Thread: Jane back as All Blacks make three changes

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Jane back as All Blacks make three changes

By Daniel Gilhooly,
    AAP
    October 17, 2013, 10:19 am

Gently does it is not usually the Cory Jane way.

Yet All Blacks coach Steve Hansen wants exactly that when the 30-year-old makes his remarkable return to Test rugby in Dunedin on Saturday.

When Jane wrenched his knee at Hurricanes pre-season training in January, he was regarded an outside chance to return for New Zealand's year-end tour of Europe.

Instead, he will start the third Bledisloe Cup Test against Australia, having done enough in a game-and-a-half of provincial rugby to convince Hansen he is close to his former status as one of the world's premier wingers.

"He hasn't lost any form while he's been injured. What he has lost is time in the jersey," Hansen said.

"Cory needs to not do everything at 100 miles an hour. Just be patient and trust his instincts particularly, because they're very, very good."

The 43-Test veteran is one of three changes and a positional switch from the side which started the 38-27 win over South Africa at Johannesburg two weeks ago.

Jane's return, made possible by Ben Smith's shift to centre to replace Conrad Smith - who has begun a four-month break from rugby - were signposted by Hansen.

More unexpected are the promotion of lock Jeremy Thrush and hooker Keven Mealamu for their first starts of the season in place of in-form pair Brodie Retallick and Andrew Hore.

Thrush's three bench appearances in his debut international year have totalled just 24 minutes.

Hansen says Retallick was in need of break, while Thrush has the chance to prove himself.

"He's had some little cameos off the bench and done well. It's time for us to find out a little bit more about Jeremy and the way we can do that is by starting him.

"He's earned the right to have a crack."

Mealamu's 108th Test follows five bench appearances this year, with Dane Coles retained as reserve hooker and Hore dropped completely.

Hansen says 34-year-old Mealamu is better-suited to the mobile game of the Wallabies while 35-year-old Hore is ideal against the more confrontational Springboks.

Jane's return and the promotion of Thrush is bad news for Auckland youngsters Charles Piutau and Steven Luatua, who have stood out in their debut seasons but can't make the bench this week.

Three members of a grizzled All Blacks starting pack have played more than 100 Tests, with Mealamu lining up alongside captain Richie McCaw (120 caps) and prop Tony Woodcock (104).

New Zealand are seeking a 10th straight win this year under coach Steve Hansen and a clean sweep of the Bledisloe Cup series after winning the first two Tests in Sydney (47-29) and Wellington (27-16) in August.

All Blacks: Israel Dagg, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Julian Savea, Aaron Cruden, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (capt), Liam Messam, Sam Whitelock, Jeremy Thrush, Charlie Faumuina, Keven Mealamu, Tony Woodcock. Reserves: Dane Coles, Wyatt Crockett, Ben Franks, Brodie Retallick, Sam Cane, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Beauden Barrett, Tom Taylor.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...three-changes/

But without Ben Smith, who is going to score all their tries

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Ben Smith is starting at outside centre while Conrad Smith starts a 3 month sabbatical (Holiday, work & study) as he's a Lawyer
    Posted via Mobile Device

Champion
    vCash
    While we're on the subject of Conrad Smith apparently he makes it his mission every season to be the first to pay his club fees at Petone although he never get's to play for them.A few more professional players would want to take a leaf out of his book and get back to good old fashioned values

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    McCaw and Jane out of the Test

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    McCaw and Jane out of the Test
    You know what? I don't think it matters!

C'mon the

vCash
    McCaw matters...He is corporeal when it comes to the Refs policing the breakdown.. they just look right through him as he snaffles and obstructs quick release ball. Others might be just as bad, but he, for some reason, seems to get away with it more than most

vCash
    I still say it will be a light work out for the ABs...with or without McCaw... Hoping to find something "live" down here in Denmark

Champion
    vCash
    I actually think the wallabies will give a real solid account of themselves tomorrow.They have gone into lockdown and will give it a real shake.I smell danger.Zimeric get over it and be thankful you were in the era that saw the worlds best loosie define the game of rugby

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    I think this is the best promo i have ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjnK...e_gdata_player
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    McCaw matters...He is corporeal when it comes to the Refs policing the breakdown.. they just look right through him as he snaffles and obstructs quick release ball. Others might be just as bad, but he, for some reason, seems to get away with it more than most
    Oh, OK, I stand corrected, he will be the difference between a 50 point drubbing and an 80 point drubbing.

Yes, I know he's invisible in the eyes of the law, but even of the game was referred fairly, all of the AllBlack first stringers were out with food poisoning and the Wallabies had their best game in five years I think we'd lose.

It makes the names on the team sheet pretty immaterial really!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    I actually think the wallabies will give a real solid account of themselves tomorrow.They have gone into lockdown and will give it a real shake.I smell danger.Zimeric get over it and be thankful you were in the era that saw the worlds best loosie define the game of rugby
    must be a kiwi talking like that, no-one else brownnoses him like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    I think this is the best promo i have ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjnK...e_gdata_player
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Very good Promo But

Its real good that the Kiwis have to promo a game with the all blacks like that shows the NZ public might be getting a little pissed with game of rugby of late.
    Netball has really got a great following over the past few yrs since the Ozzie diamonds have held the trans tasman cup for the last few yrs

Champion
    vCash
    Netball is for girls

vCash

this wasnt you was it JO

Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    I still say it will be a light work out for the ABs...with or without McCaw... Hoping to find something "live" down here in Denmark
    http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...-hotel-police/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    Was that you causing a riot last night Hertryk?

May the FORCE be with you!