Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nokia unveils 41-megapixel smartphone camera with Lumia 1020

vCash

Nokia unveils 41-megapixel smartphone camera with Lumia 1020

Nokia has introduced a new smartphone, the Lumia 1020, with a powerful 41-megapixel camera that boasts "more detail than the eye can see" in its latest bid to catch up with rivals Samsung and Apple.
    The Finnish company said the smartphone "is able to produce some of the sharpest images possible by any digital camera".

Using a feature called dual capture, the 1020 simultaneously takes a high-resolution 38-megapixel image for editing opportunities, and a five-megapixel picture that is easy to share on social networks, Nokia said.

Tech bloggers responded enthusiastically, saying the camera quality was the highest in the market. But analysts questioned whether it was enough to help Nokia, suffering a fall in cash reserves after years of poor sales, survive.
    "The hardware's a beauty on this thing," said tech website Engadget after Nokia chief executive Stephen Elop demonstrated features including "floating lens" technology that adjusts for camera shake and six lenses that help produce sharper images.

"The hardware's a beauty on this thing," said tech website Engadget after Nokia chief executive Stephen Elop demonstrated features including "floating lens" technology that adjusts for camera shake and six lenses that help produce sharper images.

"Taking pictures is in the top three things people do with a smartphone. It's a relevant feature to be focused on," she said. "To stand out you have to differentiate."

The new Lumia's 41-megapixel count far exceeds those of the iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom, at 8 and 16 megapixels respectively. It is also higher than some compact digital cameras, although higher megapixels do not necessarily mean better photos as factors such as lens quality also affect the end result.

Full Story http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/m...712-2ptwh.html

Being a former Nokia N95 owner I still have a soft spot for Nokia Will pinning their hopes on the camera aspect of a smartphone rather than the operating system choice (still windoz), apps etc work for Nokia... doubtful.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Interesting! My contract is up and I'm looking at a new smartphone and want one with a decent camera. I've been on Iphones since day 1 and am now looking to move from Apple. Unless of course the 5S is going to blow it's competition out the water, which I sincerely doubt. It's a shame because I like the Apple IOS, but Apple are slowly but surely falling behind the competition. I was reading about rumoured new tech that was going to be appearing in the 5S, only to find out it's already in the Samsung Galaxy... I'd definitely look into the Nokia, but I think Sony are also bringing out a new smartphone which has a camera that is better than most point and shoots.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    Being a former Nokia N95 owner I still have a soft spot for Nokia
    I used to have a soft spot for Nokia as well until they inflicted the N97 on the world

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    i think Jargs is a nokiaphile ?

LOL simultaneous post - ok obviously not any more

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I used to have a soft spot for Nokia as well until they inflicted the N97 on the world
    The deepest pits of hell are reserved for betrayers and mutineers and the Nokia N97
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    Interesting! My contract is up and I'm looking at a new smartphone and want one with a decent camera. I've been on Iphones since day 1 and am now looking to move from Apple. Unless of course the 5S is going to blow it's competition out the water, which I sincerely doubt. It's a shame because I like the Apple IOS, but Apple are slowly but surely falling behind the competition. I was reading about rumoured new tech that was going to be appearing in the 5S, only to find out it's already in the Samsung Galaxy... I'd definitely look into the Nokia, but I think Sony are also bringing out a new smartphone which has a camera that is better than most point and shoots.
    two words.
    HTC ONE.

the camera is wound WAAAAY back to a 4megapix, but fuck me if those 4megapixels aint the best megapixels available! the camera is the fucking bomb (unless you plan on printing photos of your dinner out larger than A4)

outside of the camera, Ive got an ONE, and my missus now has the S4, and she previously had every generation of iPhone... the S4 is good, but its like a childs toy (in build quality and OS features) compared to the ONE.

for real.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Just got rid of a HTC Windows 8 for the HTC One, I'm with you UNCLE BOOG

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCLE BOOG View Post
    two words.
    HTC ONE.

the camera is wound WAAAAY back to a 4megapix, but fuck me if those 4megapixels aint the best megapixels available! the camera is the fucking bomb (unless you plan on printing photos of your dinner out larger than A4)

outside of the camera, Ive got an ONE, and my missus now has the S4, and she previously had every generation of iPhone... the S4 is good, but its like a childs toy (in build quality and OS features) compared to the ONE.

for real.
    Well I have a 50" TV and when friends/rellies are round I stream photos from Iphone to TV via Apple TV, I'd imagine at 4mp they'd be quite a bit of pixelation? I've read good review of the HTC one, camera is supposed to be good, but 4mp is a bit too low.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    Well I have a 50" TV and when friends/rellies are round I stream photos from Iphone to TV via Apple TV, I'd imagine at 4mp they'd be quite a bit of pixelation? I've read good review of the HTC one, camera is supposed to be good, but 4mp is a bit too low.
    I bet your friends and family hate you! haha.
    (other peoples holiday slide shows are boring! )

vCash
    I bet your friends and family hate you! haha.
    (other peoples holiday slide shows are boring! )

vCash
    two words.
    HTC ONE.

for real.
    Little bit harsh on the S4 Granted, the HTC One has a sturdier build but I use a Otterbox case for my phone so not an issue.

Zed - Good video review of the two phones here with the reviewers giving the HTC the nod but only just... And a comparison of the Nokia, iPhone, S4 and One below

Attached Images Attached Images  

vCash
    An otterbox case... Don't be THAT guy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    two words.
    HTC ONE.

for real
    I'll agree with that but the ONE is an child's toy compared to the Nokia 920 and the 1020 blows everything away. Look at the sample photo's HERE . You'd never know they came from a phone. Zoom in on a couple of the high res photos the detail it's nothing short of amazing. It takes a 5meg pic simultaneously with a high res photo so you have a lower res one for sharing.

I never had a N9 but I've used the 900 and now 920 for the last year and they are awesome phones.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    An otterbox case... Don't be THAT guy.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    It's saved my phone on many occasions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    You'd never know they came from a phone.
    to be honest, its horses for courses, I use my phone camera to take photos of sensational steaks, drunken hilarity and the like. If Im on holidays the phone stays home and the camera does all that jazz!
    Ive not seen/touched the other phones, but the build quality, design, and the GUI is senstational on all counts, Ive never actually been excited by phones, always just seen them as an expense, but this phone (the ONE) has changed my opinion in a great way!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast