Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Metro Rugby

Champion
    vCash

Metro Rugby

I thought I'd start a new thread and then I can't be accused of hijacking an existing one.I personally have no other agenda other than to see the local comp strengthened and as been previously mentioned several times would like to see the EWF contracted players take on a more active role in metro rugby to achieve this.After reading the last couple of days posts regarding all in brawls, king hits, players kicking players in the head,spectators becoming involved ,ref's coping a huge serve and the young female ref getting abused, [bloody disgraceful,hang your head in shame those that were involved]players being accosted after the game,coaches having to appear before the judiciary and the list goes on I can now understand why Force players don't want to become involved in the local comp.The damage getting done to metro rugby at the moment is bloody disgraceful and I would hope that those who have any kind of position at their club let the players and supporters know that they all need to pull their head in.Everyone needs to chill the fuck out[Disclaimer I have not personally witnessed any of the above events and am only going by what has been posted on here just to appease those that will undoubtably question my version of events.]

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Agreed,

Lets make our competition one that these players WANT to be a part of, which I am sure will then lead to people wanting to support, and kids wanting to play (and more importantly, mums letting them play).

It's a hooligans game played by Gentlemen(Or Ladies), Not a hooligans game played by hooligans. There's a different code to play if you want to do that crap!

vCash
    Wanneroo's 5th grade compromises guys predominantly in their 40s,50s & 60s, yet they're coming up against teams with big fit guys in their 20s who could and should be playing 1st grade. What usually eventuates is that these guys forget they're playing what is effectively 7th grade and start running around smashing guys old enough to be their grandad, starting fights, screaming abuse at players, at the ref etc etc The worst offenders this season have been Cott, Nedlands & Soaks. The Soaks 5th grade team was much stronger than both their 4th & 3rd grade sides and comprised a number of players only just out of 1st grade with a couple of Perth gold players from a few years back. The age old excuse is "they can't train...". That's fine, but when they're running around trying to fight guys half their weight and double their age, it's not acceptable. Clubs need to be a bit more respectful of their opposition and a bit more responsible.

vCash
    Not sure about the entire composition of what was 4th grade Blue last season, but I must say the GF was a pleasure to referee.

Both teams were predominantly, um, experienced (old?) gents whose sole purpose was to win the flag. In the main they listened to me and either stopped doing it or stopped themselves from doing what they were about to do. The game seemed to flow well and everyone had such a good day out that we all agreed to play some extra time, just to see if we could find a winner. Luckily rugby was the winner at the end of the day with spoils shared.

I understand that the Champ 1sts could well be a tricky comp when what is effectively the 1st team of the old "districts" comp is up against the 3rd or 4th grade of a "premier" club and you'd be hoping an experienced or talented (or both) referee would be appointed to those.

I have first-hand witnessed disgraceful player behaviour in one fixture this year but in the main the games I've attended have been played in the right spirit.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    Wanneroo's 5th grade compromises guys predominantly in their 40s,50s & 60s, yet they're coming up against teams with big fit guys in their 20s who could and should be playing 1st grade. What usually eventuates is that these guys forget they're playing what is effectively 7th grade and start running around smashing guys old enough to be their grandad, starting fights, screaming abuse at players, at the ref etc etc The worst offenders this season have been Cott, Nedlands & Soaks. The Soaks 5th grade team was much stronger than both their 4th & 3rd grade sides and comprised a number of players only just out of 1st grade with a couple of Perth gold players from a few years back. The age old excuse is "they can't train...". That's fine, but when they're running around trying to fight guys half their weight and double their age, it's not acceptable. Clubs need to be a bit more respectful of their opposition and a bit more responsible.
    I watched one game this year when the Soaks 2nd grade hooker and one prop (both ex WA and 1st grade players) ran across to 5th grade and played the entire 5th grade game alongside the other prop who coincidently is a former WA and 1st team player. All three are good enough to play 3rd grade.

Cott's disregard for the spirit of the game under the guise of "these guys don't want to train" (or "they work FIFO") is a disgrace and social rugby players playing 5ths looking for a bit of a game and a few beers after are getting run at by 100 + kg 20 something year olds with scorelines that look ridiculously one-sided.

Yes Cott Blue will win the flag and they probably will look in the mirror and think they are marvellous but they will have to live with their actions. What I do know is that Rugby WA should put say an Over 35 age barrier on 5th grade so it can return to normality and the true spirit of this competition.

Senior Player
    vCash
    I agree with the sentiments I believe that enjoyment and participation are the biggest things to look at there will be countless parents whose kids have become hooked on rugby on the back of the Lions tour and dads who will want to get involved playing so they can take a more active role in helping their son/daughter enjoy such a great game. The last thing you want is someone with little to no rugby experience getting pole-axed by a bloke good enough for first grade but just can't be bothered with it.

It should happen that players play according to their abilities and skill level this way young 18 year olds can play second grade which should be a very good standard and look to progress for premier grade rugby.

Champion
    vCash
    This is a huge problematic area.

I can say that over the past 6 weeks a selection of Premierclub, Championship club, Judiciary and Referees representatives have been working on a Future plan. I have to say - Andrew Hill co-ordinated a first class series of meetings that has resulted in a draft blueprint that was actually raised by the floor and will go to all club presidents for consultation.

The aim to to try and create more balance in the grades and to have old guys play for the fun of it against old guys with the same intention.

The above comments are valid and heard, hopefully over the next few weeks, the movement to a new equitable competition will be discussed and I would expect your club presidents will canvass your ideas, so that critical comments can come forward, taken on board and that ASAP, we have something we can all be pretty proud of.

vCash
    Thanks Hansie. Should be interesting to see how clubs deal with superstar players that can't train. Where do they play them....?

vCash
    ...makes me want to take up playing again!

Sprog: you with me, ol' son?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    ...makes me want to take up playing again!

Sprog: you with me, ol' son?

Now that makes me want to take up reffing!

Last edited by RumourMonger; 18-07-13 at 15:02.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    Thanks Hansie. Should be interesting to see how clubs deal with superstar players that can't train. Where do they play them....?
    IMHO - have the guts to follow Wests lead of 2-3 years ago. No i in team.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Agree with you there but the issue is with the superstars there is no 'I' in team but there is no 'team' in payrise

Champion
    vCash
    There are some things that any governing body will never ever be able to control. It is a known fact that RugbyWA do not want clubs to pay contracted players to come and play or turn sausages for them. But it happens.

There will always be players trying it on with one club against another and there will always be a club that pays them. Even 38 years ago players were "incentivised" to come and play for a club - free beers, free board, free entry to nightclubs - so what's different now?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    free beers--I would have crawled over broken glass for that

alas no offers came my way,the price for being a shit player,i guess

Champion
    vCash
    Gunny - you're a tart.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast