Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: National Rugby Championship set to excite fans and develop elite players in 2014 and

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Looks like the Woodies will have to buddy up with Harbour, Parra and Penrith.
    I imagine they would expect competition from Balmain too who are moving to Leichardt Oval next year.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    I imagine they would expect competition from Balmain too who are moving to Leichardt Oval next year.
    I know they have aspirations that way. They look to have some real go-getters in their admin who have sucessfully improved their profile considering they are a subbies outfit.

But this will be a hell of a leap for the Tiges. They will need an impressive and substantial bid.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    From what I've seen and heard so far, 8-10 teams is what is being bandied about but I don't think this is a final number. It is pretty much down to the groups doing the tenders to make their bids compelling enough to force inclusion. You could easily end up with Nth Bris, Sth Bris, Qld Country, Nth Shore, Sth Harbour, West Sydney, Sydney Uni, Nsw Country, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide. Financial viability would be the key factor.
    Yes, but financial viability will be a tough nut to crack with a (predominantly) east cost comp that involves not the Force and Adelaide...the more Sydney clue we have, the more flights across the null arbor will be required.

C'mon the

vCash
    I can't see them going with more then 8 teams to start the competiton off

Handful of Sydney and Brisbane sides as well as Melbourne, Canberra and Perth.

Other sides should come later as the comp grows it's own profile and proves to be financially stable

Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Yes, but financial viability will be a tough nut to crack with a (predominantly) east cost comp that involves not the Force and Adelaide...the more Sydney clue we have, the more flights across the null arbor will be required.
    Adelaide is already on the other side of the nullabor

vCash
    I wonder if Randwick could go it alone?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    The flipside is that with 9 - one team had a bye each week. Reducing the fight for broadcasting, and allowing a team that's just flown across the country a rest.

Obviously this would still leave a team from WA at a disadvantage because we're not based around the concentration of everyone else. But we've generally adapted to that pretty well.

Also Adelaide gives Another stop on the way to or from WA.

I'm also thinking long term here, but it would be cool to are a 3rd tier 3N comp if we can keep this viable
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    There's one thing that bothers me about what's been said so far. Fox is backing it but will only show one game per week. Another missed opportunity for some FTA coverage to grow the audience. Unless there is a possibility for other organisations to take some of the other games.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    There's one thing that bothers me about what's been said so far. Fox is backing it but will only show one game per week. Another missed opportunity for some FTA coverage to grow the audience. Unless there is a possibility for other organisations to take some of the other games.
    Thats a good point

I would hope the ARU are going to suss out some FTA coverage or will this just be Foxtel's play thing

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Shasta, mate, I could be wrong but I thought the deal was for one game Live per week, giving the impression that their might be more shown at later times.

I agree that FTA would be ideal to grow our game - but you have to go where the money is. Besides if we dont get it on FOXTEL - we miss out on Kearnsy, Marto and Kaifs scintillating commentary

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Yeah, there really has to be some sort of free-to-air involved, the time for pay-tv only coverage is long gone.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Sort of had it out with Clarkie on twitter the other day. I'm assured that WA will get coverage...
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I've read that Randwick is expected to team up with the University of NSW (as opposed to Sydney Uni) for a bid while Newcastle has also apparently submitted an EOI.

That Gordon/Manly/Norths/Warringah bid will have some nice grounds to choose from...
    Chatswood Oval: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ay_morning.jpg
    Manly Oval: http://www.dgsundin.com.au/projects/...nly_oval02.jpg
    North Sydney Oval: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ydneyOval1.jpg
    Pittwater Park: http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/p...pittwater1.jpg

Last edited by beige; 12-12-13 at 22:54.

Veteran
    vCash
    I would pay for a web-based subscription to watch the spirit games, assuming they aren't trying rip me off

vCash
    Since Foxtel is footing the bill (or most of it) the chance of FTA coverage would be remote.

Foxsports have committed to one game live per week but Pulver was hopeful of more in one of his recent interviews.

As for "more east coast teams means more travel" - I had the impression that travel and accomodation costs was coming out of the Foxtel money?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Since Foxtel is footing the bill (or most of it) the chance of FTA coverage would be remote.

Foxsports have committed to one game live per week but Pulver was hopeful of more in one of his recent interviews.

As for "more east coast teams means more travel" - I had the impression that travel and accomodation costs was coming out of the Foxtel money?
    FTA doesn't have the money or real estate that foxtel has to splash on tournaments like this, a FTA channel isn't going to pay what Foxtel would pay.. Depending on the success of the comp its a fairly realistic expectation that Foxtel will increase the number of televised games in coming years.

The travel costs will be covered by foxtel money to an extent, but the money offered by foxtel is a set amount whilst the costs for team travels is a fluctuating amount depending on the number of teams involved.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast