see the Tasman skills coach at the Force next year.Never before have I seen a team of nobodies pass and catch like that.With the players we have,coached to Tasman's skill level and attitude the Force would be sensational to watch.Their defence coach can stay in NZ though

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    After wartching half a dozen or so ITM matches this year, i reckon the 2012 Force team would have trouble beating most of the top ITM teams.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    After wartching half a dozen or so ITM matches this year, i reckon the 2012 Force team would have trouble beating most of the top ITM teams.
    A great deal of trouble...