Thread: Crusaders stars form boy band

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Crusaders stars form boy band

ASHLEIGH STEWART

Last updated 11:19 05/08/2013

After a disappointing semi-final loss cut their Super Rugby journey short, five Crusaders players have regrouped - as New Zealand's answer to One Direction.

Andy Ellis, Israel Dagg, Willi Heinz, Telusa Veainu and Robbie Fruean have temporarily hung up their boots to form boyband C-City Brothers, in aid of the Cystic Fibrosis Association.

Rugby fans can hear the players' dulcet tones and rapping skills from today, with the launch of their first single Never Walk Away now available on iTunes.

An accompanying video clip has made its way onto Youtube, showing the boys on the pitch and in the recording studio.

All proceeds from the sale of the single will be donated to the Cystic Fibrosis Association.

"The Crusaders has had a long association with Cystic Fibrosis and they do great work in the community," Ellis said.

The Crusaders halfback noted inspiration to form the group came from childhood heroes such as the Backstreet Boys and Westlife.

"We are hoping that this is the start of a long career in the music industry. Since I was a little boy I have dreamed of being in a boy band," he said.

Heinz, who credits Elvis and Sam Cook as his musical inspirations, was lucky to have talent in his blood.

He will be following in the musical footsteps of father Bob Heinz, a Christchurch jazz musician.

Dagg noted the selection process to get into C-City Brothers was fierce.

"Andy held auditions and all members of the Crusaders gave it a go. At the end though, he was in awe of our skills."

Ellis was disappointed at having to turn down the skills of Wyatt Crockett and Luke Romano, and George Whitelock who was "a great baritone".

Chief executive of Cystic Fibrosis NZ, Kate Russell, said Never Walk Away was bound to be a "stellar hit".

"Everyone at Cystic Fibrosis NZ has known for a long time just how talented these guys are on and off the field, but to have them using their talent to help us in our work for people with CF is just so heart-warming."

Ellis penned the song himself, inspired by "the strength of the people of Canterbury after the earthquakes and the closeness of the Crusaders as a team", and other band members wrote the rap.

Acclaimed New Zealand musician Jason Kerrison, of Kiwi bands Opshop and The Babysitter's Circus, collaborated with the C-City Brothers, writing original music for the song.

Ellis hoped the song made it to number one on the charts, saying the "boys would be stoked".

"A lot of people have helped the band and we want to thank them for the time they have given up. We really want this single to be a success and raise a lot of money for the Cystic Fibrosis Association," he said.

The C-City Brothers were now pursuing the idea of live performance opportunities throughout summer.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/9...-form-boy-band

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    oh. my. god. :|

vCash
    In the words of Dr Evil:
    Rrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiggghhhttt

Top effort though. Hope they raise a fair bit!
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCLE BOOG View Post
    oh. my. god. :|
    Pretty much Good effort though

Senior Player
    vCash
    Well done lads a very worthwhile cause and one very close to my own heart as my wife's cousin has CF. My wife is a carrier of the gene and it means that one of my three children will also carry the gene. Lets hope we can find a cure.

vCash
    They didn't get our Nathan on backing vocals? The one professional rugby player in world (I think) with cystic fibrosis!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon