Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Force may withdraw interest in James O'Connor pending outcome of ARU investig

Senior Player
    vCash

Western Force may withdraw interest in James O'Connor pending outcome of ARU investig

WESTERN Force could potentially withdraw their interest in James O’Connor based on the outcome of an Australian Rugby Union investigation into the Perth airport incident.

Head of the ARU integrity department, Phil Thomson, is due to interview O’Connor today after the 23-year-old was denied entry on a flight to Bali on Sunday for being intoxicated, and was later removed from the airport by police.

The Force, who are the only Australian franchise interested in contracting O’Connor for next year, announced yesterday it was monitoring developments.

"The Western Force club is aware of the reports regarding James O’Connor and is awaiting the outcome of an investigation being conducted by the ARU," a spokesman said.

O’Connor and his former club had all-but been agreed to terms some weeks ago, and a signed deal was waiting for the 23-year-old to finish negotiating a top-up contract with the ARU.

It is understood the findings of the ARU probe could be a deal-breaker, however.

But after conversations between O’Connor and the Force began with the youngster making confronting admissions about his behaviour and habits, the airport matter is being regarded seriously by the club.

While the Force are desperate to recruit Wallaby talent — particularly for publicity and crowd-pulling power — concerns about the impact of ongoing disciplinary issues from O’Connor damaging team culture is a concern to players.

Wallaby teammate Ben McCalman said recently: "He was very successful when he was here a few years ago.

"He’s a great player to have on the field. He’s very skilful, with natural talent.

"But in saying that, we’ve worked very hard over the last year to set values and standards through captain Matt Hodgson and the senior players.

"We’d love to have him here, but not at the cost of compromising what we’ve already set up. Hopefully he sorts those things out and he ends up here."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

vCash
    I'm still thinking it's a massive media beat up.
    But this could be one too many...
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I don't think anybody is saying this 'incident' is worthy of mention as anything other than the straw Jono.

Even Sharpie said pretty much that last night and he was essentially calling for JOC to be strung up.

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    I am at a loss to understand how some players can commit so many breaches of standards and everyone gets around them and can't do enough to get them 'on the straight and narrow' yet other players commit a similar number or less breaches yet get thrown to the wolves

Someone please explain that one to me

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    generation i

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Return on investment

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Inside Sport made a good observation - why aren't other countries having such big problems with Generation Y... you know, the ones that are beating us?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I don't think anybody is saying this 'incident' is worthy of mention as anything other than the straw Jono.

Even Sharpie said pretty much that last night and he was essentially calling for JOC to be strung up.
    At the risk of paraphrasing. It's been said he was upto more of his antics, or being an idiot. When realistically for all we know he had every right to be frustrated.
    It's crucifixion by media - the same media who whinge and bitch when we're not winning games are chasing away the stars of the game.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Inside Sport made a good observation - why aren't other countries having such big problems with Generation Y... you know, the ones that are beating us?
    I think this goes to the core of what is wrong with Rugby in Aus we have no real elder statesmen’s.

We are so eager to find the next big thing the older blokes get pushed out. We don’t have a McCaw, Thorn or Mealamu setting the tone its young blokes leading young blokes.

How hard did deans try to get rid of Sharpe he got Gits and Smith to leave.

The leaders of the team are all very young and I would say they are al very chummy as they have grown up together and have come through the ranks at the same time. There wouldnt be any real hierarchy within the team that your trying to impress.

Imagine Poey sitting JOC or Cooper down and reading them the riot act...they have been together since they were 15 nothing being said would really sink in, w here as imagine Sharpy or Smith sitting you down and ripping you a new ear, just like when you first get you crack in first grade all you want to do is impress the old blokes…we have no old blokes in the team.

Last edited by GAFFA; 20-09-13 at 10:41.
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    In Rugby Union I would suggest the relatively small talent pool meaning people with continued problems like JO'C have to persisted with in the hope they will one day pull their head in.

Whilst I'm happy to see what the ARU integrity unit have to say about the situation it genuinely sounds like he has run out of chances.

How many chances do players need to not be a dickhead?

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    It's crucifixion by media - the same media who whinge and bitch when we're not winning games are chasing away the stars of the game.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I do agree with this as well, being out to 4am getting a burger is a media beat up. Having the Federal Police come and deal with you is probably not

vCash
    And to continue on I don’t think Melbourne has any real older leaders all they had was Delve.

That’s why I really want to see JOC at the Force let Hodgo, Pek, Alby, MMM and Foley sort him out give him a 1 year contract with a option for a second if he pulls his head in. If they cant control him then no one will be able to.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    I think we all need to get off of our high horses here and wait for the truth to come out. I would love to see JOC at the Force next year! We NEED players with his skill and vision. He just needs a good spanking once a week to knock the stupid out of him.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    sorry Flying14, while we need players with skill and vision - he brings baggage which out weighs
    all of his talents.

I've said it before many times, he's got talent, but at the end of the day it's all about him!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying 14 View Post
    I think we all need to get off of our high horses here and wait for the truth to come out.
    How do you know it is not the truth and if not when do you expect we can get this information and how will we know it is the truth then?

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast