Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NRC to be testing ground for rules overhaul

vCash

NRC to be testing ground for rules overhaul

RADICAL law changes are planned for Australian rugby’s newest tournament, including reduced points for penalty goals, as a new era of third-tier competition begins.

The National Rugby Championship, expected to kick off on August 21 and run through to November 1, will feature nine teams from around the country, with all non-selected Wallabies and Super Rugby stars to play each week despite not being paid any extra money.

And to ignite interest, the ARU is considering a number of new laws — including those suggested by fans on social media — to create an exciting product full of running rugby.

Some of the changes being considered are:

— Reducing the value of penalty goals and drop goals from three points to two

— Increasing the value of conversions from two points to three

— Preventing teams kicking penalty goals from outside the 22

— Stopping the clock for scrums, restarting it only when the ball is out

— Aggressive refereeing of breakdown infringements, with a team warning given for first offence, and immediate yellow card for a second offence by any player.

....more here...
    http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/t...-1226863628105

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I like the drop goal going down to 2. Maybe not the penalties though. I think the tries could be 6+1, like an american touchdown and conversion.

I don't see a problem having shots from outside the 22, shouldn't change that. I think some penalties could be frees instead. Or maybe some frees can give you your own throw? A penalty, a new short-arm penalty (no shot) and a free kick could be the new interpretations?

The scrums should be straight and steady with no "hit" anyway. Stopping the clock is an interesting idea and could be used for more than just scrums in rugby sometimes.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    the short arm penalties we had in the APC were awesome, they should bring them back. i cant see them agreeing to locking down kicking penalties to inside the 22 though, thats just silly and taking away a set of skills that is unique to Union, i.e.the dude with the big boot (there arent many) its like preventing scrum drives on the 5m line.

vCash
    Don't stop the clock for the actual scrum as again that is a skill required in Union. Just stop the clock if the scrum needs to be re-set.

I'd be interested to see what would happen if penalties and drop goals were reduced in value though.

vCash
    I think asking the 'fans' to decide what the rules should be is a recipe for disaster!
    Fans have no idea what makes a good game.

vCash
    As long as they don't leave it in the hands of the British press...

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Almost all of those changes seem like shit ideas. Reduce the point value of penalties and teams will give them away more willingly. Drop goals are fine as they are- they are rarely kicked and it is an art form that should be respected.

The only one I like is increasing the frequency of yellow cards. This will reduce the likelihood that teams commit penalties to slow down the opposition and increase the likelihood of tries being scored. Offences within the opposition 22 should be given yellow cards.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    the short arm penalties we had in the APC were awesome, .
    Nice

Name:  apc.png
Views: 347
Size:  85.1 KB

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    coz Stone Cold says so

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    ... I think the tries could be 6+1, like an american touchdown and conversion...
    What about 9+1 instead, which should devalue the drop goals and penalties as well? They obviously want more tries and less scrum resets.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    i cant see them agreeing to locking down kicking penalties to inside the 22 though, thats just silly and taking away a set of skills that is unique to Union
    Well it's not actually unique to Rugby. Two or three off-shot codes have place kicks. But It is one trial I'd be interestef to see. With the boots, ball and kicking tees used these days, goal kicking bears little resemblance to when the penalty sanctions wete first applied. Nothing worse to watch than a penalty-thon.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    What about 9+1 instead, which should devalue the drop goals and penalties as well? They obviously want more tries and less scrum resets.
    In all seriousness though, higher scores for tries means more people deliberately infringing under the philosophy of "I'd rather give away 3 than 7" That's why I don't really get into the idea of devaluing penalties or increasing tries too much. I do think that two unconverted tries at 10 vs two converted tries at 14 is probably a bit too much of a gap, which is why I would prefer 6+1; 12 vs 14 isn't so bad for missing conversions.

Last edited by chibi; 25-03-14 at 19:06.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Almost all of those changes seem like shit ideas. Reduce the point value of penalties and teams will give them away more willingly. Drop goals are fine as they are- they are rarely kicked and it is an art form that should be respected.

The only one I like is increasing the frequency of yellow cards. This will reduce the likelihood that teams commit penalties to slow down the opposition and increase the likelihood of tries being scored. Offences within the opposition 22 should be given yellow cards.
    I'm with James, most of these changes, unless they are being trialled for possible inclusion in the worldwide game seem to be specifically designed to make Aussie players better at what they are already good at and avoid what Aussie teams have been getting pumped by.

Toughening breakdown penalties for example will do nothing to help us manage the Kiwi teams blatantly falling on our ball and fringing. It will only make our players gaze in bewilderment at the ref while he completely ignores any penalties.

I think it should be played using the full and current laws (unless there is an IRB sanctioned trial of law variations)

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I'm with James, most of these changes, unless they are being trialled for possible inclusion in the worldwide game seem to be specifically designed to make Aussie players better at what they are already good at and avoid what Aussie teams have been getting pumped by.

Toughening breakdown penalties for example will do nothing to help us manage the Kiwi teams blatantly falling on our ball and fringing. It will only make our players gaze in bewilderment at the ref while he completely ignores any penalties.

I think it should be played using the full and current laws (unless there is an IRB sanctioned trial of law variations)
    agreed. leave it as it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

unless there is an IRB sanctioned trial of law variations
    +1

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    +1
    +1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast