Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hampshire Medal

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash

Hampshire Medal

Congratulations to Palmyra's Joe Savage in winning the top award in WA rugby.

I wll leave it to someone more tech savvy than I to attach the full RugbyWA write up, hopefully.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Palmyra's Savage claims 2013 PG Hampshire Award

By RugbyWA Media Unit

2013 PG Hampshire Awards Winner Joe Savage
    Palmyra prop Joe Savage has been recognised as the 2013 Pindan Premier Grade’s most outstanding player after receiving the PG Hampshire Award at the RugbyWA Awards Breakfast this morning.

Savage’s consistency at the set piece ensured Palmyra’s front-row was one of the toughest in the competition and his powerful general play helped him cross for 13 tries this season, including a hat-trick against UWA in Round Three.

The PG Hampshire Award is voted upon by referees on a 3-2-1 basis, with Savage claiming maximum points on four occasions and polling in nine of the 17 games he played during the season to finish with 21 points.

Savage took the tally board lead in Round 9 and held it for the remainder of the season with Cottesloe scrumhalf and 2014 Emirates Western Force recruit Ryan Louwrens finishing runner-up with 16 points.

The inaugural Championship First Grade Player of the Year was won by Joondalup Brothers flyhalf Carlos Waretini, finishing with 14 points. Waretini was the go-to kicker for the Joondalup side and polled in five games this season, taking the maximum points on four occasions.

Coach of the Year Award was presented to Wests Scarborough’s First Grade coach, Dwayne Grace, who took his side to the finals in the club’s first year following their move to Bennett Park. Wests Scarborough qualified for their first finals series since 2006, defeating Palmyra in their minor semi-final before narrowly missing out on a grand final berth, falling just short of Cottesloe despite a blazing 22-point comeback.

UWA fullback, Christian Joubert claimed the competition’s Top Try Scorer after crossing the chalk 16 times in 12 matches this season including braces against Wests Scarborough, Nedlands, Rockingham and Wanneroo in Rounds Six, Seven, 11 and 17 respectively.

Versatile Rockingham back Andrew Smith contributed to the scoreboard in every game for his side this season to take out the Top Points Scorer award. Smith crossed for seven tries, including a double in the 30-17 victory over Associates in Round 12, and booted 26 conversions and 22 penalties to finish with 153 points for the season.

The competition’s Most Improved Player went to Kalamunda flanker, Lukas Birch, who made a return from a recent shoulder reconstruction and transition into the forwards to hold down a starting role and remain a consistent performer for the Bulls during the 2013 season.

Cottesloe flyhalf and Australian Sevens squad member Natasha Haines was identified as the Women’s Best and Fairest player ahead of her side’s grand final against Wanneroo on Saturday.

Western Australian Rugby Union Referees Association Secretary, Julie Skiba was recognised for her commitment to rugby with Life Membership to RugbyWA. Skiba has been officiating rugby union for many years and was the second female to be accredited as a referee in New Zealand at the age of 16. She spent 10 years on the Western Australian Junior Rugby Union Executive Committee and is currently on the Senior Referee Executive, undertaking all administrative tasks and appointing referees for 45 senior and over 100 junior games every weekend.

Referee Graham Cooper received the Referee Award for his consistency with officiating games this season and will officiate the Pindan premier Grade Grand Final on Sunday. Cooper has had a standout year with the whistle, assistant refereeing Super Rugby matches between the Reds and Sharks (Week 13), and Waratahs and Brumbies (Week 14). He was recently appointed to the IRB Sevens Referee Development Panel for the upcoming 2013/14 season.

Cottesloe was crowned 2013 Premiership Club Champions with four of their eight teams finishing in the top four of their respective grades, including the minor premiers in both the Pindan Premier Grade and Reserve Grade.

The 2013 Championship Club Champions was Curtin Uni, who finished minor premiers in the second and third grades and second in the first grade. All three teams also made it to the grand finals on Saturday.

The Champion Club – which takes into consideration the performances at both senior and junior level – was won by Palmyra.

See the photos of the awards winners here.

2013 PG Hampshire Award – Points Tally
    21 –Joe Savage (Palmyra)
    16 – Ryan Louwrens (Cottesloe)
    14 – Pierre Roberts (Wests Scarborough)
    12 – Anare Koliavu (Kalamunda)
    12 – Andrew Smith (Rockingham)
    12 – Luke Burton (UWA)
    11 – Michael Ruru (Nedlands)
    11 – Sean Martin (Cottesloe)
    11 – Teava Terangi (Wests Scarborough)
    10 – Tobias Hoskins (Cottesloe)
    10 – Ethan Carlisle (UWA)

PG Hampshire Award – Previous Winners
    2013 – Joe Savage (Palmyra)
    2012 – Nick Haining (Cottesloe)
    2011 – Anare Koliavu (Palmyra)
    2010 – David Cloete (Cottesloe)
    2009 – David Cloete (Cottesloe)
    2008 – Ryan Tyrrell (Rockingham)
    2007 – Nathan Roberts (Nedlands)

2013 RugbyWA Awards - Award Recipients
    PG Hampshire Award: Joe Savage (Palmyra)
    Championship Player of the Year: Carols Waretini (Joondalup Brothers)
    Coach Award: Dwayne Grace (Wests Scarborough)
    Top Try Scorer: Christian Joubert (UWA)
    Top Point Scorer: Andrew Smith (Rockingham)
    Most Improved Player: Lukas Birch (Kalamunda)
    Best Colt Player (U20): Luke Burton (UWA) and Ollie Hoskins (Cottesloe)
    Women’s Best & Fairest: Natasha Haines (Cottesloe)
    Referee Award: Graham Cooper
    Life Membership: Julie Skiba (WA Referees Association)
    Premiership Club Champions: Cottesloe
    Championship Club Champions: Curtin Uni
    Champion Club: Palmyra

RugbyWA Senior Grade Grand Final Fixtures
    Saturday, 31 August 2013
    11.00am – Championship 3rd Grade: Curtin Uni v Bunbury Barbarians
    12.00pm – Women’s: Cottesloe v Wanneroo
    12.30pm – Premiership 5th Grade: Cottesloe Blue v Associates
    1.40pm – Championship 2nd Grade: ARKS v Curtin Uni
    2.00pm – Premiership 4th Grade: UWA v Nedlands
    3.30pm – Premiership 3rd Grade: Nedlands v Palmyra
    3.30pm – Championship 1st Grade: Curtin Uni v ARKS

Sunday, 1 September 2013
    10.30am – Goodlife Health Clubs Under 18s: Palmyra v Mandurah
    12.00pm – Goodlife Health Clubs Under 20s: UWA v Associates
    1.40pm – Reserve Grade: Wests Scarborough v Palmyra
    3.30pm – Pindan Premier: Nedlands v Cottesloe

About the PG Hampshire Award
    Percy George Hampshire was a long time passionate promoter of rugby and served as an administrator and President of the WARU after moving to Western Australia from NSW in 1919. He completed six terms as President (1946-51) and 23 years as Patron (1946-68). The first PG Hampshire Award was presented in 1949. Mr Hampshire was born on 3 June 1885 and died on 11 August 1968, aged 83

http://www.westernforce.com.au/NewsE...4/Default.aspx

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Champion
    vCash
    Congrats to a well deserved award. Good to see the engine room get noticed.

Nice to hear he reckons he still has another 5 years in Premiergrade.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Why isn't this Joe playing Super 15? if he was won this award back to back surely can't be a talent issue?

vCash
    Really good write up

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    Why isn't this Joe playing Super 15? if he was won this award back to back surely can't be a talent issue?
    He has only won it this year. I think he used to play for the Cheifs. Great recruiting from Paly...

----------------------------------

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    Congrats to a well deserved award. Good to see the engine room get noticed.

Nice to hear he reckons he still has another 5 years in Premiergrade.
    Sounds like Hansie has been sniffing around to see if his current club is looking after him!

Champion
    vCash
    Okay people I'm am now going to confess and reveal my true identity.

I am Dwanye Grace[pugs] coach of Wests Scarborough 1st grade and today was named coach of the year at the awards. I feel like a fraud because I took the credit for Wests showing this season and in actual fact all credit should go to Greg Plimmer and my manager Dean McKee. They are the ones who selected the team each week, conducted all the training sessions and analysed opposition teams. Because they both have rather ordinary heads I was put in place as a figurehead in order to attract more sponsors etc and to not scare away any potential players and supporters.

My role was keep the water bottles full and wash the jerseys. I can only apologise for my fraudulent behaviour and hope my award will remain to be recognised as I am chasing Cott's coaching job next season.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Great, you'll be able to bring across to them the only Force players Cott don't already have ...

vCash
    But why not apply for the Force A job, why settle for Force B, Pugs?

vCash
    Actually, I thought that McKee guy looked quite presentable, but boy, did he suck as a manager!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Okay people I'm am now going to confess and reveal my true identity.
    in that case, congrats Pugs, even undeserved recognition is sweet!

C'mon the

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    You done yet, Fulvio?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Like a dinner.

That was a joke post, right?

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Actually, I thought that McKee guy looked quite presentable, but boy, did he suck as a manager!
    Sorry but he's married

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast