Thread: Fava to play for Woodies this weekend

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Fava to play for Woodies this weekend

It's good to see that common sense can prevail in this pro era and hopefully it may be seen as a bit of a goodwill gesture to the NSW clubs too.
    The Rats are probably less than happy about the prospect of a fully rested Fava rampaging at them though!
    Hope it is the telecast match so I can watch!

RugbyWA Support Wallaby Request For Fava Transfer

Thursday, 29 June 2006
    RugbyWA

Wallabies management have advised RugbyWA that they would like to provide Emirates Western Force vice captain Scott Fava with some “game time,” lacking in recent weeks while in camp at Coffs Harbour.

They have advised that it is not logistically possible for Scott to return to WA this weekend and play for his Perth club, Associates.

Accordingly, the Wallabies have asked that RugbyWA and Associates agree to a temporary transfer – for one week only – which would allow Scott to play for Sydney club, Eastwood, on Saturday.

Keen to support Scott and the Wallabies in whichever way they can, RugbyWA and Associates have agreed to the temporary transfer.

However, it must be noted that the temporary transfer has been granted because of the exceptional circumstances and following a request from Wallabies management. It should not be seen as setting a precedent!

Scott said his preference was to play for his Perth club but this was not feasible.

“I’m very keen to have a run and ideally, I’d like to be doing that with Associates but it’s not logistically possible, so I’m grateful to my Perth club and RugbyWA for approving the one week transfer,” Scott said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Randwick v Sydney University is the match being telecast here, you guys might have better luck though.

I'm a Woodies fan myself so it'll be interesting to see him slot in, even if only for a week.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagerian
    Randwick v Sydney University is the match being telecast here, you guys might have better luck though.

I'm a Woodies fan myself so it'll be interesting to see him slot in, even if only for a week.
    Nah, just me Sage, I get sat free to air so I can watch the Eastern States ABC's (and SBS's). If it is on ABC NSW Country then I can watch it.
    That said they do put a replay on ABC2 if anyone has that access in Perth.
    The matches are usually well worth watching and a pretty good rugby wrap at halftime too.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Having played in Southern Districts region, i have to say i follow them, but i have always liked randwick

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Nah, just me Sage, I get sat free to air so I can watch the Eastern States ABC's (and SBS's). If it is on ABC NSW Country then I can watch it.
    That said they do put a replay on ABC2 if anyone has that access in Perth.
    The matches are usually well worth watching and a pretty good rugby wrap at halftime too.
    I have just got a digital set top box (you can use them with your analogue TV if you don't have a LCD or plasma and it gives digital reception) and I'm pretty sure I get both of those on it, will check tonight.

vCash
    With digital television you get ABC2. On that channel late on Sunday (?) night they have the sydney comp match of the round.

vCash
    where and when?

vCash
    ABC2 (digital tv and fox sat (not sure about cable?)) 11.25pm on Sunday night, NSW Premier Rugby - Match of the round. Not sure whether this game is the match of the round (confirmation from our sydney friends?). see www.tvguide.com.au and search rugby union.

vCash
    RugbyFan, Randwick v Sydney University is the match being telecast here in Sydney.

vCash
    bugger, we won't get to see it then

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Talk about putting the Sydney spin on matters Mr Kimber!
    In what way is, "Keen to support Scott and the Wallabies in whichever way they can, RugbyWA and Associates have agreed to the temporary transfer." to be seen as "reluctance"?!
    Mr Kimber also chooses not to quote Fava as saying, “I’m very keen to have a run and ideally, I’d like to be doing that with Associates but it’s not logistically possible, so I’m grateful to my Perth club and RugbyWA for approving the one week transfer.”
    To my understanding it was quite clearly stated in every players contract what the situation was regarding off-season commitiments with local clubs if the player was not involved with Rep duties.
    I fully support RugbyWA taking a hard line on this as the players knew at the time that they were part of a building phase, not just S14 Squad members.
    I also fully support RugbyWA and Soaks allowing this special clearance for Fava to ensure he is staying match fit.
    The Sydneysiders can bleat all they like but they need to get their head around the fact that they are no longer the only place in Australia playing rugby or holding attraction to pro players.

Fava stepping out with Woodies

Ben Kimber
    Friday, June 30, 2006

WALLABIES No.8 Scott Fava will be in action for Eastwood against Warringah this weekend, although the Western Force are adamant his appearance should not set a precedent for their unused players.

Fava has not played for almost seven weeks, with his chances of a call-up to the Australian Test 22 diminishing with each weekend he stays off the park. Unlike others in the Wallabies squad who maintain affiliations with Sydney premiership clubs, Fava hasn't been able to return to play a reasonable standard of rugby and maintain match fitness.

Prop Guy Shepherdson joined the Rebels side two weeks ago and was immediately elevated into the Wallabies 22, an achievement Fava will hope to emulate at TG Millner Field this weekend. Fava's release is for only one week, a deal the Force appear to have reluctantly agreed to because it was "not logistically possible" for Fava to return and play in Perth, as he hadn't in the previous five weeks.

The current structure of Western Force players' involvement in rugby nationally, which they are hoping will be addressed to some degree with next season's enlarged APC, appears to be hampering representative aspirations.

Just as Fava has been a fringe Test player, fringe Wallabies squad members and potential Australia A players - such as Lachlan MacKay and Super 14 performer Gareth Hardy, who were both in the original train-on squad, and Test halfback Matt Henjak - have not been sighted.

Those three are part of a seven-player contingent the Force have kept in cotton wool, remaining out of action and concentrating on weights along with the likes of James Hilgendorf, Matt Hodgson, Junior Pelesasa and Angus Scott. All have club associations in Sydney and would be candidates for Australia A matches against Fiji in Adelaide (July 14) and Melbourne (July 22), but if picked would be without the match fitness which other contenders have maintained in club rugby in Brisbane and Sydney.

Force hopefuls have a late chance to impress with a match against Samoa next weekend, a game several players are known to be keenly awaiting.

Those players will have to make the most of their limited chances, particularly as WA officials are determined to inject their contracted players into a local competition that has been described as "about fourth-grade standard" by more than one Perth player.

Selection appears a tough task, as Australia A coach Laurie Fisher acknowledged. "At the moment we've got some quality players not playing football," Fisher said.

Fisher said he thought the expanded APC would address some issues about quality match time for players on the western seaboard next season. The June/July window in which they are not currently playing will remain in place next season, with the APC not kicking off until late July, a period crucial for selections.

If the likes of Henjak and Hardy struggle to make the grade in Australia A, the Force may be forced to put the players' needs ahead of long-term local goals and make Fava's move the rule rather than the exception.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Yeah, I wouldn't put much faith in the SMH spin, mate and that's coming from a Sydney-sider