Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Force prepare to launch another raid on Reds

vCash

Force prepare to launch another raid on Reds

The Western Force are set to make a mini-raid on the Queensland Reds as the Super Rugby club looks to build its stocks for next season.

They are confident of signing outside back Luke Morahan and hooker James Hanson from the Brisbane club this week.

Morahan, a single-Test Wallaby and Sevens representative, has been competing with Rod Davies and Dom Shipperley for a wing spot this season.

Hanson, a mobile hooker with a high work rate who made his Reds debut three years ago, has also made one Wallabies appearance.

The Force tried to sign Hanson in 2012 but he decided to stay with the Reds for another year despite facing the prospect of being behind Wallabies hooker Saia Faingaa.

The Force are after another second-rower and had talks with the Reds' Rob Simmons, but he will stay in Queensland despite interest from the Melbourne Rebels.

The Force hope to re-sign Hugh McMeniman who is Australia's best performing second-rower this season.

They are also on the hunt for a game-breaking outside centre.

Grabbing Morahan and Hanson will no doubt anger Queenslanders who have still not forgotten the infamous Force 2005 poaching of the Reds playing stocks that saw a string of players follow Nathan Sharpe to the new club.

�The Melbourne Rebels' run of five defeats could claim more casualties with the future of coach Damien Hill in doubt.

The Rebels arrived in Perth yesterday after a winless South African tour, which included a record 10-try defeat and the sending home of Wallabies Kurtley Beale and Cooper Vuna for an altercation

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...-raid-on-reds/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    I hate reading these articles. Yeah I know that the writer is just doing his job but the last few time I have seen similar media reports it has blown up in our faces in a big way.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    I just love the fact the eastern clubs get Perth on their return leg of the S.A. tour, thats smart logistics, unlike our start to the season!

vCash
    Two great additions to the squad if we can get them. Good to hear we are targeting a quality outside centre. We only need a couple of players and we will climb that ladder!
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying 14 View Post
    Two great additions to the squad if we can get them. Good to hear we are targeting a quality outside centre. We only need a couple of players and we will climb that ladder!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Only issue is there arnt may (if any) quality 13 in Aus.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying 14 View Post
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Depends how much we have to pay for Hanson. Morahan would be a good addition, but our forward pack is already pretty good and with a string of hookers like Charles, Tessman & Whittaker do we need Hanson if we have to pay over the odds for him?

Lookign at where we need to upgrade positions for next year, for me, is:

Prop (Ma'afu leaving, and he should get on the plane now, if you ask me)
    Lock (unless one of Wykes, Lynn and Battye nail the position alongside McMeniman - who I hope stays)
    Outside Centre (although agree with both Flying 14 & Gaffa - Australia doesn't have much depth there - I presume that's why Stanley gets so much time, to grow into the role)
    Wing/Full Back (if Mafi leaves or Norton-Knight can't step-up)

Morahan and/or Mike Harris would instantly upgrade the backs (as will playing together for a season and not a complete overhaul each year!) and if Honey Badger can nail one wing or outside centre we'd have a great back-line.

But for me, part of the problem is mental. We can put this year down to rebuilding a team under a new coach, but we've made a habit of losing close games and the new coaches and players don't seem to have changed that. Everyone may say that the old "close is good enough" mind-set has been dispelled, but so far this year the score-board says it's still there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCLE BOOG View Post
    I just love the fact the eastern clubs get Perth on their return leg of the S.A. tour, thats smart logistics, unlike our start to the season!
    Did you want to play in a stadium that wasn't finished?
    We asked for the fixtures we got to allow for the completion of the stand
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Did you want to play in a stadium that wasn't finished?
    We asked for the fixtures we got to allow for the completion of the stand
    Posted via Mobile Device
    was that the case?! I was unaware. my bad.

vCash
    Sheikh..quote"
    ....But for me, part of the problem is mental. We can put this year down to rebuilding a team under a new coach, but we've made a habit of losing close games and the new coaches and players don't seem to have changed that. Everyone may say that the old "close is good enough" mind-set has been dispelled, but so far this year the score-board says it's still there. .....

That is more or less exactly what I said in my Force video....

vCash
    Morahan is far from been quality outside centre, nearly everyone of his caps has been on the wing or fullback..
    I've been slightly disappointed in his progress after showing so much promise early on, he has arguably fallen behind Shipperly and CFS at the Reds, it would do him well to move somewhere he can get more game-time.

Hanson on the other hand is a quality hooker and it would be a loss for the Reds if he left considering there aren't any other hookers on the book apart from saia.
    Posted via Mobile Device

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Lookign at where we need to upgrade positions for next year, for me, is:

Prop (Ma'afu leaving, and he should get on the plane now, if you ask me)
    Bring up Manu to the main roster - he tore it up when given a chance last year.

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCLE BOOG View Post
    was that the case?! I was unaware. my bad.
    I just reread my post and realised how arrogant i sounded.
    Sorry UB wasn't meaning to be a prick
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    There aren't a lot of quality 13s going around in Australia at the moment. Makes you wonder if anyone overseas would be interested in coming back but can't really think of anyone who would fit the bill.

So maybe it would be worth moving Cummins back to 13 as someone suggested somewhere here. Mafi and Rasolea to the wings and either Dellit or SNK at fullback.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    There aren't a lot of quality 13s going around in Australia at the moment. Makes you wonder if anyone overseas would be interested in coming back but can't really think of anyone who would fit the bill.

So maybe it would be worth moving Cummins back to 13 as someone suggested somewhere here. Mafi and Rasolea to the wings and either Dellit or SNK at fullback.
    When is the badger expected back ?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    I just reread my post and realised how arrogant i sounded.
    Sorry UB wasn't meaning to be a prick
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Well done Jono I was about to rip you a new one when I saw this post, takes a big man to apologise.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast