Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Squad Contract Renewals

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    A couple of questions about Savage.
    I don't know what he does for work but would Joe Savage give it up at his age and risk not making the wage? (he would not be a full squad player).
    Does he have Aus citizenship because if not would he even qualify as he has already played for the Hurricanes (I think) and would not qualify as an overseas development player.
    Perhaps someone can answer these.
    why would he not be a development player? doesn't matter that he played for the hurricanes, only matters if he plays for the national team.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    why would he not be a development player? doesn't matter that he played for the hurricanes, only matters if he plays for the national team.
    Correct in one sense but I would not expect the ARU to see him as a developing player at his age. Sorry Joe!

vCash
    He only needs to have lived in Australia for three years to be eligible for the Wallabies, surely he's there or thereabouts.

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    A couple of questions about Savage.
    I don't know what he does for work but would Joe Savage give it up at his age and risk not making the wage? (he would not be a full squad player).
    Does he have Aus citizenship because if not would he even qualify as he has already played for the Hurricanes (I think) and would not qualify as an overseas development player.
    Perhaps someone can answer these.
    I think someone mentioned about 6 months ago that Savage wasn't committed to trying to make it as a professional rugby player. Either way, he'd be a great person to be able to bring into the squad on a temporary basis if injuries strike.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    He was with the Chiefs. He would eat Hieberg and Van Wykes alive. Couldn't see him giving up a well paying job, think he's something to do with engineering for 40 grand a season as an EPS signing.
    Do know that the Force boy's hate doing contact training with him.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    He was with the Chiefs. He would eat Hieberg and Van Wykes alive. Couldn't see him giving up a well paying job, think he's something to do with engineering for 40 grand a season as an EPS signing.
    Do know that the Force boy's hate doing contact training with him.
    Good on him - still playing at a relatively high level whilst retired.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    So we got a player from Japan, just not the one we were hoping for!!

Front page updated with Akihito Yamada and also the Wider Training Group.

As Akihito is an ARU Concessional Signing, there is still a spot for The Honeybadger should negotiations be successful before the end of the year

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Senior Player
    vCash
    So what do we think for a starting lineup now the squad is complete?

1. Cowan
    2. Charles
    3. Faulkner
    4. Wykes
    5. Steenkamp
    6. Cottrell
    7. Hodgson
    8. McCalman
    9. Mathewson
    10. Ebersohn
    11. Brache
    12. Godwin
    13. Rasolea
    14. Morahan
    15. Haylett-Petty

16. Tessman
    17. Hoskins
    18. Hieberg
    19. Coleman
    20. Stander
    21. Prior
    22. Holmes
    23. Nikoro?

Other

Walton
    Alcock (in 23 somewhere?)
    Mafi (in 23 somewhere?)
    Burton
    Dellit
    Scott
    Yamada

Plus EPS - Abel, RHP, Lacey, Louwrens, Van Wyk

The depth is looking really good now. Especially when I am struggling to get Alcock, Mafi and Burton in the 23

vCash
    fast track RHP! that bloke had a blinder in the NRC!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    So what do we think for a starting lineup now the squad is complete?

1. Cowan
    2. Charles
    3. Faulkner
    4. Wykes
    5. Steenkamp
    6. Cottrell
    7. Hodgson
    8. McCalman
    9. Mathewson
    10. Ebersohn
    11. Brache
    12. Godwin
    13. Rasolea
    14. Morahan
    15. Haylett-Petty

16. Tessman
    17. Hoskins
    18. Hieberg
    19. Coleman
    20. Stander
    21. Prior
    22. Holmes
    23. Nikoro?

Other

Walton
    Alcock (in 23 somewhere?)
    Mafi (in 23 somewhere?)
    Burton
    Dellit
    Scott
    Yamada

Plus EPS - Abel, RHP, Lacey, Louwrens, Van Wyk

The depth is looking really good now. Especially when I am struggling to get Alcock, Mafi and Burton in the 23
    I think Mafi might surprise some people this year.....I haven't seen much, but what I have seen makes me think he's more of a sharpie than either Steenkamp or Wykes (as in potential to be a real handful)

Alcock will hit the 23 if fit, no question, but who do you leave out. I think Chris would make a better 6 than Stander, so unless we are looking for bulk I think that's where I'd go. Mafi would be a good option for 6, since he has the potential to be a good lineout jumper, but still looks mobile enough for the flank.

Marcel will have to watch his back, he can't afford a bad game with the legions of good, quick outside backs lining up to take a stab at him.

I finally feel (with the signing of Yamada) that we can afford to keep that spot open for the badge without exposing ourselves to too much risk. The young outside backs which we have signed recently all look quick, capable and most importantly willing. That was the thing I linked most about Nikoro and Yamadas highlight reels, they looked like the we're really working hard.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    they looked like the we're really working hard.
    I think that's all we want from all our players this season, and hopefully the results will take care of themselves.

It has been a while coming but I think that this is the first year that we appear to have a really well balanced squad on paper with enough depth to last the season as a competitive force.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    with enough depth to last the season as a competitive force.
    I see what you did there

C'mon the

vCash
    I'm a little concerned at prop - Ollie's a bit young and Heiburg hasn't shown much yet, but both have great potential. Can Joe Savage suit up in Super Rugby, if we get injuries?
    Hooker is pretty stable, with Tessman a great back-up for Charles, and Abel pretty handy if there's an injury.
    Locks look more settled, with Coleman and possibly Mafi pushing Wykes and Steenkamp; Rory needs to find out if he's a thug or a rugby player (either has their niche in the team)
    Back row looks like an embarrassment of riches, which might lead to Mafi playing lock
    The halves look settled, with Alby and Sias or Ian and Zack, and with Turner, Burton and Godwin as injury cover
    At centres I'd say probably Godwin and Rasolea, with Burton and Brache as back-ups
    The back-three have DHP, Morahan, Yamada, Nikoro, Brache, Lacey, Dellit and Scott (not seen much of him), so plenty of cover.

No real superstar players (such as Giteau, JO'C or even Pocock or Cummins) but I think the team's better for it as it's full of hard workers. It does mean we lack the razzle-dazzle which can split open a match (eg, Quade, when he's on form) but also means other teams and commentators underestimate us and we can try and retain the 'dark-horse' image.

I think the team's about as strong as last year, but with the biggest potential issue being prop rather than lock. I'm not sure about getting to the finals, because injuries can play such a big part, but if Ollie or Heiburg steps up the way some of our previously unheralded front-rowers have in times of injury crisis, we could be there or thereabouts again.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    From what I hear re current training, Foley is impressed with the current form of Ollie and Heiburg. Ollie came off the back of a very long debut season and had some good games in the NRC, though the final in Brisbane seemed probably one game too far whilst Heiburg did not show much at all last year but the word from the first week or so of training, where there has been a scrum focus, is that he is already ahead of where he was last season. Fingers crossed that this translates into a step up in game form for both of them too.

Player
    vCash
    It's my understanding the Heiberg developed a couple nagging injuries during the Force A outings last season.
    Has worked through them allowed himself to heal, and is raring to go.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast