Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Richie McCaw - the G.O.A.T.

vCash
    There has to be an on field component, but services to the game and overall gentlemany conduct would have to count in rugby.

Richie is an awesome player, but he's pretty arrogant and very dismissive of the opposition's efforts. Has anybody ever heard him say they were beaten by the better team? nope, it is always Yeah we didn't turn up, we made a lot of mistakes, we're going to have to work on that.....end of interview.

Not a good look for the GOAT I call Eales (because the others who would be eligible are before my time) I also think Farr-Jones has to be there or thereabouts.

For the black
    Anybody remember Tana Umaga? Taine Randell? Andrew Mehrtens? and probably a bunch of ones I haven't seen play.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Not the greatest of all time but Jonah probably had more of an impact on the game than anyone I have ever seen. Just for one player to be so dominant was incredible.

Champion
    vCash
    Campo, Colin Meads, Danie Craven ????

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    Not the greatest of all time but Jonah probably had more of an impact on the game than anyone I have ever seen. Just for one player to be so dominant was incredible.
    Funnily enough, Jonah was the first name that jumped into my head, but I rejected him in favour of blokes with a longer career.

Maybe he is the one?

C'mon the

vCash
    John Eales' character was never more on show than with his sideline kick to win the 2000 Bledisloe, unless it was his constant humility despite his achievements. IIRC he had not taken the other shots that day. Was that Stirling Mortlock? In any event he stepped up and calmly slotted one of the greatest pressure kicks ever taken. By the greatest player I have seen.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player
    vCash
    GIGS20 take your point about being gracious in defeat but how often do the AB's lose!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    John Eales' character was never more on show than with his sideline kick to win the 2000 Bledisloe, unless it was his constant humility despite his achievements. IIRC he had not taken the other shots that day. Was that Stirling Mortlock? In any event he stepped up and calmly slotted one of the greatest pressure kicks ever taken. By the greatest player I have seen.
    Yeah Stirlo was off injured. Eales opted for the penalty before he knew. He was the only other recognised kicker that day so he took the shot
    Posted via Mobile Device

Senior Player
    vCash
    I would say Martin Johnson would be up there in the all time greats

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    I would say Martin Johnson would be up there in the all time greats
    And Jonny without an h too

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    There has to be an on field component, but services to the game and overall gentlemany conduct would have to count in rugby.

Richie is an awesome player, but he's pretty arrogant and very dismissive of the opposition's efforts. Has anybody ever heard him say they were beaten by the better team? nope, it is always Yeah we didn't turn up, we made a lot of mistakes, we're going to have to work on that.....end of interview.

Not a good look for the GOAT I call Eales (because the others who would be eligible are before my time) I also think Farr-Jones has to be there or thereabouts.

For the black
    Anybody remember Tana Umaga? Taine Randell? Andrew Mehrtens? and probably a bunch of ones I haven't seen play.
    Thanking you for writing this GIGS.

I have been trying to figure out my thoughts for this thread for the last couple of days.

I had for the most part, only considered the on field activities of John Eales and Richie McCaw.

My memories of John Eales was of occasional spectacular highlights but primarily that of a component of the engine room that did the hard work all day long.

Where as Richie McCaw (Offside more often then not and all round cheating bastard) has basically redefined the role of Openside Flanker and is a game changer and a focal point for 80 minutes.

But if we are talking about an Ambassador to the game. Someone that you take to meet your Grandmother - then its John Eales all the way.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post

Where as Richie McCaw (Offside more often then not and all round cheating bastard) has basically redefined the role of Openside Flanker and is a game changer and a focal point for 80 minutes.
    I would probably credit Michael Jones with that. His speed to the breakdown was second to none. Hit like a Mack Truck and played as a runner/link man with the ball . Added to that he was just as adept at blindside.
    I think McCaw is #1 in the NZ psyche because he captained the team that finally got thr RWC monkey off their back. At home and most recently.
    Even then I'd rate a couple of others pretty close as skipper especially Buck Shelford. The best 8 to play the game IMO.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Thanking you for writing this GIGS.

I have been trying to figure out my thoughts for this thread for the last couple of days.
    Only too happy to help Ex, but you realize that's only my opinion, which means less than nothing to people like Mudskipper and RM.

Eales doesn't play for the Brumbies, so he'd definitely be out for Muddy, but he might get a vote from RM since he doesn't play for Cott or Wests.

C'mon the

vCash
    I'm not even going to put my nominations in yet.
    I might upset a few with some N H names and even a Blanco or to.
    I think that since 95 the whole physie and mentality of a professional player has changed. You now have players training all year round and being mediocre or some who have trained all year around and are fantastic.
    In the 60's 70's 80's you had guys that had full time jobs trained once a week and played on Saturday.
    Not knowing any Au or NZ from that era I will carry on debating with my self.
    I must admit I'm between a South African and a Welsh man.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    I must admit I'm between a South African and a Welsh man.
    Sounds like fun SNOB!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2