Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Force Tame Brumbies

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Force Tame Brumbies

FORCE TAMES BRUMBIES TO FINISH SEASON ON A HIGH

The Emirates Western Force has finished its 2013 Super Rugby season in style with a 21-15 win over the Brumbies at nib stadium tonight.

In a fitting farewell for the side’s departing players – including stalwart Brett Sheehan and inaugural squad member Richard Brown – the Force crafted one of its most complete performances of the season, with the home side stifling the Australian Conference leaders’ attack and continually crossing the gain line to help set up the three-tries-to-two victory.

No.8 Ben McCalman was brutally physical in a man-of-the-match performance from the back of the scrum and worked in unison with his back-row partners Matt Hodgson and Chris Alcock.

Winger Nick Cummins was also highly involved – particularly under the high ball – and brought the crowd to their feet on numerous occasions with trademark fearless running in slippery conditions.

The only sour note to the evening was lock Hugh McMeniman’s early exit from the match with a neck injury while fellow second-rower Sam Wykes was also helped from the field with a leg injury.

The win was the Force’s fourth of the season, adding the Brumbies to their Reds, Crusaders and Highlanders scalps in season 2013.

Emirates Western Force Head Coach Michael Foley said tonight’s result was reward for the team’s unwavering commitment throughout the season.

“Coming out of a season like last season where there was such a bleak feel, the players pulled together very strongly from the start and learnt to play for each other above all else,” he said.

“I think the standards the players set from day one was above anything they had before and a large amount of that should be attributed to Hodgo.

“There were times during the year when we kept pushing which is why we were able to go out there tonight and play as well as we did.”

In a set-piece dominated first half, the Force was first onto the scoreboard through Hodgson after he caught the Brumbies’ defence napping with a quick tap from a penalty on the five-metre line to burrow over for the first try of the match.

While Jayden Hayward converted, Brumbies flyhalf Christian Lealiifano reduced the deficit to four points with a 33rd-minute penalty goal.

In the shadows of half time, the Force was again the beneficiaries of another quick tap, when scrumhalf Alby Mathewson played on from a scrum penalty on the attacking five-metre line, before offloading to McCalman, who crashed over for his second try of the year.

Hayward’s conversion extended the lead to 14-3 at half time.

Six minutes into the new term, the Force was in for their third and one of their premier tries of the season. Cummins cut through off an attacking scrum on the halfway mark, delivering a neat backhand pass to inside centre Junior Rasolea, who raced around opposing fullback Jesse Mogg for his first Super Rugby touchdown.

While Hayward again added the extras, the Brumbies’ response was swift with Matt Toomua gifting Tevita Kuridrani a try under the posts – and Lealiifano the conversion – two minutes later to trail 21-10.

While hooker James Hilterbrand was denied by the television match official in the corner at the 58-minute mark, Brumbies lock Scott Fardy had no such problems when he crossed the line from a George Smith quick tap eight minutes later.

While Lealiifano had his conversion attempt waved away and Hayward missed a penalty to put the result beyond a converted try with two minutes remaining, a defiant Force held on to provide their loyal Sea of Blue with a memorable finish to the season.

Super Rugby – Round 20
    Saturday, 13 July 2013 at nib Stadium, Perth
    Kick-off: 7.45pm
    Emirates Western Force 21 (Matt Hodgson, Ben McCalman, Junior Rasolea tries; Jayden Hayward 3 conversions) defeat Brumbies 15 (Tevita Kuridrani, Scott Fardy tries; Christian Lealiifano conversion; Christian Lealiifano penalty)
    Emirates Western Force: 1. Pek Cowan, 2. James Hilterbrand, 3. Salesi Ma’afu, 4. Sam Wykes, 5. Hugh McMeniman, 6. Matt Hodgson (c), 7.Chris Alcock, 8. Ben McCalman, 9. Alby Mathewson, 10. Sias Ebersohn, 11. Nick Cummins, 12. Junior Rasolea, 13.Ben Jacobs, 14. Patrick Dellit, 15. Jayden Hayward. Res: 16. Ben Whittaker, 17. Salesi Manu, 18. Toby Lynn, 19. Richard Brown, 20. Brett Sheehan, 21. Sam Norton-Knight, 22. Sam Christie.
    Coach: Michael Foley

Brumbies: 1. Scott Sio, 2. Stephen Moore, 3. Ben Alexander, 4. Scott Fardy, 5. Sam Carter, 6. Pete Kimlin, 7. Colby Faingaa, 8. Ben Mowen (c), 9. Ian Prior, 10. Matt Toomua, 11. Joe Tomane, 12. Christian Lealiifano, 13. Tevita Kuridrani, 14. Henry Speight, 15. Jesse Mogg. Res: 16. Siliva Siliva, 17. Ruan Smith, 18. Fotu Auelua, 19. George Smith, 20. Robbie Coleman, 21. Andrew Smith, 22. Mark Swanepoel
    Coach: Jake White
    Yellow Cards: nil
    Red Cards: Nil
    Referee: Rohan Hoffmann
    Crowd: 9,511
    By the clock

Min Details Score
    21 Jayden Hayward Missed PG 0-0
    22 Matt Hodgson Try 5-0
    24 Jayden Hayward Conversion 7-0
    34 Christian Lealiifano Penalty Goal 7-3
    40 Ben McCalman Try 12-3
    40 Jayden Hayward Conversion 14-3
    46 Junior Rasolea Try 19-3
    47 Jayden Hayward Conversion 21-3
    49 Tevita Kuridrani Try 21-8
    50 Christian Lealiifano Conversion 21-10
    61 Jayden Hayward Missed PG 21-10
    66 Scott Fardy Try 21-15
    69 Christian Lealiifano Missed Con 21-15
    79 Jayden Hayward Missed PG 21-15

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Great win tonight!! Fantastic way to finish the season and set a platform for next year!!

vCash
    Great win! Makes me feel quite positive about next year.
    Going to have to start counting the days.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Awesome! Shame there weren't more of us there to enjoy it.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Great result. Thought we had choked it again when the ref put them on a warning and we decided to take the penalty rather than go for the kill, ending up on defense for over ten minutes and coughing up a try to put them within range. Suspect they felt a bit similar, otherwise they'd've pressed for the try from 1m at the end rather than not take the risk. But even so, so much more and better endeavour. Never going to really be onboard with all that kicking, but on the whole they got distance with the clearances, hit some open spaces, and chased and challenged the up-and-unders. If they are going to persist with it as a tactic, at least they are doing the necessary.

But that third try...lovely. They really should consider sending Rasolea over to the ITM cup or similar to get him game time. He could be the 13 we so desperately need, but he needs time on the field instead of the bench. Reckon he could come back the real deal.

Overall, congratulations to the lads, well deserved and we'll hopefully see you next year for more of the same.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Unfortunately I kept thinking we were going to blow it which tempered my enthusiasm until of course we won it. I think Alby thought so as well as he was quick to kick that ball out instead of going for a try with the scores as they were. Wolfman was awesome tonight strong in defence and some great carries and a meat pie. I liked seeing Sio and Manu playing I see these two as being the next generation of props in Australia and gee aren't they a couple of big lads.

Got more to say but daddie duty is calling.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Forced errors cost Brumbies in Perth

Brumbies press release:

A spirited Western Force had ended its season on a high defeating the University of Canberra Brumbies on Saturday 21-15.

Heavy rain and greasy Perth conditions did not help the University of Canberra Brumbies but in the end it was their own errors which cost them the match. If anything the score-line flattered the Brumbies who made 17 handling errors throughout the 80 minutes.

Kicks sailed out on the full, passes didn’t stick and the Brumbies paid the price.

Despite the loss the Brumbies still managed to claim the Australian Conference title for the first time, finishing the competition with 60 points, two ahead of the Reds back on 58 with all games played. They will face the Cheetahs in a Qualifying Final at Canberra Stadium on Sunday at 4.10pm.

Head Coach Jake White said if he had to lose then this was the week to do it with no second chances from here on in.

“We’re probably guilty of thinking about next week, we’re just lucky that this loss came this week when we are still in with a shot,” White said.

“It was never going to be a situation where we just showed up and took the points and that perhaps is how we approached this game. We know we’ve played a lot of good rugby this year, we can’t be worried about this denting our confidence.

“We’re back at home in front of our home crowd and we have no reason to drop our heads. There are only six teams that can win the competition now and we’re one of them.”

The game started with the Brumbies on the back foot as the kickoff sailed into touch on the full. From there things went from bad to worse as the Force crossed for two tries before halftime.

The Force used the high ball nicely and pressured the Brumbies to contest the catch. The result was plenty of loose ball falling the local's way.

Heading to the sheds 14-3 down at halftime, the Brumbies needed to rally early in the second half. But a third try to former Brumbies Academy member Junior Rasolea pushed the score-line out of the visitor’s reach.

Tevita Kuridrani and Scott Fardy got the Brumbies back in with a sniff at 15-21, but the Force regained control of the match and were unlucky not to capitalise on more scoring opportunities late in the game.

Force 21 (Matt Hodgson, Junior Rasolea, Ben McCalman tries; Jayden Hayward 3 cons) bt University of Canberra Brumbies 15 (Tevita Kuridrani, Scott Fardy tries; Christian Lealiifano 1 con; 1 pen) at nib Stadium, Perth. Referee:

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Force have won both games I've watched on the east coast on tv

vCash
    Great game to finish the season, the third try was out standing!...I wonder how mudskipper feels today?.....

Senior Player
    vCash
    What a fantastic result and what a way to say good bye and thanks for all the great servants of the club who won't be with us next season.

Also what a way to give us supporters hope for next season better season than last in terms of wins

The one thing that had me scratching my head was why we can't play like that more often

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    Great game to finish the season, the third try was out standing!...I wonder how mudskipper feels today?.....
    You reckon he even watched the game?

Senior Player
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    There were 9,500 last night (the place did look a bit empty, especially the Southern stand, and there was a lot of open space in the Northern end).

Is this the first time that the attendance at a Force home game has gone below 10,000?

(Extenuating circumstances - the threat of rain and the temporary public transport fiasco?)

vCash

The Northern stand

Great game but the kicking in general play still hurts us and when we dont kick look at the results

Most od the northern stand is just the usual ring ins and fans not supporters.... Or they are the visiting teams louts .. I noticed for the 1st time last night a double fence at the northern end and as commented by other members that they got code of conduct calls about misbehaving fans I can see y they need the double fence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    It is a real shame. I was one of "the missing". This was only the third home game in 8 seasons which my wife and I have missed. I have enjoyed reading the reports of what was obviously a fantastic win. It should give us all great heart for next season. Well done the blue boys.

Off to Lords on Thursday to witness what will hopefully be another great Aussie win.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Streaming the match last night with the joys of the Foxsports commentary team I noticed a couple of things.

Yes the crowd looked small - but by Jeeze they got loud for that fantastic 3rd try. How good was the behind the back pass from the honey badger????

The play by play commentator (?) Maloney(?) is a bit of a closet Force fan. He gets excited when we are doing well.

RugbyWA must have had some left over dollars there seemed to be more fireworks this game.

Looking forward to next year.

I believe in the Force and I believe I will have another drink!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast