Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Last Club Trials

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Very interesting.

He is by no means an inexperienced ref. He is, however, a very low tolerance ref, as many teams found out last year. The value of players learning the tolerance levels of a ref very early in the game seem to have been lost in this pre-season fixture, by the looks of these posts.
    There were 2 referees controlling prems with both having vastly differing styles and interpretations.

Of the 2 refs it was the younger one who issued the red card.

The whole ruck/breakdown area was a free for all with no regard for offside lines, hands in the ruck, sealing off, or staying on feet. Also arriving players who have rightfully earnt a pilfer being penalised for doing so. No regard for offside lines in general play either. Just a poorly managed game which was hard to watch and harder to play in due to the lottery which was the refs on the day.
    Both teams were affected not just Kala.

Still, early days. The standard of everything will get better.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Remember Hugh and his dog?the dog was quite good.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Are you Korean, BDGF?

vCash
    nothing like BBQ'd dog,Fulvio

Rookie
    vCash
    I think it would be fair to say that at this pre-season moment and with the trial format, teams are probably having some refs that wouldn't normally / regularly have been reffing to the grade they are doing in trials. Consequently at times I'm sure there will be some frustration with apparent inconsistency. This will require players to adapt quickly to interpretation, and as Ecky says this isn't necessarily a strength of teams at this point of the season. I have seen this for myself, where players are not seeming to want to understand or listen or adapt to the refs 'interpretation' or explanation, but rather continue with their previous penalised actions because they have it in their minds that they are ok. Definition of insanity being ...blah blah blah.

Champion
    vCash
    All we want is consistency

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    You haven't seen or played many games in WA, have you Kala Fan?
    I have mate and I stand by my comment

GRAB YOUR MATE!

vCash
    In that case you must be as blind as the refs

vCash
    Have the clubs been advised about how the referees are instructed to control the ruck and maul this season? if not perhaps it is them that are being naive. Fairly easy to remember, get there before the ruck and go for the ball, if you get cleaned out, you lose, if you survive you win, if you lose the first time you can't go in for a second go.

I find a lot of spectators and players (at all levels and locations) don't quite understand this area fully yet themselves.

Player
    vCash
    Watched the kala /rocky game did'nt think the younger ref who looked after prems game was too bad players from both sides were entering from all angles and ref called most correctly.saw the card incident looked like he got a yellow the mouthed off got a red then walked and mouthed off again walked a bit more turned and mouthed again. The older ref needs to hang up the whistle he could not keep up with play a few years ago and has now got to the state that players safety could be a issue due to his age well done thanks for your time but you are too old

vCash
    Haha - singular; Classic!

Freudian slip?

vCash
    It seems this thread has come down to discussion of refereeing in the WA Metro Competition.

Now as a player and supporter I can get frustrated like crazy, I recall being yellowed for decent years ago. Was young and just didn't keep my mouth shut I guess!

When it comes down to it during a game it is up to the Captain and the Referee to sort issues out. The Captains, by all rights, are allowed to discuss how the Ref expects certain situations to unfold on the field. If the Ref cannot be swayed at all in is matter it is then up to the Cap to inform his team how to play certain situations.

If a penalty occurs on field that a player doesn't support he needs to go to his Cap and tell him, most the time the Cap will probably feel the same. If so he must approach the Ref and come to some sort of compromise so as for it not to happen again.

The only thing that a Ref really needs to do during a game is be consistent with both teams. He cannot play certain situations one way for a team and other situations another for the opposing team! It is all about consistency for a Referee.

That being said a start Cap and his team will figure out how to play the Ref as well as the opposition! Rugby isn't a thug game, it is a thinking game as well.

Lets hope that for the first couple of rounds we start getting the consistency!

I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2