vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chertubler View Post
    Rocky playing neddies at foreshore
    Lambs to the slaughter!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash

The little players

Any news on junior numbers following registration day? Heard that Curtin now have teams under 6 to under 11, great result second season in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    How's life without Pete Simpkins down there? That man deserves a brake I tell ya ... !
    The new Junior president Graham is doing a great job and is very enthusiastic and likeable. The biggest impact has been it took a while to find a coach for his U/16s who are now U/18s but this has been resolved recently. Pete hasn't been down to the club since he hurt his knee walking to his car after the Xmas party. His new job is keeping him away too. I expect we'll see more of him when the games start.
    Kala was supposed to play Wanneroo this Friday night the 8th but apparently Wanneroo haved pulled out because they wanted to switch to Saturday and things broke down there but there is a game between 3rd grade v Wanneroo still.
    We had 55 at seniors training tonight which is encouraging.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    I am surprised (naive I maybe) at the suggestion that kids are leaving a club they have played for since being little lads to move to another club for what ever reason.
    Maybe a little naive. Not all of them do, but if clubs decide the best way to develop players is to put them into a team run by one of the players' dad's who's ideas and playing career are/were firmly rooted in the seventies, then some vote with their feet. Clubs just don't seem to get that a key factor with 18s who "jump ship" is based on the coach they want to play for.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I heard Nedlands and Soaks were getting good senior numbers at training. Around the 100 - 120 mark. Uni haven't been far behind. Don't know about Cottesloe.

vCash
    I have heard that Nedlands have had a massive influx of fresh Kiwi's down at the foreshore this year... I have watched both Baysie and Palmyra training from a distance and both had similar numbers training in the senior group, about 50-70 players. Palmyra had a good number of Under 20's i believe they were training seperate, they looked quite impressive actually! Then i got distracted by the touch rugby for a little bit and continued on my run... Wests apparently have around 60 players training regularly, but have a few injuries to key players in their first grade squad. Might go watch the Wests vs Uni trial this week, should be a good hitout

vCash
    Taking the binoculars and notebook with you, goony?

My inside sauce at Soaks is missing this year - working abroad.

vCash
    it's great having an iPhone on you when you are running around these venues :p no i'm not interested in getting involved too much this year, think i will be playing spectator more than anything

vCash

Southern Suburbs 18s

Lions and Pirates 18's played 4 x 20s today. Some free flowing runs, good defence and fitness levels were good from both squads with around 7 tries scored.

Very good viewing!!

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    We're not that interested in district clubs.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Bawk bawk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralto View Post
    Maybe a little naive. Not all of them do, but if clubs decide the best way to develop players is to put them into a team run by one of the players' dad's who's ideas and playing career are/were firmly rooted in the seventies, then some vote with their feet. Clubs just don't seem to get that a key factor with 18s who "jump ship" is based on the coach they want to play for.
    My son in law in the UK was the coach for the under 6's and is now the coach for the under12's and has pretty much kept the same kids all the way through.
    Is it not the same here? And if not why not?

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    When my young feller was playing it was usually one of the dads (or a mum for a few years) who coached the youngest grades, but at about 14s the club seemed to have the same coach for each grade (within reason, sometimes they would shuffle around, one guy would move on etc)

I don't think this was particularly planned, the club was always desperate for junior coaches, I think from 14 there were blokes there who knew how important it was for the club to have a coordinated pathway to prems for their kids.

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Alright, a few of you have had half hearted and misinformed goes at commenting on the state of play in clubland.

Here's the truth:

Neddies

Have imported big time (including pilfering from other local clubs) and will start the season as hot favourites just through their depth as much as anything else. No under 18's and big question marks as to whether their under 20's are sustainable. Will rely on imports to staff senior grades in future years as senior players in the mid to lower ranks are getting close to their Use By dates and Nedlands juniors have almost faded to nothing.

Well managed club (even without Hansie!) and lotsa volunteers so their medium term future is good.

Top 2 finish in Premier Grade (and 2nds and 3rds).

Uni

Cashed up and prepared to throw money, cars, accommodation or a subsidised education at anything in boots and particularly if it has an irish accent or is a Colt from another club. Would love to know the truth about their player costs - estimated at $120K plus. If their mercenary army manages to not desert mid season they should finish say 4th or 5th. No chance of making the GF. The Carlisles seem to handled the transition from Baysie to Uni okay. The stab wounds appear to have healed!

UWA are charging them ground fees for the 1st time so should make them pull their heads in just a wee bit.

The power behind Uni is their men behind the scenes - good old boys network despite their up front management appearing to be a rabble.

PS Happy St Pats day for half the Uni playing group!

Wests

An era of renewal begins. Free from the spiders web otherwise known as the City of Subiaco, the soccer club and its line-marking, they can breath again.

Quite a few new players and more engagement from Force players - won't set the world on fire this year - will finish somewhere between 4th and 6th.

A few teething problems in colts grades but should settle down in years to come.

Good juniors and the future looks bright.

Soaks

Old money and lots of it - have imported strategically and spent their money wisely. Have deviated ever so slightly from the White Only policy which is a big risk for the club. Good coaching structure and good club management should see them through to a top 3 finish.

In the firing line from the PSA situation and struggling to get an under 18 team together. Touch and go.

Wanneroo

Still deluded into thinking that money can buy you a premiership. Frank throwing lots of money around and as is the tradition, will start with a flurry and fade to a bottom half finish. Prediction 6th or 7th.

If your army is recruited from mercenaries then there can only be one outcome.

The key to Wanneroos success is how many of their last years under 20's have been retained and will be playing in their 2nds this year. Wanneroos archilles heel has always been its lack of depth, their 2nd grade has not been good enough to back up their 1sts.

Wanneroo have recruited strongly in the juniors including a number of raids on Baysie.

Baysie

Victims of Wanneroo raids, lack of cash, ordinary management and shortage of volunteers - could get ugly. Will finish 9th after already wobbly wheels fall off.

Juniors won't be the force they have been.

Kalamunda

Some of their stalwarts have walked away, cash is tight and volunteers almost non existent augers for a fairly ugly second half of the season. A concerted effort in the off season to buy in players with money they don't really have.

Still hanging on to memories of their 2008 premiership but most in the club weren't in the country then so waste of time.

Fast becoming the next basket case in WA clubland. Juniors and colts grades suffering.

Will start with a flurry before the glue fails and it will turn to mud. Prediction 8th.

Pally

Steady as she goes - no major imports and good numbers in juniors. Should go okay, should finish somewhere between 3rd to 5th spot.

Well managed club and good volunteer base, suffers marginally from the PSA situation .

Rocky

Good increase in juniors registrations indicates the club is recovering from the Kwinana breakaway situation. Struggling to find enough junior coaches and volunteers generally which will hold the club back. Solve this problem and there's a bright future down there.

Seniors - another really tough year cannot be avoided. Will be a few highlights but will probably add another wooden spoon to the collection.

Cott

The beginning of the end. Charlie and Bob will continue to throw money at imports to keep the club competitive, no under 18's and their last year of under 20's. Very poor junior numbers. Stalwarts getting tired and so are their wallets.

Will probably finish top 4 this year but would not take much to fall back into lower half. You can only be so arrogant before it catches up to you.

The most successful Cott team in 2013 will be their womens team.

Cott juniors have degenerated into a bit of a mickey mouse operation.

Medium to long term future is bleak - suspect they won't exist in 10 years time.

There you have it. Had to type quickly before TG bans me again.

Last edited by RumourMonger; 17-03-13 at 14:44.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Bit early with April Fools Day ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast