Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: QANTAS WALLABIES TRAINING SQUAD NAMED

Legend Contributor
    vCash

QANTAS WALLABIES TRAINING SQUAD NAMED

Australian Rugby Union today launched The Castrol EDGE Rugby Championship with the announcement of an extended 40-man Qantas Wallabies training squad.

The selected players will assemble for a five-day training camp in Sydney on Monday 5 August , giving new Qantas Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie an opportunity to assess his options before announcing a final squad of up to 30 players on Friday 9 August.

McKenzie has deliberately cast a wide net in selecting his inaugural 40-man training squad with 10 uncapped players included for the opening week of camp.

They will join an experienced core of players who will all be vying for selection in Australia’s opening Bledisloe Cup and Castrol EDGE Rugby Championship clash with New Zealand at ANZ Stadium in Sydney on Saturday 17 August.

“At this stage it’s important that as many players as possible gain exposure to our program and that everyone is receiving an opportunity to push their case for selection before we narrow down our squad,” McKenzie said.

“The first five days will be invaluable in this respect as there are some players I know very well and others that I’m interested in learning more about.

“What I do know though, as is evidenced by the fact that we’ve chosen 10 uncapped players for the training camp, is that Australian Rugby does have a lot of depth and talent coming through, now and for the future.

“We’ve taken that very much into consideration with our selections and believe this squad is capable of having success right now, while also expediting the development process for some of the younger guys who we see as having the potential to represent Australia in a few years.”

Long-serving lock James Horwill will captain the Qantas Wallabies squad, which also includes 21 players who earned at least one cap during Australia’s recent three-game Test series against the British & Irish Lions.

Of the omissions from the British & Irish Lions series, Kurtley Beale and Wycliff Palu have not been considered for selection due to injury, joining Qantas Wallabies regulars David Pocock, Digby Ioane, Pat McCabe and Scott Higginbotham on the sideline.

Beale is set to undergo surgery on his shoulder later this week and will be sidelined for the remainder of the 2013 season, while Palu will be unavailable during the early stages of Australia’s campaign as he continues rehabilitation from surgery to repair damaged meniscus in a knee.

Reds’ winger Rod Davies, Western Force centre Kyle Godwin and Waratahs’ wingers Cam Crawford are also unavailable for selection due to injury.

In finalising his initial 40-man squad, McKenzie has also given priority to players who are committed to Australian Rugby in 2014 and beyond, with many tough selection decisions favouring those players available for Qantas Wallabies selection in years to come.

“We’ve assessed each case on its own merits, but it’s important that we are, where possible, making investments in players that are going to provide value for Australian Rugby over the next few seasons,” McKenzie said.

“That was definitely a major consideration in selecting this training squad.

“With new systems to install, we’ve also put a lot of weight on those players who are healthy and able to contribute fully in training in the lead-up to our opening two Tests.

“There is only a very short period before our first match, so it’s paramount that the players are in a strong position mentally and physically to be investing all their time now into understanding what we are trying to achieve.

“We’re also trying to develop strong combinations and competition across all positions and you can only do that by having players who are available to train and compete.”

The Qantas Wallabies will have just a fortnight to prepare for their opening game against the All Blacks, where a victory could prove decisive in Australia’s quest to win the Bledisloe Cup for the first time since 2002.

The following week in Wellington an opportunity also exists for the Qantas Wallabies to snap a 12-year losing drought against the All Blacks in New Zealand, with Australia’s last victory coming at Dunedin in 2001.

“It’s always going to be challenging when you come up against the number one team in the world, but it also gives you the greatest opportunity to make a statement,” McKenzie said.

“If we want to change where we are in the Rugby landscape, this is a great place to start. Effectively, the Bledisloe Cup is there for the taking if we are good enough over two weekends.

“We’ll have some different thoughts and ideas about how we go about it. The reality is we’ve got to challenge ourselves to do things differently otherwise the outcomes will remain the same.

“We’ll be able to go into that first game in our own backyard, in front of a full house, with some element of surprise. I don’t think that’s a bad situation.”

Tickets for the Qantas Wallabies clash against the All Blacks at ANZ Stadium on Saturday 17 August are on sale now via www.ticketek.com.au

Ben Alexander
    Adam Ashley-Cooper
    Peter Betham
    Quade Cooper
    Nick Cummins
    Dave Dennis
    Kane Douglas
    Anthony Fainga’a
    Saia Fainga’a
    Scott Fardy
    Chris Feauai-Sautia
    Israel Folau
    Bernard Foley
    Will Genia
    Liam Gill
    Mike Harris
    Michael Hooper
    James Horwill
    Sekope Kepu
    Peter Kimlin
    Tevita Kuridrani
    Christian Leali’ifano
    Ben McCalman
    Hugh McMeniman
    Jesse Mogg
    Stephen Moore
    Ben Mowen
    James O’Connor
    Nick Phipps
    Tatafu Polota Nau
    Hugh Pyle
    Benn Robinson
    Paddy Ryan
    Jake Schatz
    Rob Simmons
    Scott Sio
    James Slipper
    Joe Tomane
    Matt Toomua
    Nic White

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    I will pass on our congratulations tomorrow night, to our boys on behalf of TWF... No trouble at all

vCash
    No shock selections in that list, but some long overdue names, particularly from the Brumbies.

Interesting that the net isn't cast widely enough to include Matt Hodgson (probably fair with the number of blokes in the country playing his position) or Pek Cowan (bloody travesty IMHO)

A lot of the typical crocks are there, I hope it's mainly a case of Link not being sure he can get a team up to standard from scratch rather than any particular endorsement of Alexander, Phipps, O'Connor, Dennis, Faingaa (both of them) or Harris.

I'm going to post a list arranged by franchise, who wants to bet that there aren't a million Reds in the team?

C'mon the

vCash
    REDS
    Quade Cooper
    Anthony Fainga’a
    Saia Fainga’a
    Chris Feauai-Sautia

Will Genia
    Liam Gill
    Mike Harris

James Horwill
    Jake Schatz
    Rob Simmons

James Slipper

TAHS
    Adam Ashley-Cooper
    Peter Betham
    Dave Dennis
    Kane Douglas
    Israel Folau
    Bernard Foley

Michael Hooper
    Tatafu Polota Nau
    Benn Robinson
    Sekope Kepu

BRUMBIES
    Ben Alexander
    Scott Fardy
    Peter Kimlin
    Tevita Kuridrani
    Christian Leali’ifano

Jesse Mogg
    Stephen Moore
    Ben Mowen

Paddy Ryan
    Scott Sio
    Joe Tomane
    Matt Toomua
    Nic White

REBELS

James O’Connor
    Nick Phipps

Hugh Pyle

FORCE

Nick Cummins
    Ben McCalman
    Hugh McMeniman

Total
    Reds 11
    Tahs 10
    Brums 13
    Rebels 3
    Force 3

Useless wastes of oxygen
    Reds 6
    Tahs 2
    Brums 2
    Rebels 2
    Force 0

Brumbies have at least found some deserved spots, Hopefully they are used and we don't see a team packed with blokes who couldn't make it past the quarter finals!

C'mon the

vCash
    Its interesting he has gone for someone like Marris and Fainga over Horne.

Say what you will about horne but he has been in really good form this year and has prob been the 3rd best 12 (godwin injured so that bumps his to 2nd) in Aus this year and his ability to player 13 aswell. Would have thought he would have been in the squad to cover 12/13

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Yeah, I thought Harris was the solution to our problems until I saw more of him......good Super Rugby player, fringe international at the VERY best.

That being said, Horne wouldn't be my first choice either. With Quade getting a walk up start at 10, I'd probably put some massive bugger in there to run crash ball, somebody who plays like McCabe, but actually makes a break......thinking that through, It wouldn't be O'Connor or Harris, Maybe Ashley-Cooper would be the man. Throw a lively stepper outside of him, maybe a Leiliifano or Toomua, maybe even O'Connor.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    REBELS
    James O’Connor
    Nick Phipps
    Hugh Pyle

Useless wastes of oxygen
    Rebels 2
    I rate Pyle, so I assume youre saying JoC is a waste of oxygen?!

vCash
    What about Luke Morahan!

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCLE BOOG View Post
    I rate Pyle, so I assume youre saying JoC is a waste of oxygen?!
    I rate Pyle as well

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    What about Luke Morahan!
    He left the Reds for us, Link won't pick him

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I rate Pyle as well
    glad we cleared that up!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    He left the Reds for us, Link won't pick him
    and you can scrub Higgers from any future squads for the same reason!

vCash
    Link woudnt even pick Morahan at the reds so he was no chance.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    and on another note.

Just found out im being sent to Sydney for a show starting on mon 19th of aug. boss had me leaving on the sunday.

Remembered the first Test was on the night before asked to leave a day early and ill pay the extra night. Said not to worry the Company will pay.

BOOM free Trip to Sydney and the Rugby following by a week of shit work talking to people

Last edited by GAFFA; 26-07-13 at 11:53.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    and on another note.

Just found out im being sent to Sydney for a show starting on mon 19th of aug. boss had me leaving on the sunday.

Remembered the first Test was on the night before asked to leave a day early and ill pay the extra night. Said not to worry the Company will pay.

BOOM free Trip to Sydney and the Rugby following by a week of shit work talking to people
    Gotta take the rough with the smooth Gaffa!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast