Thread: Henry Speight keen to challenge Nick Cummins for Wallabies spot

vCash

Henry Speight keen to challenge Nick Cummins for Wallabies spot

Western Force and Australian representative winger Nick Cummins is known as the honey badger, but softly-spoken ACT Brumbies flyer Henry Speight just wants to be a Wallaby.

In a clash of the cult heroes, the Force's honey badger will square-off with the Brumbies' 'Bro with the Fro' when the Super Rugby teams meet in Perth on Saturday night.

It's also a perfect chance for Fijian-born Speight to take on incumbent Wallabies winger Cummins to prove he is ready for Test rugby when the International Rugby Board clears him for Australian eligibility in September.

Speight, nicknamed ''Silky'', is the Brumbies' quiet achiever with a nose for the tryline and an Afro which would make the Jackson 5 blush.

Cummins is Super Rugby's king of one-liners, dubbed the honey badger because it's the animal he most admires.

''One of the stories which inspired me is that it is documented that a honey badger killed a male lion in a one-on-one battle,'' Cummins said in 2012. ''What happened was that he clawed the canastas off the big fella, going the old one-two on the ball bag.''

Speight laughs along, but he knows the one-on-one contest could potentially propel him closer to his Wallabies dream.

''I like him, hey. Sometimes I don't understand his Australian terms, but he's a good man,'' Speight grinned.

''I've seen YouTube clips to see him talk about his meat pies [tries] and what not. Hopefully I get some meat pies this week, I think that's right.

''He's probably the benchmark No.11 winger in Australia right now so it's a good chance to test myself and see where I'm at for that goal and I'm excited.''

The IRB continually delayed Speight's Wallabies eligibility because of a playing stint in New Zealand at the end of 2011.

Now in his fourth campaign with the Brumbies, Speight's international limbo is over and he will be free to represent Australia from September.

Speight and Cummins share a try-scoring nous, but they're opposites off the field.

When Speight first arrived at the Brumbies in 2011, players had to write a light-hearted epitaph for their teammates. The words for Speight's tombstone were simply, 'Went quietly'.

Cummins played six Tests last year and has scored 10 tries in his 60 Super Rugby games.

Speight has scored 19 tries in his 47 Super Rugby appearances.

''It's another good test for myself to see where I'm at and there's nothing better than coming up against one of the best Wallabies wingers,'' Speight said.

The Brumbies scored just one try in their season opener against the Queensland Reds last weekend, despite having 70 per cent attacking field position.

Speight hopes to see more of the ball against the Force, which leaked 43 points in their round one loss to the Waratahs, and is confident the backline can add a clinical edge to its attack this week.

''All our focus is on rectifying our mistakes this week for an improved performance,'' Speight said.

''We're excited … our aim as a backline is to be attacking but to be a try-scoring one as well. Hopefully we see that this week. We blew our chances last week [against the Reds].

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/rugby-unio...#ixzz2uPmVQ8TW

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Based on the first round I would say the Wallaby back 3 are Speight/Folau/Turner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Based on the first round I would say the Wallaby back 3 are Speight/Folau/Turner.
    Not to jinxs the guy but turner is always 1 run away from injury. Speeight isnt avalable till mid sept also.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    I was basing it solely on match performance. Turner put in a pretty strong showing against the Brumbies.

Strange that the IRB would extend Speights qualification period. Thought it was a straight 3 years residency.

vCash
    I was basing it solely on match performance. Turner put in a pretty strong showing against the Brumbies.

Thought Speight was available as of end of last year??
    From the article

Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    It's also a perfect chance for Fijian-born Speight to take on incumbent Wallabies winger Cummins to prove he is ready for Test rugby when the International Rugby Board clears him for Australian eligibility in September.

vCash

Strange that the IRB would extend Speights qualification period. Thought it was a straight 3 years residency.
    It was because he left aus to play in the ITM cup so he had to start again.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Rings a bell now you mention it. Memory isn't what it used to be.

Mr Speight needs to make a decision and stick to it.