Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: refs advantage discretion

vCash

refs advantage discretion

After watching the ref pull us up for two infringements after so called 'no advantage'. I began to wonder if the advantage law gives the ref to much power. The first penalty occurred 2m inside our half. But he called the penalty 10m off our line. Estimated 30m advantage. Then makes the mark half way between the 22 and the 10m line. A full 10m in front of where the offside by sias occured. . So hegives the Bulls 30m advantage, decodes that wasnt enough so gives them a 10m closer kick...i wasnt impressed. .. But then he did it again15 min later! !... Thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I didn't have too much issue with the way he called advantage, but I was concerned with his tendency to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to protect the head

C'mon the

Senior Player Contributor DarthMoose's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I didn't have too much issue with the way he called advantage, but I was concerned with his tendency to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to protect the head
    The Bulls number 7 didnt tackle below the shoulders all night. And then escaped with only a warning for that shoulder charge around the 55th/65th minute?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The charge into the ruck was illegal and should have been a Yellow also everytime any team gets within the 22 of the bulls line they give away a penalty (( thats how the Bulls win as it give to opposition 3 points )) they have the best kickers so knowing (( but not the force )) teams will get penilised in their own half and a penalty kick the bulls 3 points

vCash
    Good teams take the referee...........

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I thought he did ok, though i didn't like he called advantage and let it carry for the bulls for what seemed ages but for us advantage was over in a few meters

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Haven't seen the game (apart from the last 3 minutes), but:

Generally speaking, if it's a penalty advantage, the tendency is to give the non-offending team a fair bit more opportunity to accrue and convert the advantage. This might take (or seem like) a few minutes, but one needs to see if they can take the advantage. If it's a scrum, then it's probably only a pass or two before it's call over or off.

In any case, if advantage is called off, in a game with wired up ARs, one of them should assist in identifying the mark for the ref to come back to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkar View Post
    The charge into the ruck was illegal and should have been a Yellow
    you mean the one that was high, from the side and no arms?

I thought so.

First time I blew up for a high tackle, I knew i was stretching it, it was uppish, but hard to genuinely call. Getting away with that, the next one was a swinging arm to Kyle's chin, after they realized they could get away with a mugging as long as they didn't use a lead pipe it was on....all night.

A citation and five weeks on the sideline doesn't hep us at all and doesn't really penalize the team which obviously saw it as a genuine coached tactic (since they were all doing it)

C'mon the

vCash
    First one was at the 16:38 min Mark. The second was 61:25. Both were in excess of 25m gained with Ball in hand but were called back.

vCash
    Here's a question for our resident ref gurus....when the Bulls' drop-goal attempt came back off the crossbar weren't all the Bulls players in offside positions? I didn't see any of them retreating at that point.

vCash
    Pretty much every contributor in this forum would seem to be a ref guru!

If you are asking the folk who are referees, then I can't yet comment as I haven't seen the match. Over to RugbyRef or Sprogrugby...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    Here's a question for our resident ref gurus....when the Bulls' drop-goal attempt came back off the crossbar weren't all the Bulls players in offside positions? I didn't see any of them retreating at that point.
    Just watching a replay, it was touched by a Force player in flight. Therefore everyone onside. Mattfield was the only one with quick enough mind but not body.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    I thought he did ok, though i didn't like he called advantage and let it carry for the bulls for what seemed ages but for us advantage was over in a few meters
    I also felt that when we got an advantage it appeared to be over quickly when compared to the advantages to Bulls got.

vCash
    Not seen it yet either. :-(

WARURA Referee
    I do it because I love the game.

vCash
    That game would not win any new Rugby converts. But, considering the conditions, I for one found it a tough, absorbing contest. Enjoyed every minute. The result and what it meant for the team's standing might have helped too I suppose.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast