Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2013 STATE SCHOOL BOYS TOUR SQUAD

vCash

RUGBYWA.com.au

http://www.rugbywa.com.au/NewsEvents...5/Default.aspx

Contributors: Patrick Henning
    27/06/2013

The Western Australian State Schoolboys squad has been announced ahead of the upcoming 2013 National Schoolboy Championships starting in Sydney on Monday, 1 July.

Scrumhalf Angus Taylor will captain the side while prop Tristan Schneider will act as deputy.

Aranmore Catholic College is the best represented school with five players, while six members of the Bankwest Academy have been selected.

Hooker Terrell Berryman, son of former All Black Norm Berryman, has also been chosen in the squad.

WA Schoolboys Assistant Coach and Head Coach of the Bankwest Academy, Dwayne Nestor, along with Head Coach Elwee Prinsloo and fellow assistant Michael Holland, has been impressed with how quickly the squad has come together.

“This year they’re a team that has been able to pick up the concepts really quickly, which is important as we’re looking to play a well-structured game,” Nestor said.

“While we’re expecting Queensland I and New South Wales I to be strong again, if we rely on good structures and good systems then we’ll be very competitive.”

With the demanding schedule of four games in six days, Nestor says the selectors have picked a tough team with the attitude and character to handle the quick turnaround.

The National Schoolboys Championships provides a prime opportunity for the State’s best schoolboy talent to showcase their skills, with several Emirates Western Force players representing the Western Australian Schoolboys in past tournaments. John Welborn (1987), Kieran Longbottom (2002); Zack Holmes, Dane Haylett-Petty and Justin Turner (all 2007); and Kyle Godwin (2009) have all progressed from the representative side to sign senior contracts with Force.

Nestor believes this year’s squad contains players capable of pushing for higher honours this season.

“The tournament gives the guys a chance to make the Australian Schoolboys squad and represent their country which is important for these boys and a lot of them put a huge amount of effort in to their preparation,” he said.

“We’ve got a number of players that selectors should be interested in and it’s a matter for those players – and us as a team – to find consistency during the tournament against quality opposition.”

The National Schoolboys Championships will run from Monday, 1 July to Saturday, 6 July at Riverview Sydney, New South Wales.

2013 Western Australian Schoolboys Squad:
    Hayden Anderson (Aranmore Catholic College), Grayson Artmanni (Padbury SHS), Auvae Auvae (Seven Oaks), Terrell Berryman (Aranmore Catholic College), Joshua Billington (Hale School), Ruban Birch (Guildford Grammar), Hershelle Classen (Aranmore Catholic College), Kauri Cudd (Comet Bay College), Tevin Ferris (John Tonkin), Michael Fotu (Lynwood High School), Luke Foulwer (Mazanod), Liam Husband (St Marks ACS), Aden Kambouris (Hale School), Jacob Kohinga (Aranmore Catholic College), Tim Koiatu (Tuart College), Chris Miller (Kennedy Baptist College), Jayden Ngamanu (Aranmore Catholic College), Isaiah Pederson (Thornlie SHS), Blake Phillips (Clarkson SHS), Tristan Schneider (Mindarie SHS), Thomas Sheminant (Christchurch Grammar), Angus Taylor (c) (Newman College), Michael Tui (Port School).

2013 National Schoolboys Championship
    Riverview Sydney, New South Wales
    Monday, 1 July – Western Australia v New South Wales
    Wednesday, 3 July – Western Australia v Queensland II
    Thursday, 4 July – Western Australia v Combined States
    Saturday, 6 July – Finals

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    NSW will be a tough game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Any potential super stars in there?
    There are quite a few stars but if I must put my money on one of them then it will be:

Jayden Ngamanu - Still eligible to play U16 Good at fullback and Flyhalf Watch this boy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Any potential super stars in there?
    Like TFG mentioned:
    - Jayden Ngnamanu with ball in hand from the back or 10 is a great young talent.
    - Isaiah Pedersen one of the best runners/counter attackers going around out wide.
    - Jacob Kohinga great runner/defender and distribter in the centres, always making yards.
    - Gus Taylor at half back is very smart and strong as an ox.
    In the forwards:
    - Blake Phillips and Hayden Anderson are both big, fast and athletic ball running loose forwards/locks.

Most of these lads will be playing premier grade next year.

Apprentice
    vCash
    no doubt these boys are good but it would really depend what club they're at if they are to play 1st grade straight out of school. its a huge step up - not that they couldn't handle it but its a massive ask. some clubs are more inclined for them to develop in colts rather than throw them in 1st grade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rugby_lover View Post
    no doubt these boys are good but it would really depend what club they're at if they are to play 1st grade straight out of school. its a huge step up - not that they couldn't handle it but its a massive ask. some clubs are more inclined for them to develop in colts rather than throw them in 1st grade.
    Yes I agree R_L and WESTS are the best at bringing young talent up into premier grade over the past several years. This year i've noticed Cody CoeBaker gain a start on the wing for WESTS, he was a SB last year. Hayden Anderson a SB this year came of the bench and made a real impact according to Westie only a few weeks ago. Throw in names like Lacey, Mosese, Koteka, Peni and the list can go on at Wests with their program bringing Kids into Prems. I understand Dwayne Grace is the one introducing these kids slowly into Prems throughout the year when they are only 17-18 years and I guess not every club can have a Gracie on their books. Plug for WESTS ;-)

Most of the SB squad are playing 18's and 20's then some backing up for 3rds/2nds, in Anderson's case, Premiers.

Other end of the scale are Neddies - They cannot bring young ones through as they don't have many juniors.

Clubs to watch over the next few years with juniors coming through: Wanneroo, Paly & Wests I believe. Then there's the question of who will pick up the cream from Mandurah, Joondalup & Southern Lions?

vCash
    Game 1 W.A put to the sword by NSW I 64-8

GAME 4 (POOL B) NSW 1 64 (Charlie Taylor try, Harry Jones 2 tries, 7 cons, Taane Milne try, Hosea Foutakava try, Andrew Kellaway 3 tries, Angus Crichton try, Joshua Anderson try) defeated Western Australia 8 (Tim Koiatu pen, Kauri Cudd try)
    MATCH REPORTS WILL BE POSTED LATER THIS EVENING IN THE NEWS SECTION

http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/

Last edited by Pacman; 01-07-13 at 18:14.

Champion
    vCash
    Pacman you forgot Riley Winter 6 4in lock still eligible for 18's and was given 1st grade player of the day on Sat

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Pacman you forgot Riley Winter 6 4in lock still eligible for 18's and was given 1st grade player of the day on Sat
    Great to here - shame he's not at school, boys could have done with him today against NSW.

“In 1823, William Webb Ellis first picked up the ball in his arms and ran with it. And for the next 156 years forwards have been trying to work out why.” - Sir Tasker Watkins (1979)

Senior Player
    vCash
    Combined States 24 defeated WA 19 (Jayden Ngamanu, Hayden Anderson tries; Tim Koiatu 3 pen) at National Schoolboys Championships, Sydney. Next match: 7th v 8th play-off on 6 July

vCash
    Okay - now its all over and WA did not win a game for the first time since they were accepted to Div 1 schools, when is Rugby WA going to realise that Head Coach Elwee Prinsloo is not up to it? He has failed at club level, failed in running a "private academy", cost numerous talented kids a shot at the next level and is still feted by the hierarchy. Not sure what photo's he has but please... one goat! no one will care.

There seems to be changes happening all over Australian rugby as well as in WA so time for a large spiky broom to come out and clean out the deadwood here.

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think a big factor for WA's performances will be the disparity of ages. At the moment, the Eastern states teams should be on average 6 months older than their WA counterparts. In two years we will have caught up.

Although it certainly helps to have good coaches and good selectors.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I agree that this is a factor but since I can remember, WA has always been competitive regardless. In the days of DIV II, WA would usually make up nearly half of the Combined states team which made the finals one year. Since the promotion to Div I, WA have done okay and always beaten ACT or VIC and had multiple reps in the Aus teams... this year, no wins, one rep in Aus A.... Is it because we have no talent at this age? I doubt it. I personally lay the blame at the coaches feet.... but then again that is my opinion..

PS - I have no kids, relations etc with anything to do with schoolboy rugby this year so these comments are not biased by the "angry father syndrome"

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

vCash
    From what I've been told, a few bounces of the ball going the right way and W.A could of had 3 wins; it was that close.

Again from what I've heard Dinky, you're on the money re coaches. W.A has a brilliant 'Back 3' that barely touched the ball throughout the entire tournament in perfect dry conditions.

In Elwee's defence - his support staff in Nestor, his manager and Fw'ds coach were pathetic by all accounts.

vCash
    The squad played tune up games against a few local U20's sides and put the cleaners through them. I also watched quite a few of their training sessions and the preparation from that perspective was solid. Quite a few of their players were dogged with injury in the lead up and were under done, not an excuse, just fact. I am also lead to believe that a few of the so called big guns under performed on tour and failed to step up to the next level. Its easy to paste the coaches, players should also be held accountable. This group has quite a few egos, fingers crossed this tour has brought them back to earth.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast