Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Western Force Team named for game v Reds

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    My first instinct is to scream don't kick the ball to them, with Cooper and Shipperley running at them in counterattack it could be disastrous. If it hadn't been for the fact that they kicked it to Israel Dagg all night and shut him down nicely I would still be kent to do that, but it appears that is a strategy which might just work.

Can't for the life of me figure out how though!
    I agree, Gigs - they did have a good kick-chase against the Crusaders, and actually wasn't that bad against the 'Canes. The 'Canes try that came out of a counterattack was largely because one of the backrowers in the defensive line fell over, and the runner went through his gap. So, they CAN do it. Kicking needs to be good - no meatballs into QC, Digby and Shipperly's lap that they can organize around and return.

Perhaps Foley has conceded that, for this game, there's no way they're going to successfully attack through them, so just put it over and behind them, chase like hell, play good strong D, and kick your goals. And with two legit fetchers in the backrow, it looks like they're going to be pressuring that area (and Genia) as well.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nipper View Post
    Wondering what the hell CTM did, to not even get a sniff of a spot in the 22 (ever).

If he's injured, so be it. If not, why isn't he getting a run to see what he can do? If he's not injured, that's somewhat of a strong message (read, slap in the face) to have Jacobs brought in, isn't it?
    Rumour has it that CTM is just not good enough....

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Gigs I can't agree with your summary and the rating of their forwards, sia is not a test level hooker but he is a good player and generally causes havoc at the breakdown. Their forwards have fronted up to everything this year and won or have had parity against most teams.

I can only guess that you are being the glass half full or maybe baiting the clock brothers.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Gigs I can't agree with your summary and the rating of their forwards, sia is not a test level hooker but he is a good player and generally causes havoc at the breakdown. Their forwards have fronted up to everything this year and won or have had parity against most teams.

I can only guess that you are being the glass half full or maybe baiting the clock brothers.
    Nope, I genuinely think their forwards are soft. Maybe I'm overrating ours, I don't know, but my thinking goes like this.
    Backrow, as a unit, even the Fox Sports team talks up our back row. We might not have a stand out superstar at the moment, but together, as a unit, the four named for tonight are arguably the equal of any team in the comp. Qld, whilst promising, are still green in the back row and starting to show it under pressure. Gill hasn't been pilfering as much lately, which makes me think he's been figured out. Schatz is better than Higginbotham (but that's not saying much, Higgers didn't actually play a lot of backrow, preferring to seagull out on the wing)

Front Row, Our scrummaging has been going well this year, we have stood up to and matched some of the strongest front rows in the comp, whereas they still have some question marks. Faingaa is, frankly, poor and holds out Hanson, who IMHO is a better hooker, Tessman has been good at Hooker, but he's not the difference, the difference is in the way they work as a unit. Pek, I would stand up against any Wallaby-eligible loose head (might be room to argue for Robinson) and Longbottom complements the package well, Bring Faulkner off the bench and we lose nothing.

Our issue is in the locks, Sam Wykes is not having a good year and even Rob Simmons is better than him at the moment. Horwill (now that Sharpie has gone) is the best lock in Australia (Daylight second) and Lynn doesn't compete there.

All that adds up to (assuming they turn up for the game) Scrum dominance, hopeless lineouts and ruthless efficiency at the breakdown. Exactly what we need if we're to disrupt Queensland.

Make no mistake, If we can't get Quade standing 10m deep for most of this game we are going to lose spectacularly, if we can, however, pressure their set piece, turn their ruck ball over and rush their attack I think we stand a pretty good chance of surprising them for the third time in a row.

I hope my explanation helps!

ps, I don't bait the clocks, they bite without me trying.

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    Rumour has it that CTM is just not good enough....
    I can very much believe that. There is a big difference between looking good in club rugby and being good enough for Super Rugby. I sincerely doubt he would be in the ball park of Godwin at 12- which I think is where he played most of his rugby in the Shute Shield.

I suppose the question is- is he going to develop to the point that he is good enough?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    We did towel the Reds pack in game 1. That is where we can win it again.

I believe the Reds forwards have been playing much better since then. They are getting back to their structures that were so successful in 2011.

The QLD backs need to be starved of the ball.

The game plan for game 1 will win it. We need a bit more mongrel than last week.

Now in my moleskin trousers and my Williams boots
    Aboard an outlaw as he leaves the chutes
    In my goose neck spurs I rake their fiery hide
    And the girls all shouting around the ringside
    Oh he's the Fulla from Cunnamulla
    Yeah he's the Cunnamulla Fulla

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    no mmm to supply the mongrel

vCash
    There was no mongrel from anyone last week. All but rolled over to have their bellys rubbed.
    We better have plenty tonight and we know Brett will give it large when he gets on.
    Lets just take to them if we lose by a couple I won't be to disappointed but not a rout please.

May the FORCE be with you!

Champion
    vCash
    Yes please give us some fight force harder to change the channel at Nib! I hope they do us proud..
    Posted via Mobile Device

Rookie
    vCash
    I think they would be dirty after last week and we do not normally roll over two weeks in a row. Speaking of mongrel, if CTM isn't good enough where are we at with McCaffrey? I thought he was a promising # 8 ? is he also below par ?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3