Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: B&I LIONS PROVE TOO STRONG FOR FORCE IN PERTH

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

B&I LIONS PROVE TOO STRONG FOR FORCE IN PERTH

The Emirates Western Force has gone down to the touring British & Irish Lions, 69-17, at Patersons Stadium tonight.

The visitors crossed for nine tries with the Force securing two of their own through back-rowers Richard Brown and Lachlan McCaffrey.

The Lions’ score was fast-tracked by a flawless goal-kicking display from fullback Leigh Halfpenny converting all nine tries and adding two penalty goals, while Force scrumhalf Brett Sheehan was also on-song with the boot, driving home two conversions and a penalty goal from as many attempts.

Emirates Western Force Head Coach Michael Foley said he was pleased with his side’s intent despite the final result.

“I thought we played with a lot of heart for the 80 minutes,” he said. “To see [replacement back] Nick Haining down the left touchline at the end and the boys still moving the ball was fantastic.

“There were opportunities early in the game where we probably had some set piece losses that allowed them to capitalise; I think you can get away with that at a level down but against Test match-standard opposition, they build momentum out of that.

“Our guys kept coming; it was particularly difficult when we were down to 14 men… and the Lions really accelerated at that point of the game.”

The British & Irish Lions opened their account with an early Halfpenny penalty, before flyhalf Jonathan Sexton dummied his way through to help his side to a 10-point lead after as many minutes.

The Force registered their first points through a Sheehan penalty after 33 minutes, however, tries to captain Brian O’Driscoll and flanker Tom Croft in the final six minutes of the half extended the Northern Hemisphere side’s lead to 27-3 at the break.

A Jamie Heaslip try immediately following the resumption of play lengthened the Lions’ lead to 31 points before Brown charged over for the Force’s first five-pointer of the evening. With the Force driving deep into the Lions’ quarter on the back of consecutive penalties, Matt Hodgson took his side to within five metres with a quick tap before Brown found a chink in the Lions defence from first receiver to touch down.

While the Lions struck back through Mako Vunipola in the 51st minute, they then took full advantage of a one-man overlap following the sin-binning of Force outside Ed Stubbs, running in three tries in 10 minutes.

However, the traffic was not all one way, with replacement back-rower Lachlan McCaffrey clawing one back for his side when he stretched out under the posts to score.

Trailing 62-17, the Force attacked the Lions line in the final 10 minutes of the match – aided by a yellow card to Alun Wyn Jones, however, it was the Englishman Geoff Parling who would have the final say after running off a neat inside pass from flanker Sean O’Brien for the final try of the evening.

The Emirates Western Force will back-up to play the NSW Waratahs on Sunday (9 June) at nib Stadium.

2013 British & Irish Lions Tour
    Wednesday, 5 June 2013 at Paterson Stadium, Perth
    Kick-off: 6pm

Emirates Western Force 17 (Richard Brown, Lachlan McCaffrey tries; Brett Sheehan 2 conversions, Brett Sheehan penalty) defeated by British & Irish Lions 69 (Brian O'Driscoll 2, Owen Farrell, Geoff Parling, Mako Vunipola, Tommy Bowe, Jonathan Sexton, James Heaslip, Tom Croft Tries; Leigh Halfpenny 9 Conversions; Leigh Halfpenny 2 Penalties)

Emirates Western Force: 1. Salesi Manu, 2. James Hilterbrand, 3. Salesi Ma’afu, 4. Toby Lynn, 5. Phoenix Battye, 6. Angus Cottrell, 7. Matt Hodgson (c), 8. Richard Brown, 9. Brett Sheehan, 10. Sam Norton-Knight, 11. Corey Brown, 12. Chris Tuatara-Morrison, 13. Ed Stubbs, 14. Dane Haylett-Petty, 15. Sam Christie. Res: 16. Hugh Roach, 17. Sione Kolo, 18. Tim Metcher, 19. Ben Matwijow, 20. Lachlan McCaffrey, 21. Alby Mathewson, 22. Nick Haining, 23. Junior Rasolea.

British & Irish Lions: 1. Cian Healy, 2. Rory Best, 3. Dan Cole, 4. Alun Wyn Jones, 5. Ian Evans, 6. Tom Croft, 7. Sean O’Brien, 8. James Heaslip, 9. Conor Murray, 10. Jonathan Sexton, 11. George North, 12. Manu Tuilagi, 13. Brian O’Driscoll (c), 14. Tommy Bowe, 15. Leigh Halfpenny. Res: 16. Tom Youngs, 17. Mako Vunipola, 18. Matt Stevens, 19. Geoff Parling, 20. Toby Faletau, 21. Ben Youngs, 22. Owen Farrell, 23. Sean Maitland

Yellow Cards: Ed Stubbs, Alun Wyn Jones
    Red Cards: Nil
    Referee: Glen Jackson
    Crowd: 35, 103

By the clock

Min Details Score
    4 Leigh Halfpenny Penalty Goal 0-3
    11 Jonathan Sexton Try 0-8
    12 Leigh Halfpenny Conversion 0-10
    33 Brett Sheehan Penalty Goal 3-10
    34 Brian O'Driscoll Try 3-15
    35 Leigh Halfpenny Conversion 3-17
    37 Leigh Halfpenny Penalty Goal 3-20
    40 Tom Croft Try 3-25
    40 Leigh Halfpenny Conversion 3-27
    43 Jamie Heaslip Try 3-32
    44 Leigh Halfpenny Conversion 3-34
    47 Richard Brown Try 8-34
    48 Brett Sheehan Conversion 10-34
    51 Mako Vunipola Try 10-39
    53 Leigh Halfpenny Conversion 10-41
    58 Ed Stubbs Yellow 10-41
    59 Tommy Bowe Try 10-46
    61 Leigh Halfpenny Conversion 10-48
    64 Locky McCaffrey Try 15-48
    64 Brett Sheehan Conversion 17-48
    65 Brian O'Driscoll Try 17-53
    66 Leigh Halfpenny Conversion 17-55
    67 Owen Farrell Try 17-60
    68 Leigh Halfpenny Conversion 17-62
    72 Alun Wyn Jones Yellow 17-62
    76 Geoff Parling Try 17-67
    78 Leigh Halfpenny Conversion 17-69

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    DHP had some nice touches but brown and CTM were found out defensively on a number of occasions due to bad positioning and the tackling in general was too weak for the lions powerful ball carriers. i enjoyed the game however we showed spirit!

vCash
    TBH, the scoreline is about what I was expecting. The Lions treated this as a proper match, rather than an exhibition run-out, and it was a team of Super Rugby reserves (with some starters) against a team of Internationals. The full strength Force might have only reduced the deficit by 10-20 points.

What I liked was that when the Lions gave away penalties under the posts, instead of taking the points as we always do, Sheehan took quick taps and we drove at them. We've actually got a decent forward pack, and scored two tries that way. We should use that tactic against the Tahs.

Veteran
    vCash
    yeah, brown was stuffed at the end but he loved the experience! what a way to have your first professional match! you are right, he was found out positionally a few times and it was most likely due to the speed of the game.

A lot of players who play their first SR match talk about how fast it is, imagine the speed when playing a test quality side! would have been intense!

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    TBH, the scoreline is about what I was expecting. The Lions treated this as a proper match, rather than an exhibition run-out, and it was a team of Super Rugby reserves (with some starters) against a team of Internationals. The full strength Force might have only reduced the deficit by 10-20 points.

What I liked was that when the Lions gave away penalties under the posts, instead of taking the points as we always do, Sheehan took quick taps and we drove at them. We've actually got a decent forward pack, and scored two tries that way. We should use that tactic against the Tahs.
    why wouldn't you opt to take a scrum in those situations? it gives the backs some space to have a crack at least, though as you said, the quick ball is something that the lions seemed to be a little vulnerable to.

Were the lions onside? i kept hear the ref say that he was happy that they were back ten by the time he tapped it.

vCash
    The game actually gives me some confidence for the Wallabies, everybody knows our first string backs aren't flashy, our second string backs are pretty crap, so our third string backs.....let's just say I'm not surprised. The forwards did, however make a decent showing of it in general and there is plenty of room to improve on that just within the Force squad. If Deans picks his backline well enough I think the Wallabies can take it.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    why wouldn't you opt to take a scrum in those situations? it gives the backs some space to have a crack at least, though as you said, the quick ball is something that the lions seemed to be a little vulnerable to.

Were the lions onside? i kept hear the ref say that he was happy that they were back ten by the time he tapped it.
    Nah, no way they were onside.

I also thought they were fringing pretty bad and a lot of side entries to the ruck, but I was behind the play and quite a way back so I might be mistaken.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Well done to the boys, a great showing in the circumstances. Crowd did seem very quiet.

"If" Browny is off next year, it was great to see him get some meat against the Lions

Quote of the day in post match interview with The Honey Badger from Sydney about his mate Locky's try "he was sweating like bag full of cats at a greyhound meet".....gold Nick, absolute gold.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I wonder if cummo writes them before the game or does he come up with this stuff off the cuff?

C'mon the

vCash
    Result hardly surprising but at least we beat the WA score from 2001

Given the side that was named by the Force I probably wouldn't have gone had I not pre booked tickets ages ago

Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Crowd did seem very quiet.
    Probably a combo of the ground being crap and the result being known well before kick off

Champion
    vCash
    Agree the ground is awful - the screens tiny.. I had no idea what was going on half the time. I did like the fact that we kicked the ball away a lot less or maybe that was just because we didn't have enough possession. I just hope the Wallabies can bring them back down to earth...

vCash
    Extended highlights http://youtu.be/jYY0DBVmAy0

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Agree the ground is awful - the screens tiny.. I had no idea what was going on half the time. I did like the fact that we kicked the ball away a lot less or maybe that was just because we didn't have enough possession. I just hope the Wallabies can bring them back down to earth...
    and the line for beer is half a mile long! thank god we have moved to NIB!

i thought we did alright in the possession stakes, better than expected.

vCash

vCash
    Locky on the field a few minutes and gets a meat - welcome back to the team mate.

How's the look on Brownie's face after he scored - you could see how much it meant to him - keepsake!

Last edited by SinBin; 06-06-13 at 09:49.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast