Thread: Mid Season Assessment Premier Grade

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash

Mid Season Assessment Premier Grade

The ladder has Nedlands and Cottesloe with seemingly unassailable leads for the top two positions, but are they that safe?

Nedlands are reasonably secure in my view. They have strength down the grades. However while they have won most games clinically through good stewardship and discipline they don't appear to have the flair and exciting talent that sets them apart most seasons. A team able to produce that je ne sais quoi when it matters can beat them, and there are several such teams still in the hunt.

Cottesloe have shone early through their Force connections and win at all costs mentality, but the latter only breeds determination in their opposition, and the former will be long gone the minute the Super Rugby season is over.And the interesting bit has been that even with their full Force contingent, and despite their success so far, they really haven't been that much better than the teams four or five positions below them on the ladder.

Associates and Wests have been solid and have been able to produce enough to get them over the line when the going got tough. But they too have been reliant, albeit to a lesser degree, on their coterie of Force fringe dwellers, and as Cottesloe will find, they are soon to fold their tents like the Arabs, and silently steal into the night. Both Wests and Soaks have the character and depth to compensate for these losses and will be there at the end.

Palmyra's results have been enigmatic so far, having the most powerful front row in the competition, yet not being able to transform their forward dominance into points against the better sides. Against Perth this weekend just gone however their backline clicked, and melded well with the forwards, finally demonstrating a ruthlessness missing from their performances over the last five seasons. They may have turned the corner.

Kalamunda and University have what it takes, having recruited judiciously, if not economically, and possess well balanced teams. The only concern for them is their lack of quality depth. Having a fantastic fifth grade won't cut it for Uni if they aren't competitive in seconds and thirds, despite their numbers. And Kalamunda are even less well endowed in that department.

Unfortunately the season appears over for the remaining clubs, and their ongoing concerns at this time are probably to retain player numbers for next season and recruit as well as they can to be in a position to regroup for next year.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Neddies and Cott will fight out top spot and make finals easily. Wests, Kala, Paly, Uni & Soaks to fight it out for the remainder 2 spots. It's gonna be a dog fight! Rocky have the potential to cause an upset at home, which could be the difference in one of those 5 clubs making finals or not! Also expecting a better showing from Wanneroo in Round 2. Can they maybe also cause an upset or 2? Sadly I think Baysie will not feature much in round 2. Still a lot to play for, for all clubs involved!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Senior Player
    vCash
    Okay Fulvio, you've had your fun now it's my turn.

The top 3 come finals time will be Neds, Cott (why do I feel I need to wash my mouth out with soap?) and Soaks with Pally and Wests vying for the 4th spot.

Uni are good but not good enough.

Kala's wheels have begun to wobble and will run out of puff / depth.

Wanneroo - will stabilise in around 8th spot and will not cause the top 5 too much grief.

Rocky - has more problems emerging off field and that will have an impact on the field. Won't finish last though.

Baysie - deeper problems with the player group than is currently obvious will continue to unravel and they will become an opportunity for top teams to get some bonus points and percentage.

That's the order I think everyone will finish.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    heard a certain club has discovered an alarming discrepancy in their bar income and expenditure--is this so RM?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Yep, ongoing investigations by the plod as I understand.

Champion
    vCash
    Every year I hear the same story, the only thing that changes is the club involved

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    ....so did Wests just have a bad day against Rocky last weekend?

'cos if that's how they play week in week out then I'd be really surprised to see them in the finals.
    DISCLAIMER: Based solely upon last weekend's performance. I've seen them once before this year in a trial match and they don't count.

Senior Player
    vCash
    ....so did you Ecky just have a bad day at Rocky last weekend?

'cos if that's how you ref week in week out then I'd be really surprised to see you in the finals

Champion
    vCash
    Rocky don't give an inch and we had to work hard but yes Ecky we were terrible [no disrespect to Rocky]It's about this time of the season we start to fall away.Did you enjoy your gaterade at halftime on Sat

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Did you enjoy your gaterade at halftime on Sat
    Did you wonder why your Gatorade was yellow?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumourMonger View Post
    Yep, ongoing investigations by the plod as I understand.
    as from the conversation I overheard on Sunday,I believe that is so

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    heard a certain club has discovered an alarming discrepancy in their bar income and expenditure--is this so RM?

What, is Nedlands watering down the beer again?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    What, is Nedlands watering down the beer again?
    thats like saying "are you still beating your wife"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Did you enjoy your gaterade at halftime on Sat
    Yes thanks - except the ice cubes were a bit OTT

vCash
    .... and just to clarify:

I thought the game between Rocky and Wests, while quite interesting in terms of the struggle and final score, was a pretty low-skilled affair. Based solely upon that game, I can't see how Wests would be considered in the mix for finals. They may well have played well in previous games this season, but they did not do so on Saturday.

Clear to everyone now? Great. Carry on...