Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Has the haka had its day?

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    [youtube]weUHwCjeD7s[/youtube]

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    I like all of the pre-match challenges, my favourite is the Samoan Siva Tau; but I think there's too much going on before the haka starts nowadays; it's starting to get a little long.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I like all of the pre-match challenges, my favourite is the Samoan Siva Tau; but I think there's too much going on before the haka starts nowadays; it's starting to get a little long.
    You mean like the cameras being set up, the microphones being placed and sound checked, the cultural coordinators managing the thing, waiting for the appropriate respectful hush to fall over the crowd, waiting for the opposing team to start doubting their ability, waiting for the assigned deep breathing exercises and eye rolling to charge up the Kiwis, ensuring the appropriate amount of adrenaline has made it into their bloodstream and holding for the extended first note from the assigned haka leader?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    You mean like the cameras being set up, the microphones being placed and sound checked, the cultural coordinators managing the thing, waiting for the appropriate respectful hush to fall over the crowd, waiting for the opposing team to start doubting their ability, waiting for the assigned deep breathing exercises and eye rolling to charge up the Kiwis, ensuring the appropriate amount of adrenaline has made it into their bloodstream and holding for the extended first note from the assigned haka leader?
    I was talking about the endless walking around, posturing and caterwauling before any of the respective challenges start; but yeah, I'll go with your list too!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    So did every Kiwi,everyone I spoke to loved it
    And that's what I heard but the IRB seem to be kill joys though. If they allow the Haka the opposition should be allowed to reply as they wish.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    I really got over it during the World Cup. There was almost more renditions of the haka than there was games.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    As part of a Test Match - particularly the Bledisloe - I really enjoy the Haka. I love the tradition of it and what it represents.

I believe that if the Haka is to continue as a part of World Rugby than they should only be allowed to do the traditional Haka - Ka Mate.

Whilst the new Haka - Kapa O Pango as a spectacle is cool to watch, throat slitting gesture and all, as I understand it only brought out for special occasions or special opposition. I fail to see how a choreographed dance that was invented some 10 years ago is tradition.

I believe that the IRB and New Zealand need to get off their high horse and stop reacting to every response to the Haka. Every Nation should be able to have a right of reply to the Challenge that the Haka is.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    I believe that the IRB and New Zealand need to get off their high horse and stop reacting to every response to the Haka. Every Nation should be able to have a right of reply to the Challenge that the Haka is.
    Maybe they're working with the same attitude as they do when reffing. You can only make the calls that the NZRFU consider appropriate!

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Absolutely no issue whatsoever with that one, or indeed the Haka in general, but when it's used in the way the All Blacks use it....getting precious about how your enemy responds to it, making them stand on their perfect little spot and regard the performance with the perfect expression of mixed respect, fear and awe on their faces.

To get the IRB involved, fining teams who seek a way to respond to that challenge in a way that is appropriate to their own team culture seems (in my very limited understanding) to disrespect the whole idea of the very haka they are performing.

If the war dance were intimidating or in any way challenging, surely they wouldn't need official protocols to force an international rugby team to pay it regard, they would more likely need protocols to stop a fight breaking out.

So why are teams sanctioned for looking away, warming up or anything else. I think anything beyond stepping over the halfway line should be on the table for both teams.

It'd be great to see a Scottish team raise their kilts in response, or an African team wave spears. It wouldn't be so great to see the Irish get pissed and start a bar fight, the Aussies lean on a post and flip the bird or the French run and hide in the change rooms, but other teams shouldn't have their culture squashed just because the 'mighty All Blacks' have deigned to enter the field!

C'mon the

vCash
    It'd be great to see a Scottish team raise their kilts in response, or an African team wave spears. It wouldn't be so great to see the Irish get pissed and start a bar fight, the Aussies lean on a post and flip the bird or the French run and hide in the change rooms, but other teams shouldn't have their culture squashed just because the 'mighty All Blacks' have deigned to enter the field!
    I find that it gives me an opportunity to grab a beer before the game starts ... as it bores me silly. When a team did front up & I believe Mr. Moore of old England fame did something similar, the trouble starts ... why not let them do it if they really have to instead of their National Anthem.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Another classic example..............

Stirring haka a symbolic moment for Sonny Bill

DAVID LONG IN MANCHESTER

Last updated 05:03 29/11/2013

Sonny Bill Williams was close to tears after being crowned international rugby league player of the year at a ceremony in Manchester yesterday.

Not because he beat the two other players on the shortlist, Scotland's Danny Brough and Australian superstar Greg Inglis, but because his New Zealand team-mates performed a haka for him as he stood on stage. As soon as it was announced that Williams had won league's top prize for an individual player, all of the Kiwis moved to the back of the function room at the Lowry Hotel in Manchester, where the awards ceremony was being held.

Then, as soon as he was presented with the trophy, and after he did a quick interview, the players launched into a stirring haka in his honour.

Williams said it was an incredibly emotional sight.

"It was definitely the best part of the night for myself," Williams said. "When I retire, that's what I'll miss, that feeling of knowing you've given it all but also knowing that you've got your brothers' respect.

"I can't remember the last time I cried, but I was definitely a bit teary up there, just seeing the brothers get up there and show that respect.

"Like I said to them straight away, one more week, hopefully I can put in another strong performance for the brothers and for the Kiwis."

Respect has been a constant theme for Williams throughout this World Cup. He may have entered it in controversial circumstances, with Melbourne youngster Tohu Harris having to make way for him, but he has been a sensation on and off the field for the team.

He may be the most well-known, richest and best player in the Kiwis squad, but being accepted as just one of the lads is what has made this tournament such a special experience for him.

"I wasn't really teary until I saw the boys do the haka," he said. "That means the world to me.

"I felt that after the way I left the game I lost a lot of respect, but this year, the way I tried to carry myself, I tried to get across the real me and the biggest thing is earning the respect of my fellow players and coaches. That's why I was a bit emotional at the end there. You don't get a haka done to you from the brothers if they don't respect you."

Personally, he had found peace of mind in himself as a man.

"My religion has obviously played a big part in that. But also, just keeping things simple and not getting too far ahead of myself, thinking about what I've got to do today, rather than thinking about tomorrow or the next day.

"Simplicity is the key and obviously it's worked this year for myself."

Meanwhile, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck won the award for winger of the year, Issac Luke was hooker of the year and Williams, unsurprisingly, was second-rower of the year.

AWARD WINNERS

International Player of the Year: Sonny Bill Williams (Sydney Roosters and New Zealand); International Coach of the Year: Trent Robinson (Sydney Roosters and Australia); International Rookie of the Year: George Burgess (South Sydney Rabbitohs and England); International Referee of the Year: Ben Cummins (Australia); Spirit of Rugby League Award: Maurice Oldroyd.

INTERNATIONAL TEAM OF THE YEAR

Fullback: Greg Inglis (South Sydney and Australia); winger: Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (Sydney Roosters and New Zealand); centre: Jamie Lyon (Manly); five-eighth: Danny Brough (Huddersfield Giants and Scotland); halfback: Daly Cherry-Evans (Manly and Australia); prop: Sam Burgess (South Sydney and England); hooker: Issac Luke (South Sydney and New Zealand); second row: Sonny Bill Williams (Sydney Roosters and New Zealand); lock: Corey Parker (Brisbane Broncos and Australia).

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/...for-Sonny-Bill

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    There was an ad for whisky where the Scots raised their kilts to the Kiwis.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Like the one in Post #11 BnB

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    Only my personal view, but since the haka is a new zealand cultural and important event. It means more to them and has most significance for the kiwis. Do it in the sheds before you run out onto the field. Savour the event among those who respect and understand it the most.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast